Options

4 personality types - dopamine serotonin testosterone oestrogen

13»

Comments

• Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. Another alpha/beta/omega philosophy, except now it's involving brain chemistry and won't end well for anyone who decides to try and change theirs.

According to this I'm dopamine, but I put this down to my family pushing me to experience new things and I love an adrenaline rush. I also value loyalty (serotonin), use logic and analysis (I wouldn't be able to do my job otherwise) as well as being emotionally contained (testosterone). I can think of the bigger picture and I'm diplomatic (oestrogen) as well.

It appears they've decided to take some gender neutral traits, and label them with two hormones that aren't really considered relevant to gender, and then taken traits that are considered mainly male or female and labelled them with either testosterone or oestrogen respectively. As an aside everyone has all 4 of the hormones, but testosterone is higher in men than oestrogen, and oestrogen is higher in women than testosterone. In some ways it's also quite insulting to both genders, by saying that men aren't able to empathise or women can't use logic for instance (although some of the arguments with the wife do back this up :D ).

The fun part is going to be the moment someone decides that they want to change their personality. The moment you start messing with hormones there's the massive potential to do some real damage both mentally and physically, and quite often the damage can be permanent. I know a few trans people who have experimented with hormones without medical supervision and the results have included psychosis, sterility and impotence, and bloodclots. While these are risks any trans person takes, even with medical supervision, doing it alone with no actual clue makes it worse and the desired effects weren't even achievable anyway with the regime they were using.

I just want to know what the fascination is with putting people in boxes. It's bad enough when it's actually backed up by "proper" science, but when it's pseudo science it's much worse. At least proper scientists and doctors don't mind having their work and theories peer reviewed so they can speak with authority.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    I just want to know what the fascination is with putting people in boxes. It's bad enough when it's actually backed up by "proper" science, but when it's pseudo science it's much worse. At least proper scientists and doctors don't mind having their work and theories peer reviewed so they can speak with authority.

It's all a bit arbitrary isn't it? I don't think anyone's meant to take it seriously, though. It's as daft as asking someone if they're Capricorn or Taurus (although there are 12 personality types in that made-up nonsense rather than a more restrictive four).

I think there's a natural tendency to want to compartmentalise people because it makes it easier to make quick judgements about certain archetypes or stereotypes rather than consider people as having complex personalities. It's also neat to think of oneself as a certain type since that gives us a sense of being part of a particular group and gives us a sense of belonging.

Next week: assessing your personality type depending on whether you have your toilet roll hanging from the front or the back of the roll....
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Aren't you in a minimum wage job? And you regularly complain about your lot in life. No way you fit in to the 'testosterone' bracket.

What's wage got to do with it?

Tbh looking at them I don't fit any
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    It's all a bit arbitrary isn't it? I don't think anyone's meant to take it seriously, though. It's as daft as asking someone if they're Capricorn or Taurus (although there are 12 personality types in that made-up nonsense rather than a more restrictive four).

I think there's a natural tendency to want to compartmentalise people because it makes it easier to make quick judgements about certain archetypes or stereotypes rather than consider people as having complex personalities. It's also neat to think of oneself as a certain type since that gives us a sense of being part of a particular group and gives us a sense of belonging.

Next week: assessing your personality type depending on whether you have your toilet roll hanging from the front or the back of the roll....

I cut the cardboard tube out and pull mine from the middle outwards. - I am an original thinker not bound by conventions. :)
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I'm none of those things. I am in a void between maybe and absolutely not, erring on the side of stop looking at me with a dash of Sainsbury's in the rain.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cut the cardboard tube out and pull mine from the middle outwards. - I am an original thinker not bound by conventions. :)
    lightweight. I wrap the start of the roll around a puppy, and if he escapes with all the roll then I run around the street trying to catch him with my pants round my ankles. Sometimes I just use the puppy.
    I am a psychopathic thinker not bound by institutions. :)
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    lightweight. I wrap the start of the roll around a puppy, and if he escapes with all the roll then I run around the street trying to catch him with my pants round my ankles. Sometimes I just use the puppy.
    I am a psychopathic thinker not bound by institutions. :)

:D:D:D We are not worthy. :D

BIB This may only be a matter of time. ;-)