Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Cineworld in Glasgow had it showing in their biggest screen that has over 650 seats, which was full last night for it's 9pm'ish showing.

But this may have been due to the fact that there isn't much else new out right now. Either way it was full and I was surprised at the mixture of young and older folk in it.

I enjoyed it but I agree with Ads, it was slow moving.
    Popularity of this film, seems to be big....the last film, like this, which was a surprise to me...was The Kings Speech.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallelujah, could we be seeing a return to character and story-driven cinema after an absence of 15 odd years? :)
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Popularity of this film, seems to be big....the last film, like this, which was a surprise to me...was The Kings Speech.

The King's Speech is far more accessible though, whereas TTSP is the kind of film that many will hate or be very bored by. I think in many ways TTSP is a better film than The King's Speech, but it will be interesting to see what other DS posters put on here, once they have seen it.
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    who'd have thought that the King was a traitor??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised this movie is doing so well at the box office, I thought it would be the kind that would only attract the 30+ crowd.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it yesterday and it is really really good. I know alot of people on here are commenting on how slow it is and i'm not going to lie it is slow but it's interesting and so enjoyable that I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen. There was alot of stuff that I didn't understand as it went on but it all came together nicely in the end and didn't leave me confused.

The performances were all amazing in particular Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch and Mark Strong. Colin wasn't in it that much but he was amazing in every scene he was in.

Overall I would give it an 8/10
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night and I thought it was simply brilliant.

I'm not the kind of of person to keep going back to the cinema but I definitely look forward to it coming out on DVD so I can watch it again. I was able to follow the plot on the first viewing but I think it's a film that will reveal more detail and explain some of the nuances with repeat viewings.

The cinema was near to full but six different people got up and left at various points during the screening. If the film could be considered as an intelligence test they would have failed!
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this afternoon-not sure I understood it all but it had me gripped thoughout - as others have said had a real 70s feel to it - great performances - Tom Hardy was amazing.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Kermode described the look of the film very well. He said everything looked like it was smoke stained. I think that's a great description of the moody brown-ness of it.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised this movie is doing so well at the box office, I thought it would be the kind that would only attract the 30+ crowd.

There are more of us than there are of them ;)

The screening I was at was fairly full and had a pretty even mix of age ranges. Admittedly a big bunch of 16 year olds walked out after an hour when they realised there weren't going to be lots of explosions, gun battles or 3D CGI robots but apart from that everyone was gripped, as proven by the shouts of "Oi! I was enjoying that" when the projector briefly broke down towards the end.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    The cinema was near to full but six different people got up and left at various points during the screening. If the film could be considered as an intelligence test they would have failed!

I don't think it would mean they're not intelligent. I walked out of this film tonight and it doesn't mean I'm thick or that I didn't understand it.
    It was the first film in my life that I've walked out of. I studied film for years and put up with a lot of boring stuff but this was actually putting me to sleep.
    We decided to give up with about 40 minutes to go. I was really disappointed because I had such high hopes for it.
  • NickClapperNickClapper Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    mangomoon wrote: »
    I don't think it would mean they're not intelligent. I walked out of this film tonight and it doesn't mean I'm thick or that I didn't understand it.
    It was the first film in my life that I've walked out of. I studied film for years and put up with a lot of boring stuff but this was actually putting me to sleep.
    We decided to give up with about 40 minutes to go. I was really disappointed because I had such high hopes for it.

You studied film for years and found this boring?

Christ, I've seen hundreds of films which are slower and duller than TTSS.

If it had moved at a pace it would've done a disservice to the source material. Plus Alfredson's previous work is all about the hidden spaces- no one would say Let the Right One In was a thrill a minute and yet it's the best vampire film in years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You studied film for years and found this boring?

Christ, I've seen hundreds of films which are slower and duller than TTSS.

If it had moved at a pace it would've done a disservice to the source material. Plus Alfredson's previous work is all about the hidden spaces- no one would say Let the Right One In was a thrill a minute and yet it's the best vampire film in years.

I definately think the trailer didn't do te film justice. But I really am not sure why :D the trailer doesn't shot it as a fast paced thriller or anything but I expected something a bit well... faster paced. However thats probably because I hadn't read the book or seen the TV series before I watched it so wasn't expecting it to be THAT slow.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV version was like watching the test card except less riveting, so what convinced a film company that an adaptation of a wordy, dense, static, complex thriller would pack 'em in at the Multiplex's is anyone's guess.............unless it was a pitch for Oldman to get an Oscar.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    The TV version was like watching the test card except less riveting, so what convinced a film company that an adaptation of a wordy, dense, static, complex thriller would pack 'em in at the Multiplex's is anyone's guess.............unless it was a pitch for Oldman to get an Oscar.

Looks like 'anyone's guess' was a good guess!

http://whatculture.com/film/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-earns-2-8-million-opening-uk-weekend.php

Have to say am surprised its done so well, can't think of another occasion when such an inaccessable film has done so well in the UK box office. Be fascinating to see how it does overseas.
  • Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Saw it on Saturday. It was a well put together piece and the acting was brilliant on all sides. Tom Hardy stole the show, yet again. The man really is one to watch. There was a great moment at the end where Mark Strong and Colin Firth were looking at each other that stood out as quite a poignant part of the film. Loved Kathy Burke as well in her role. Overall it was good, but it wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be.

7/10
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not yet seen the film although I have no doubt it is very good

I have seen the tv series a few times in which the traitor was called
    Gerald
    :o

I find it difficult to see how 6 hours of tv could be crammed into 2 hours film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I find it difficult to see how 6 hours of tv could be crammed into 2 hours film

Logic says it can't, and surprise surprise it can't.

Judge the film on it's own merits not as a comparison to something else.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus Alfredson's previous work is all about the hidden spaces- no one would say Let the Right One In was a thrill a minute and yet it's the best vampire film in years.

Watched Let The Right One In yesterday so I could compare it with Tinker Tailor, which I saw today. Alfredson is so good at evoking a cold, friendless world and his London is nothing like the shiny tourist trap of so many films. I particularly liked the attention to detail which put 1970s graffiti on the street with the safe house.

My only reservation was that Tom Hardy was no match for Hywell Bennett's Ricki Tarr. Otherwise the cast were excellent, and the adaptation was very smartly done. And the cinema was three-quarters full at 3pm on a Monday!
  • bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this film today and was very impressed with it. One of the best spy stories I've seen in a long while.

It does start to wain very slightly at one point but almost straight after it kicks up into top gear and cements itself as a great story. The direction is superb and Alfredson does an amazing job in recreating '70s Europe.

With the way in which the story unfolds, any of the suspects could be the mole but once everything is done and dusted, you realise that it could only be who it is and that's what sets it apart from stuff on TV that follow similar storytelling tropes. I've always put off reading the novel but I'm sure I'll be picking it up in the near future.

All the acting is amazing and somehow Gary Oldman manages to pull off a performance unlike anything I've seen him do before, he is quality in this film.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Looks like 'anyone's guess' was a good guess!

http://whatculture.com/film/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-earns-2-8-million-opening-uk-weekend.php

Have to say am surprised its done so well, can't think of another occasion when such an inaccessable film has done so well in the UK box office. Be fascinating to see how it does overseas.
    Not surprised after I saw it on Friday, late afternoon...on one of the bigger screens....and was nearly packed.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Hardy was brilliant in it, possibly the best one in the film. It will be interesting to see how Hardy and Oldman are in there scenes together when they are in "The Dark Knight Rises" they will be SO different :D.

I was slightly underwhemled by it though, thought it would be better than it was. 7/10.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people on here say the film is slow - do you mean 'slow' as in how these types of films usually are? I don't think I have ever seen a spy/cold war film that isn't slow :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I was a bit disappointed.:cry:

I had hoped that the film might have cut out some of the slower paced scenes from the TV version and been a sharper, leaner version. Well not quite.

Characters are underdeveloped, except maybe the odd one, Gary Oldman's Smiley seems to have little or no personality, John Hurt is a bit OTT. Strong and Hardy were both very good.

Overall a well presented film that seems just as slow as the TV series but without the character depth.

I now appreciate and admire the TV series more, particularly Alec Guinness who gave Smiley at least some personality.

Go see it, but it's not this year's 'King's Speech'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robston wrote: »
    Go see it, but it's not this year's 'King's Speech'.

This years Kings Speech was.....er.......

The Kings Speech (released 7th Jan 2011)
    Just sayin' like :D