Options

Sky Movies - Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
Forum Member
I've started watching Interstellar on Sky Movies now that it's available to view. I'm 45 minutes into the movie and already bored rigid.

I began watching late last night but quickly fell asleep. I re-wound to the start this morning and struggled valiantly until the 45 minute point.

I'm tired of watching Matthew McConaughey mumble his way through, Anne Hathaway couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag and Michael Caine looks like he's heavily sedated.

Is there any point in me continuing?.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    I've started watching Interstellar on Sky Movies now that it's available to view. I'm 45 minutes into the movie and already bored rigid.

I began watching late last night but quickly fell asleep. I re-wound to the start this morning and struggled valiantly until the 45 minute point.

I'm tired of watching Matthew McConaughey mumble his way through, Anne Hathaway couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag and Michael Caine looks like he's heavily sedated.

Is there any point in me continuing?.

Well I thought the first 45 minutes, or however long it is until he leaves Earth, is the best part of the film.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a long drawn out, very dumbed down, rip off of various earlier sci-fi works, including a number of Star Trek episodes, DS9 in particular.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    Well I thought the first 45 minutes, or however long it is until he leaves Earth, is the best part of the film.

I agree with this. It's funny that the movie was being hyped up to be the sci-fi event of our generation and yet it's the character centric first hour that's the strongest element. Once the plot really kicks in when they're in space, it asks you to make numerous leaps of faith. The sheer spectacle was to me that strong that I kind of forgot how humorously elaborate the plot really was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    indiekid76 wrote: »

LOL....your encouragement to continue watching is appreciated :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. It's funny that the movie was being hyped up to be the sci-fi event of our generation and yet it's the character centric first hour that's the strongest element. Once the plot really kicks in when they're in space, it asks you to make numerous leaps of faith. The sheer spectacle was to me that strong that I kind of forgot how humorously elaborate the plot really was.

It's odd, but I did a search for an existing thread on Interstellar but failed to find one :confused:
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until you see the significance of the book cases. It's so pathetic!!
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it when it came out on Blu, thought it was utter tripe.Gave it a second chance on Friday and i admit i was wrong and i would like to correct my first impression.

Jesus what an awful pile of steaming s**t this is, seriously??
    How much good could of been done in the world with the money spent on this.
    Nolan should be ashamed.

Built up in the press like the emporers new clothes, words fail me.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEFINITELY needs second viewing, or even a third
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'interstellar' probably is the sci-fi event of this generation and will eventually be recognised as such. So yes watch it to the end. And then watch it again.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    It's odd, but I did a search for an existing thread on Interstellar but failed to find one :confused:

Here you go:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1782082

Personally i LOVED Interstellar. I never understood the criticism it took. Much better film than TDKR.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You started watching a three hour movie late at night...and wonder why you fell asleep...???
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I bought the blu ray when it came out in March. I was really looking forward to it. Just thought it was ok but far too long. Definitely a film to see once only. Sold it on E Bay the following week. Five months on and I can't remember a thing about it.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    It was just another one of Nolan's overrated piles of nonsense. They're all so "clever", just like Inception. Characters were good but I was waiting for the payoff - that just never came.

Had I known he was behind the wheel, I'd have not bought it. Just like anything by Shyamalan!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    Had I known he was behind the wheel, I'd have not bought it.
    Dear Lord, how could you not know?? :confused:

Anyway, it's terrible. A poor man's 2001 and that's being generous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    The film is about children growing up and being separated from this growth, be it by work or divorce. I think it's a grown-up sci-fi film in that it plays best to a grown-up audience.

It still works pretty well as a sci-fi epic, and yes, the ending is a little pants. It's still an exceptional piece.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »
    Watched it when it came out on Blu, thought it was utter tripe.Gave it a second chance on Friday and i admit i was wrong and i would like to correct my first impression.

Jesus what an awful pile of steaming s**t this is, seriously??
    How much good could of been done in the world with the money spent on this.
    Nolan should be ashamed.

Built up in the press like the emporers new clothes, words fail me.

Finished watching the rest of Interstellar on Fast Forward x12 this morning. What a bloody awful movie. Can't honestly find one positive thing to say in it's favour :(
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the overall storyline was an interesting one. The characters were good.

But it is too long, and I remember clock-watching whilst watching it.

I think I would give it a 7/10.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    'interstellar' probably is the sci-fi event of this generation and will eventually be recognised as such. So yes watch it to the end. And then watch it again.
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Here you go:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1782082

Personally i LOVED Interstellar. I never understood the criticism it took. Much better film than TDKR.

I really enjoyed it, but I can understand why many also don't like it. It's definitely Nolan's most polarising film.

My fave SF film of recent time, however, is Ex Machina.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering it's supposed to be 'smart' sci-fi, I think it's telling that McConaughey waits until just before going through the wormhole to explain to his crew of scientists what a wormhole actually is. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prior to viewing Interstellar is considered that even if I didn't appreciate the plot or acting I would be totally in awe of the graphics......but I wasn't.

2001: A Space Odyssey was made 46 years earlier and cinematically leaves Interstellar for dust.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt exactly the same - it was on sky store for ages and I thought ild wait for it to be on sky movies. I got up to the point the wave crashes into them and give up - it really is shite. Matthew is a chore to watch and it was just slow and boring. I've heard good things so I might give it another go but very disappointed with it.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member
    Saw it in the cinema, I wasn't impressed at all. Very dull and overlong.