Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 9)

Comments

• myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe no-one has mentioned that stupid ad with Jennifer Aniston for Sky "it's doddle" Broadband. Never got the 'joke' or 'pun' of her going stupidly ballistic over her IT not working :rolleyes: and there appears no reason why she's in it; she's not really a person that pulls in the customers, you only need to look at the films she's been in to get that point. Sky might as well just got any unknown actress to play the part. Plus from people I know who has their service, I don't think it's such 'doddle' as they try to make it sound.
    tco200 wrote: »
    I can't believe Andrex latest campaign is asking people how they wipe their ass, I mean come on!
    I thought I had got the wrong idea the first time I saw that advert.
    TracerTong wrote: »
    Send Andrex the actual 'result'. I bet the ads get pulled :D
    :D:D
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Adverts with kids on them lecturing adults have really started to grind my gears recently. They had never bothered me that much before, but there just seems so many of them now, and the more you see them, the more obnoxious and annoying the kids seem to get. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think they tie in with our modern day culture of giving the little shits free reign to do whatever they want, which is why they all grow up to be self absorbed, lazy, violent, arseholes. Sorry if that makes me a bad person (probably).

I'm firmly with you on this one.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    I have said it before but I hate trivago it seems to be non stop that advert , that woman's voice is just so irritating.

yeah. Most holiday ads seem cringey - the nerdy dad getting high fived, Voyage prive with its 80's keyboard theme tune, and I really, reeeeeaallly cannot stand the whispering Secret Escapes woman, have to grab the remote when she comes on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miaow wrote: »
    I really, reeeeeaallly cannot stand the whispering Secret Escapes woman, have to grab the remote when she comes on.

She's about the only advert I DON'T avoid. She can whisper in my ear all she likes.

My top tip if you have a Sky box now if you're watching something 'live'. As soon as the ad break starts, press pause. Then occasionally check the live pause counter bottom left of screen until it says 4 mins. Then press the stop button on the Sky remote. Ad break avoided. You might catch the end of the ad for a tv prog but usually no proper ads.

I am getting myself into that habit now. There's just way too many ads that get my blood boiling these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I hardly ever buy fairy liquid.

I hate that ad, esp since our Fairy Liquid runs out pretty fast.
  • McCollMcColl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I'm firmly with you on this one.

I'll second that ..spot on Ænima! ...too many precocious rude brats around without more being taught the rudiments by adverts! (probably a second or even third generation of them now too)
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    McColl wrote: »
    I'll second that ..spot on Ænima! ...too many precocious rude brats around without more being taught the rudiments by adverts! (probably a second or even third generation of them now too)

It's something I find annoying too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is wrong with the woman on the baby-bel/comic relief advert? Permanently in a state of fake hysterics! She needs a straight jacket, not cheese.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    She's about the only advert I DON'T avoid. She can whisper in my ear all she likes.

Me too, especially when she's on the sun bed, looks like she's got a top on but no pants.:o:)
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chapelhouse, Chapelhouse, Chap, Chap, Chapelhouse. A car dealership advert in the Granada region, maybe in others too. Damn annoying !
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    eviled2010 wrote: »
    Robert Lindsay and that woman advertising Sky TV.
    It's just so cringeworthy the way Lindsay tries to pretend he is having an off the cuff conversation with his cheesy smiles and nodding donkey head.
    It really shows his limitations as an actor and I am surprised he thought it was good enough to be shown to millions on the TV. Strange what money will tempt people who you thought had more integrity and self respect to do.
    Ger'im Off!

Just seen this ad :mad::mad::mad: It's blooming dreadful!
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this has been mentioned already, and it's not really an advert as such, but the one about mental health that starts off "when my son/daughter/girlfriend had a mental health problem, I didn't know what to say" and urges people to "have a conversation" about mental health.

As someone who suffers with mental health problems, I can categorically state that the last thing I want to do is have a conversation about it, especially with someone who's never suffered from it and knows naff all about it.

Having been on the receiving end of some really offensive but well-meaning remarks in the past ("you should just enjoy life", "you never go out anywhere", etc etc), I'd rather people didn't "have a conversation", thanks all the same!
  • EMLEML Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I find the current Marie Curie Daffodil Appeal advert unbearable to watch. I know they do an absolutely wonderful job, I support the charity and I really hope the appeal brings in loads of money, but it is heartbreaking.
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EML wrote: »
    I find the current Marie Curie Daffodil Appeal advert unbearable to watch. I know they do an absolutely wonderful job, I support the charity and I really hope the appeal brings in loads of money, but it is heartbreaking.

Oh gosh I know! I proper cried when I first saw that yesterday. Was awful. I know it's true, and that yes, they do an amazing job but I can't watch it. My grandad has just been told he has cancer. Too soon for me. But obviously the world doesn't stop for my family things... but hopefully you get my point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    How lovely is that Cheesy Joke ad with Alesha Dixon? Oh lord her laughter is so annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Me too, especially when she's on the sun bed, looks like she's got a top on but no pants.:o:)

Really? Never noticed ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been mentioned already, and it's not really an advert as such, but the one about mental health that starts off "when my son/daughter/girlfriend had a mental health problem, I didn't know what to say" and urges people to "have a conversation" about mental health.

That ad may do more to stigmatise / feed the issue than it actually does to help, having said hopefully it helps some people to talk to someone about their issues. Like many of these well meaning adverts though it does have perhaps unnecessarily dark overtones. Certainly if it is making depressed people more unhappy by its very presence, it is not doing its intended job.

People with mental illness / depression would do well to fast forward through as many ad breaks as possible in my opinion. They contain artificial, unrealistic, aspirational stereotypes not to mention 99% of adverts seem to have the express purpose of winding people up or making them angry. For that reason, is a commercial break the best place for an appeal like this? Maybe / maybe not.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That ad may do more to stigmatise / feed the issue than it actually does to help, having said hopefully it helps some people to talk to someone about their issues. Like many of these well meaning adverts though it does have perhaps unnecessarily dark overtones. Certainly if it is making depressed people more unhappy by its very presence, it is not doing its intended job.

People with mental illness / depression would do well to fast forward through as many ad breaks as possible in my opinion. They contain artificial, unrealistic, aspirational stereotypes not to mention 99% of adverts seem to have the express purpose of winding people up or making them angry. For that reason, is a commercial break the best place for an appeal like this? Maybe / maybe not.

I would hope depressed people would be making getting help a priority if they were feeling ads were pushing them over the edge. I don't mean that in a nasty, sarcastic way but if you're at that point where you're letting adverts with no other intention but to sell you a product affect you, or even well-meaning (IMO) adverts such as the "Let's have a conversation" one, then maybe you should be asking why.

Regarding the "Let's have a conversation" advert, I can see Lily_M's point about potentially giving the "less informed" (to put it politely) another chance to ruffle a few feathers but I view the advert and campaign as a platform to counteract the opinions held by those people, in an accessible way (i.e. through social media). As the website itself says,
    "Talking about mental health can strengthen friendships, aid recovery, break down stereotypes and take the taboo out of something that affects us all.
    http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/talk-about-mental-health

The website also acknowledges the remarks that friends/family may make to those with mental health problems: Avoid clichés: Phrases like ‘Cheer up’, ‘I’m sure it’ll pass’ and ‘Pull yourself together’ definitely won’t help the conversation! Being open minded, non-judgemental and listening will.
    http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/talk-about-mental-health/tips

I am doubtful about whether it will make any lasting positive impact but I only see it as a positive thing that they are trying.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Lily_M wrote: »

As someone who suffers with mental health problems, I can categorically state that the last thing I want to do is have a conversation about it, especially with someone who's never suffered from it and knows naff all about it.

Having been on the receiving end of some really offensive but well-meaning remarks in the past ("you should just enjoy life", "you never go out anywhere", etc etc), I'd rather people didn't "have a conversation", thanks all the same!

Totally agree with you.
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with the woman on the baby-bel/comic relief advert? Permanently in a state of fake hysterics! She needs a straight jacket, not cheese.

I think the women is Alesha Dixon

hate that ad too
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing computer pony !
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB: I think that's a very valid point. I don't actually watch all that much TV so luckily don't see most of the ads that are shown - but I've seen the mental health one a gazillion times (it must be on during Time Team, NCIS or Person of Interest - about the only shows I watch!)
    I would hope depressed people would be making getting help a priority if they were feeling ads were pushing them over the edge. I don't mean that in a nasty, sarcastic way but if you're at that point where you're letting adverts with no other intention but to sell you a product affect you, or even well-meaning (IMO) adverts such as the "Let's have a conversation" one, then maybe you should be asking why.

Regarding the "Let's have a conversation" advert, I can see Lily_M's point about potentially giving the "less informed" (to put it politely) another chance to ruffle a few feathers but I view the advert and campaign as a platform to counteract the opinions held by those people, in an accessible way (i.e. through social media). As the website itself says,
    "Talking about mental health can strengthen friendships, aid recovery, break down stereotypes and take the taboo out of something that affects us all.
    http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/talk-about-mental-health

The website also acknowledges the remarks that friends/family may make to those with mental health problems: Avoid clichés: Phrases like ‘Cheer up’, ‘I’m sure it’ll pass’ and ‘Pull yourself together’ definitely won’t help the conversation! Being open minded, non-judgemental and listening will.
    http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/talk-about-mental-health/tips

I am doubtful about whether it will make any lasting positive impact but I only see it as a positive thing that they are trying.

I can see your point too, and it would be great if everyone who saw the advert then went onto the website to do their research before tackling the subject with the sufferer, but how many are going to do that?

If someone is ignorant about mental illness, as many people are, then I'd rather they just left well alone rather than trying to help. Also, mental illness makes some people very uncomfortable and they feel they need to "fix" the sufferer - not just because they want to "help" the sufferer but because it would make them feel better not to have to think about or deal with a person with mental health problems.

The person who told me "you should enjoy life" is a neighbour of mine who had heard on the grapevine that I was going through a very bad patch. I didn't ask for her help, in fact I've never asked for her help in managing my life or my illness - but she knocked on my door uninvited and proceeded to lecture me on how to cure my illness. Would she have done that with someone who had cancer? I don't think so.

So yes, I can see the point you are making, but I think the ad comes across as patronizing and not informative enough. I would have been less annoyed if they'd included the information that mental illness is, more often than not, caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and is not something that sufferers can just get over at will. Also, it should have included some advice about what not to say to sufferers.
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Totally agree with you.

I'm glad it's not just me. I know I can be a tad over-sensitive at times.
  • EMLEML Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Kazz_x wrote: »
    Oh gosh I know! I proper cried when I first saw that yesterday. Was awful. I know it's true, and that yes, they do an amazing job but I can't watch it. My grandad has just been told he has cancer. Too soon for me. But obviously the world doesn't stop for my family things... but hopefully you get my point.

I've seen it a couple of times now and my heart aches. I am sorry to hear about your grandad – I get your point, it is all a bit close to home. The advert is very well done and certainly gets the message across, but it is so, so sad.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    There's this really cheap ad I think its for some kind of childrens food or cracker with free stickers with some cheap CGI jungle animals and the music goes "stick it here, stick it there"
    Stick it up your hole
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The Talk Talk one that offers their broadband for "a tiny £15.50 a month, plus £14.95 line rental". In total, that's over £360 a year. Given the economic situation, even excluding line rental that all providers charge, I don't see that £15.50 a month can be called "tiny".
This discussion has been closed.