Options

Players who you once loved but became unloved when they moved to another club.

NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
Forum Member
✭✭
I loved Paul Ince who was a fantastic player for Manchester United and England. He was sold by Fergie to Inter Milan which shocked many Utd fans as they obviously never saw it coming. For me though , it was when he pulled on the Liverpool shirt. To add insult to injury, some of the comments he made as a Liverpool player about Utd completely ruined my memories of his time with us. :(

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Cole and Andy Carroll are the ones who come to mind for me. Most strikers we've had don't remain at Newcastle for too long, Alan Shearer being an exception to the rule.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Michael Owen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    robbie savage. loved him at leicester but could'nt stand him when he left
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Figo :mad:
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Figo :mad:

You see this is why we don't seem to be able to get on .

It's just down to differing opinions , though .

I always loved Figo's play before , during and after his Barca's days . Just as I still love Ibra .

Its just a different way of looking at things , surely ?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do know Figo left Barcelona to go to Real Madrid don't you? And the thread is about once loved players becoming unloved after they moved to another club, you can still appreciate their talents, even if you "hate" them for the move.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Alan Smith left Leeds to go to Man utd after he was Quoted as saying he would Never sign for them,
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    Michael Owen

Absolutely

Although for each of his moves if you are fair you could understand why -
    1) Real cos he wanted to play abroad for a top team,
    2) Newcastle cos he wanted to get back into the Eng squad and that was best done playing for an English team and when LFC baulked at the price NUFC didn't then (the worst one!!)
    3) Man U - but I guess when your choice is MU or Hull which it was for Owen then you cannot blame him for choosing MU.

It's just some of the quotes since his MU move that are the most annoying aspect - yes join them but don't say you'd always dreamed of playing for them or whatever he did say!!
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    You do know Figo left Barcelona to go to Real Madrid don't you? And the thread is about once loved players becoming unloved after they moved to another club, you can still appreciate their talents, even if you "hate" them for the move.

Funnily enough I do recall him moving to Real Madrid :)

I remember being absolutely gutted when he left Barca for the enemy but I certainly didn't hate him.

There's no place for real "hate" in football IMO .

It saddens me when I see all those 'hate filled' faces around the touchlines in matches , swearing and gesturing at the other team's players taking corners or throw- ins.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that kind of outlook, how can you then refer to Real Madrid as 'the enemy' or even Barcelona as 'we'? I mean you've already said you'd lose interest if they started playing route one or 'anti-football'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c29OpzjjXc0
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I've ever really changed my opinion of a player after they've left. I've certainly felt less affection for them and been dissappointed when they left, either in the club for letting them go (Alonso) or in the player (Torres). Owen is a funny case. I'm not sure i really missed him when he left and the season after muist have been a bitter pill for him to swallow. I think perhaps in recent years Mascherano's departure was the worst for me. Somehow despite all of his quotes to the contrary Torres' departure in hind-sight was not such a surprise but I thought Masch. was with us for a while longer.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Tevez - not because I particularly loved him that much but the whole poster/quotes and other such sh1te make me retch.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about the way a player moves to another club.

For me, the ones that stick out are Fernando Torres and Michael Owen.

I was only young when Owen left and he was my idol, local boy (originally from his neck of the woods) and I was so shocked when he left. Especially for such measly money. Even now I'm pleased to ever see him warming the bench. Little ****

As for Torres, well we all know the story there. I felt more betrayed when he left than when Owen did, merely because Owen buggered off abroad, Torres is there under our noses, blue headband and all (t**t) off glory hunting because he didn't want to work hard to get Liverpool back where we should be. I hate players who are all me me me me. Owen and Torres are perfect examples of this.

Sort of agree with Assa2 about Mascherano - but then he was never the sort of player to really pledge his loyalty and proclaim his love for the club (not to my recollection anyway). I felt betrayed by him for his unprofessional behaviour and the lack of respect for the club in his sulking etc, but despite missing his quality and presence in the team, I don't miss him as a person/influence at the club. I suppose getting rid of the sulks from Liverpool FC is a good thing and I'm starting to see things that way :)
  • Options
    AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if it's any comfort to you, Unigal, Mascherano isn't exactly setting the world alight at Barcelona!

Personally, although 'hate' is much too strong a word, I'll never forgive Darren Bent for leaving Sunderland in the lurch - or Kenwyne Jones and Kevin Phillips come to that! :(
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Le Petite Merde AKA Judas Johnston AKA Mo Johnston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aida wrote: »
    Well, if it's any comfort to you, Unigal, Mascherano isn't exactly setting the world alight at Barcelona!

Personally, although 'hate' is much too strong a word, I'll never forgive Darren Bent for leaving Sunderland in the lurch - or Kenwyne Jones and Kevin Phillips come to that! :(

I know, nor Torres at Chelsea and nor Owen at Man Utd (or Newcastle or Real Madrid). It does make things easier I suppose.

Darren Bent is a good shout. I work with a few Sunderland fans and I know how unhappy the fans were about that.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jermaine Defoe, Sol Campbell
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Carroll. I don't believe his "I didn't really want to go" act for one second.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Lampard, simply because of the way he has constantly slagged West Ham, off since he moved to chelsea.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    Frank Lampard, simply because of the way he has constantly slagged West Ham, off since he moved to chelsea.

You're right there Larry, continual crying although I respect him as a player.....

Not so much loved but recent Judas's include Defoe and Reo Coker.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »
    Not so much loved but recent Judas's include Defoe and Reo Coker.....

it was Defoe's attitude in his last few months at West Ham, that left a nasty taste in the mouth to demand a transfer the day after relegation was unforgivable. When it was refussed instead of just getting on with it he then acted like a spoilt petulant kid having an ongoing spat with David Connolly and getting sent off 3 times and clearly made no effort in games .
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    it was Defoe's attitude in his last few months at West Ham, that left a nasty taste in the mouth to demand a transfer the day after relegation was unforgivable. When it was refussed instead of just getting on with it he then acted like a spoilt petulant kid having an ongoing spat with David Connolly and getting sent off 3 times and clearly made no effort in games .
    In particular the one against WBA when we were 3-0 up and lost 4-3....I've never been so pissed off leaving a game as I did that day...
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    It's all about the way a player moves to another club.

For me, the ones that stick out are Fernando Torres and Michael Owen.

I was only young when Owen left and he was my idol, local boy (originally from his neck of the woods) and I was so shocked when he left. Especially for such measly money. Even now I'm pleased to ever see him warming the bench. Little ****

As for Torres, well we all know the story there. I felt more betrayed when he left than when Owen did, merely because Owen buggered off abroad, Torres is there under our noses, blue headband and all (t**t) off glory hunting because he didn't want to work hard to get Liverpool back where we should be. I hate players who are all me me me me. Owen and Torres are perfect examples of this.

Sort of agree with Assa2 about Mascherano - but then he was never the sort of player to really pledge his loyalty and proclaim his love for the club (not to my recollection anyway). I felt betrayed by him for his unprofessional behaviour and the lack of respect for the club in his sulking etc, but despite missing his quality and presence in the team, I don't miss him as a person/influence at the club. I suppose getting rid of the sulks from Liverpool FC is a good thing and I'm starting to see things that way :)

I agree about Owen. It was similar to Torres, in that it dragged on & on over that Summer of 04 whether Owen would sign a new contract, with Owen saying he'd sign a new contract, then chsnging his mind a few days before the start of the 04/05 season & signed for Real, saying he wanted to win trophys. Sweetest thing was when Real won nothing that season & Liverpool won the CL.:D
    Wonder if history will repeat itself & Liverpool win any trophy next season & Chelsea win nothing.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    Andy Carroll. I don't believe his "I didn't really want to go" act for one second.

I believe it, and I'm a Liverpool fan. Andy Carroll love(s? d?) Newcastle very much and I have little doubt that it was all Ashley's doing when he realised how much Liverpool were willing to pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetest thing was when Real won nothing that season & Liverpool won the CL.:D
    Wonder if history will repeat itself & Liverpool win any trophy next season & Chelsea win nothing.;)

THAT... would be pure poetry. Unlikely though :(