Which box to buy off eBay?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
Forum Member
✭✭
Does it matter which box I buy off eBay?

There are the original boxes which have 'Sky HD' instead of 'Sky+HD' written on them, are the boxes any better/worse or is it just a simple logo change?

And are there any boxes known to be unreliable?

Thanks

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you want to avoid original Thomson boxes that haven't had the PSU replaced as they will fail eventually. once they have had the PSU replaced (with a satcure kit) then they will run fine.

if you need component output then you need to get an original Thomson box (none of the others have component out).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they say SkyHD on the box, dont bother..those are the early early HD boxes...stick with Sky+HD boxes, not remarkable difference in performance.

but they are more uptodate.
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the boxes have their quirks.

Of all the brands, the Thomson boxes are the least reliable. All but the very last ones have poorly built power supplies (PSUs) in them. These power supplies are prone to premature failure and are the cause of around 95% of all problems with Thomson boxes. Repair is pretty simple and cheap (very cheap if you or a friend can solder). Once properly repaired, a Thomson generally makes for a solid reliable unit (I have a repaired power supply in mine as well as an upgraded hard disk, and although it is not a lightning fast as some of the newest boxes, I would not change it for any other model). If you do get a Thomson, make sure it has a Satcure power supply in it and you should be fine.

Of the other brands, there have been a mountain of threads on here and on AVF complaining about the poor standard definition picture quality from Amstrad boxes (and to a lesser extent Samsungs as well).

If I were buying a box from ebay today I would go for either a Thomson (with a Satcure power supply) or a Pace. If you need to connect to your TV via component as opposed to HDMI, your only option is a Thomson. All but the last of these had component as well as HDMI. The latter Thomsons and all other brands are HDMI only as far as HD outputs are concerned (obviously every box has SD connections like SCART as well).

I hope this helps. Good luck.