Options

Disappointing Toys you had as a Child?

Comments

• Options
    bunny93bunny93 Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Loving this thread. :)

Does anyone else remember badge it? I remember when I was about ten I pestered my parents for ages about wanting one, it wasn't even my birthday or Christmas but they eventually gave in and I remember it being about 30 pounds which was a lot of money to them. They got it for me as a surprise and I made a few badges and got bored of it after a couple of days and it got chucked into my toy box never to be played with again..

I feel bad now. What a waste of my money. I never even really wore badges either so I'm not sure why I wanted it so much. I think a friend of mine must have had it and I was probably jealous
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunny93 wrote: »
    Loving this thread. :)

Does anyone else remember badge it? I remember when I was about ten I pestered my parents for ages about wanting one, it wasn't even my birthday or Christmas but they eventually gave in and I remember it being about 30 pounds which was a lot of money to them. They got it for me as a surprise and I made a few badges and got bored of it after a couple of days and it got chucked into my toy box never to be played with again..

I feel bad now. What a waste of my money. I never even really wore badges either so I'm not sure why I wanted it so much. I think a friend of mine must have had it and I was probably jealous
    OH I remember buy my son one of those and like you it lasted only a few days, cant remember how much it cost now.. but disappointing toy..
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Flight deck or something like that....fire a plane up some fishing line and land it on the flight deck. Rubbish.

:D:D:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Airfix-flight-deck-game-original-condition-/252045073569?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xCApJ4mtY1qMXwk7Qtphm03xec4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I actually loved it even though I couldnt set it up because my dad said it was in the way, after almost garroting himself on it on Christmas day.
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    I'm surised the Casio Vhl-1 hasn't been mentioned or doesn't it count?
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly a toy but someone bought me a painting by numbers oil kit (do they still do those?). I though of myself as a budding artist so I was a mite insulted. Plus I just couldn't see the point. But so as to please the givers, I spent hours laboriously painting in all the little bits then put it on the windowsill to dry. Whereupon a breeze swept the curtains across the whole lot making a pointless exercise even more pointless.>:(
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread!

I remember one year getting a Dr Who board game.

This was the 70s though and it bared no resemblence to todays hi-tech versions.

But the picture on the front of the box looked really exciting and I couldn't wait to help the Doctor beat the Daleks.

So I was a little underwhelmed when I opened it to find out it was just a glorified version of snakes and ladders!

With hindsight I doubt it was an official game and was probably something my mum got off a market stall!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Great thread!

I remember one year getting a Dr Who board game.

This was the 70s though and it bared no resemblence to todays hi-tech versions.

But the picture on the front of the box looked really exciting and I couldn't wait to help the Doctor beat the Daleks.

So I was a little underwhelmed when I opened it to find out it was just a glorified version of snakes and ladders!

With hindsight I doubt it was an official game and was probably something my mum got off a market stall!

:D:D I've still got mine. It was crap but it was as official as you could get back then ie part of the Denys Fisher range.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get painting by numbers as the 'quiet' toy - but could never get the paint to last for the entire painting so had various half done splodges.

Also had those things where you had to tap in pins and then wind coloured string round to make patterns - or a pile of knots.

The best was a sheet of black card where you chiselled away the top to make a white picture outline. It came with a wicked sharp Lino cutter type tool that over the course of a Boxing Day wounded the entire extended family.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember fuzzy felts? The circus or farm one with lil animals you'd stick on the bored? Such a simple idea but I LOVED it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive been wracking my brains and I dont think I had one disappointing toy, I have fantastic memories about christmas morning. I've been slowly building up a collection of old classic toys that I've lost over the years.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple Ipad
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    Was anybody disappointed by Big Trak?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anonimus wrote: »
    Was anybody disappointed by Big Trak?

Took friggin ages to programme. Took me all day to programme it to deliver an apple to my dad :D:D

Star Bird anyone...looked good but didnt do a lot!
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Anyone remember fuzzy felts? The circus or farm one with lil animals you'd stick on the bored? Such a simple idea but I LOVED it

Loved Fuzzy Felts :D

We really ought to have a 'Fave' childhood toys thread .... people keep getting distracted from the disappointments ;-)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Stretch Armstrong. Nobody ever had a Stretch Armstrong or Stretch Monster that didn't have at least one repair plaster stuck to it. Either the goop was going everywhere or it had gone rock hard and wouldn't stretch.

Vertibird. Crap, cheap helicopter toy on a stick that just went round and round in a circle.

Dukes of Hazzard Stunt Barn Toy. Ad made it look exciting, it wasn't

TCR racing sets. Slotless slot car set in the mould of Scalextric, with a "change lane" gimmick, that never worked

Star Wars Rebel Transport. Nowhere near as cool as the Millennium Falcon toy, and just looked like a big turd.

All Tomy LCD hand held games, including those "3D" ones you looked into like binoculars

Speaking of which, those crap, red things you looked into and put those picture wheels inside, clicking them to go round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Stretch Armstrong. Nobody ever had a Stretch Armstrong that didn't have at least one repair plaster stuck to it. Either the goop was going everywhere or it had gone rock hard and wouldn't stretch.

My brother did .... lasted years, which was amazing for him considering he broke everything or it got confiscated for terrorizing me with (Stop Boris and his robot we are not allowed to mention!)
  • Options
    K2kK2k Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    As a 6 year old kid, I was very new to the world of toys and has some high expectations.

When I got my first Transformer, Soundwave, I expected it not only to play tapes (it transformed into a cassette player) but also to speak and maybe even walk around.

When I was a bit older, I was very disappointed with Kong Man, a sort of vertical ball maze where you guide a ball bearing up a mountain. Fun for 20 minutes, then no point in playing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother did .... lasted years, which was amazing for him considering he broke everything or it got confiscated for terrorizing me with (Stop Boris and his robot we are not allowed to mention!)

I just bought a Stop Boris :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything which was "grow your own". Those things you had to leave in water.,,then after a week they were like a slimy 3" what ever it was meant to be. Like grow your own alien. It looked awesome on packet and advert, rubbish in real life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I just bought a Stop Boris :D:D

:o Is it a modern version or original? I was thinking the other night that I'd love to buy my now middle aged brother one :D
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm psychopathic Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer and I asked my poppa for a cap gun and got a Kalashnikov instead. Perhaps that's where it all went wrong.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was brilliant, I could draw no end of unrecognisable crap on mine.

I could only draw stairs:(
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Anything which was "grow your own". Those things you had to leave in water.,,then after a week they were like a slimy 3" what ever it was meant to be. Like grow your own alien. It looked awesome on packet and advert, rubbish in real life

Like "Sea Monkeys"

Who thought they were going to be like those little people that appeared in the advert inside every comic, instead of barely visible crumbs in the bowl? >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Like "Sea Monkeys"

Who thought they were going to be like those little people that appeared in the advert inside every comic, instead of barely visible crumbs in the bowl? >:(

Yes!! I agree they were pants. Also I can't remember of it was actually called flubber or Goo? I know it was based off the film flubber. It was rubbish and not like the adverts either. Only good for making farty sounds and making your hands smell of chemicals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o Is it a modern version or original? I was thinking the other night that I'd love to buy my now middle aged brother one :D

Original, full working order, virtually unplayed with. They are pretty rare, dont come up very often been looking on ebay for years. Found it at a car boot sale last Sunday, cost me £10, in box with web sheet, gun and cardboard ramp