Is Helen a racist?

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I have seen/experienced enough racism over the years to recognise when someone is being racist and or is getting very close to the mark on racism and Helen, with that sneering look that she had on her face, saying what she said I believe was deliberately trying to get at Brian with racial overtones/undertones, whichever way you wanna call it.

BB should not have bought her back in either. When they bring in controversial characters to stir things up it has resulted in racial controversy a number of times and I'm mincing my words there somewhat. BB never seem to learn and or they do but they carry on regardless all because a loud minority of viewers moan if they don't get arguments.

As have I, but I still stand by my opinion that what she said was only meant to offend him but definitely no racial overtones. Maybe your experiences have impaired the way you interpret things or maybe mine have, which is why we probably won't agree on this.

I didn't watch much of last year's series so I can't really comment on that.
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    Big_Fan wrote: »
    Brian was FAR from calm :o He was definitely shouting, are you trying to tell me you didn't see him raise his voice? Why did they all go up to him telling him to "calm down" if he was already calm?
    Well yeah he was pissed off - ****'s sake wouldn't you be? But if you think that was 'aggressive', bloody hell where do you live? Disneyland?
  • brittanywattsBBbrittanywattsBB Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Year she is ( I will do anything to get her out the house)
  • HailHenrikHailHenrik Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »
    Well yeah he was pissed off - ****'s sake wouldn't you be? But if you think that was 'aggressive', bloody hell where do you live? Disneyland?

Half the house went over to hold him back from Helen but he wasnt aggressive and was calm

Almost as crazy as the original post. Only almost though. Those thinking it was racist - it says a lot more about your own views on "stereotypes" than anything else
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,558
    Forum Member
    As have I, but I still stand by my opinion that what she said was only meant to offend him but definitely no racial overtones. Maybe your experiences have impaired the way you interpret things or maybe mine have, which is why we probably won't agree on this.

I didn't watch much of last year's series so I can't really comment on that.

The series with racism in the air were Celebrity BB with Shilpa Shetty being the main target/victim, BB 6 had racial tensions bigtime and I think Mo around BB 8 had people giving him a hard time and I suspected they had a racial problem with him too.

In BB 5, Ahmed who originally came to the UK as an asylum seeker had loud mouth Emma charge up to him and say "WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO COME HERE"! She meant why did he choose to come to the UK too not the BB house.

BB 5 was the first BB where BB deliberately went "Nasty" and were advertising it as such and based as such too! Some of their psychologists quit in protest about it in advance of the show as they knew with the characters being selected and the way BB wanted to stir things up that it would result in fights and extreme behaviour and it did.
    Forum Member
    Like I already told you, back when Ron Atkinson was caught saying that, there were some people saying that it wasn't racist when it was definitely a racist thing that he said. There are always people who try and deny racism even when its blatant and there was one poster coming across as in denial earlier on in the thread and no I'm not referring to you either.

but YOU were referring to me in your earlier post when you asked was I one of the people. so NO I am not as I DO think what he said was racist and don't see how it could be interpreted otherwise but I DON'T think what Helen said was racist at all, yes it was vile but definitely not racist.
    Forum Member
    but YOU were referring to me in your earlier post when you asked was I one of the people. so NO I am not as I DO think what he said was racist and don't see how it could be interpreted otherwise but I DON'T think what Helen said was racist at all, yes it was vile but definitely not racist.

I asked you if you were a person who saw no evil/heard no evil when it comes to racism. The poster in clear denial and or trying to go for a wind up posted earlier on in the thread and it wasn't you.

p.s. Who was being racist in your view then?
    Forum Member
    But he WASN'T screaming! For god's sake, I thought the man was reasonably calm given the crap she was coming out with. She was just as aggressive with her sneering and 'ooh come on then, Brian'. People get angry in the house all the time. Why is Brian suddenly being called 'aggressive' because of how he responded to Helen's goading? Danny was lauded for his outburst and smashing up pizza boxes. I wonder what people would have said if Brian had done the same? OMG he's a danger! He might knife everybody in the night!
    There's definitely a smell around these threads, all I'm saying.

I think you'll find you've contradicted yourself there. And YES I do think that was aggressive, what do you call someone getting up raising their voice and pointing at you hurling insults? That is definitely NOT "calm". If that's what you call calm, then wow I'd hate see what your definition of angry is.

And no, I live in Ireland actually :D
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    HailHenrik wrote: »
    Half the house went over to hold him back from Helen but he wasnt aggressive and was calm

Almost as crazy as the original post. Only almost though. Those thinking it was racist - it says a lot more about your own views on "stereotypes" than anything else
    That's your viewpoint and you're welcome to it. Racism can be subtle, you know? But whatever. Painting Brian as some raging dangerous lunatic is the only crazy thing here.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I think so but of course her deluded supporters will leap to her defence.

Do have any evidence if her actually being racist. Or are you just inventing this?
    Forum Member
    I asked you if you were a person who saw no evil/heard no evil when it comes to racism. The poster in clear denial and or trying to go for a wind up posted earlier on in the thread and it wasn't you.

p.s. Who was being racist in your view then?

Your replying to it as a response to mine made me think you were asking me specifically.

P.s: I don't think anyone was racist.
    Forum Member
    Your replying to it as a response to mine made me think you were asking me specifically.

P.s: I don't think anyone was racist.

I was making a point about how some people never see any racism ever even when it is clear there has been a racist incident and I asked you if you were that kind of person. As I was asking you a question, that is different to saying you were like that.

Re bib: I re-read the post, I think you must have been referring back to Ron Atkinson.
    Forum Member
    The series with racism in the air were Celebrity BB with Shilpa Shetty being the main target/victim, BB 6 had racial tensions bigtime and I think Mo around BB 8 had people giving him a hard time and I suspected they had a racial problem with him too.

In BB 5, Ahmed who originally came to the UK as an asylum seeker had loud mouth Emma charge up to him and say "WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO COME HERE"! She meant why did he choose to come to the UK too not the BB house.

BB 5 was the first BB where BB deliberately went "Nasty" and were advertising it as such and based as such too! Some of their psychologists quit in protest about it in advance of the show as they knew with the characters being selected and the way BB wanted to stir things up that it would result in fights and extreme behaviour and it did.

Ok, I was too young to be watching Big Brother when BB6 and BB5 were aired. So I'll have to take your word on that. I don't however get why you are telling me all this?
    Forum Member
    Ok, I was too young to be watching Big Brother when BB6 and BB5 were aired. So I'll have to take your word on that. I don't however get why you are telling me all this?

I thought you might be quite young which explains the difference in experiences on this matter as my expeirences go back 30 years.

I did already cover why I was bringing up previous BB's where racism crops up, it happens when BB deliberately stirs it up and brings in stirring characters. That is what they done in those previous BB's I mentioned and it resulted in racism/racial tensions in those series and this time they bought back Helen Wood who is obviously someone who is/gets very controversial in various ways. I did say earlier, they shouldn't of bought Helen back. They should have kept the original house mates in there instead of going for that stupid 4 person eviction.
    Forum Member
    I was making a point about how some people never see any racism ever even when it is clear there has been a racist incident and I asked you if you were that kind of person. As I was asking you a question, that is different to saying you were like that.

Re bib: I re-read the post, I think you must have been referring back to Ron Atkinson.

Okay I get your point. As you replied to me specifically askign if I was "one of those people" came across to me as you insinuating that I was.. a rhetorical question of sort if you will. But we are on the same page now.

Yes I agree that Ron Atkinson was racist in what he said but I do not however agree that Helen had any racial undertones in her insults towards Brian. Don't get me wrong I am not defending her but I just genuinely don't think she meant it like that.
  • Norn2Norn2 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone posted a list of her tweet and, she seems to have a lot of prejudices. and yeah definitely a racist.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Norn2 wrote: »
    someone posted a list of her tweet and, she seems to have a lot of prejudices. and yeah definitely a racist.

What racist things did she actually say?
    Forum Member
    I thought you might be quite young which explains the difference in experiences on this matter as my expeirences go back 30 years.

I did already cover why I was bringing up previous BB's where racism crops up, it happens when BB deliberately stirs it up and brings in stirring characters. That is what they done in those previous BB's I mentioned and it resulted in racism/racial tensions in those series and this time they bought back Helen Wood who is obviously someone who is/gets very controversial in various ways. I did say earlier, they shouldn't of bought Helen back. They should have kept the original house mates in there instead of going for that stupid 4 person eviction.

Maybe so but I have had my fair share, if not directly at me then to very close family members.

I understand the point you are making, and in fact do agree with you on the fact they shouldn't have brought the other people in as I feel it overshadows the original housemates. Although I don't think it's fair of you to assume that just because racism has occured before when they've brought in other housemates, doesn't mean it is what happened in tonight's show. Yes Helen IS contraversial and maybe is racist, I don't know but judging solely from what little evidence we have from the show, it is impossible to make that judgement as the evidence only shows her arguing and perhaps going too far in some, but there is no racial undertones at all in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.