Options

4 personality types - dopamine serotonin testosterone oestrogen

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hadn't come across this before but I thought it at least interesting. Essentially it asks what is the predominant brain chemical that someone has and how does that affect personality.

Dopamine (explorers) - these are people who like novelty and new experiences. Sensation seeking and risk takers. Think Richard Branson.

Serotonin (builders) - these are traditionalists who like order and stability and really value loyalty. Tend to conform to social norms.

Testosterone (Directors) - logical, analytical, direct, competitive and rank oriented, emotionally contained.

Oestrogen - big picture thinkers, diplomatic, empathetic, non-violent, philosophical, seek meaning and harmony.

Now the really interesting and controversial thing is which type you are supposed to be attracted to. Apparently dopamine goes for dopamine and serotonin for serotonin(like goes with like). However testosterone goes for oestrogen and vice versa (so in those cases it's opposites attract). Doesn't assume people will get married of course but at least have chemistry together. I'm not sure though. As an oestrogen man I can't imagine myself going for a testosterone woman. I'd go for someone like me.

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arent we all a big mixture of all of those?

Like, I am a traditionalist who doesnt like to conform. I like to think things through analytically but am an emotional person with huge empathy that colours my decisions. I also like doing things I havent done before.

Probably explains why my emotions are all over the place.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »

Like, I am a traditionalist who doesnt like to conform. I like to think things through analytically but am an emotional person with huge empathy that colours my decisions. I also like doing things I havent done before.

I suppose we have a bit of each but presumably most people could fit more easily into one category rather than another.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I'm testosterone I think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose we have a bit of each but presumably most people could fit more easily into one category rather than another.

Not me. I am a never ending conundrum, or anomaly, or whatever.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    This strikes me as quackery, utter bollocks, substituting 'dopamine serotonin testosterone oestrogen' for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humorism and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments

I've recently learned how much dopamine affects my brain and body, it's interesting but I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree we are a mix, I can't see myself fitting into any of those categories. For example, I am competitive, empathetic, non-diplomatic, get bored of routine easily ....
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm testosterone I think

Hardly when you don't want sex Ebony, although it doesn't mention that aspect.:)

We are all a mixture of the whole lot and it's not anything appropriate on which to base personality type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Hardly when you don't want sex Ebony, although it doesn't mention that aspect.:)

We are all a mixture of the whole lot and it's not anything appropriate on which to base personality type.

I'm not really Dopamine or Oestrogen at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well going purely on your posting history, all over the internet, not just this site, you have very poor logic skills, are not analytical and are not emotionally contained. You suffer with insecurity, anxiety and are unecessarily jealous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well going purely on your posting history, all over the internet, not just this site, you have very poor logic skills, are not analytical and are not emotionally contained. You suffer with insecurity, anxiety and are unecessarily jealous.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Or maybe I'm none of them*shrug*
  • Options
    highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if you don't have any testosterone? My balls don't work
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably Oestrogen (woman) and unfortunately tend to go for Testosterone men, I think that is probably more usual than the other way round SirMickTravis.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a nonsense, I really can't consider it relevant. :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like pseudo-scientific BS to me.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if you don't have any testosterone? My balls don't work
    turn them in to Ian Duncan Smith then. He'll get them to work. I will bet his reputation on it.
    :kitty:
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm Toblerone.

That's one of the four, right?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I think I'm Toblerone.

Toblerone: you can always see three sides to a problem. You always think outside the box, but when you've finished put the little foil wrapper back in it.
    ^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm dopamine with a little testosterone.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    This strikes me as quackery, utter bollocks, substituting 'dopamine serotonin testosterone oestrogen' for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humorism and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments

I've recently learned how much dopamine affects my brain and body, it's interesting but I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone.

I once went on a course and was "diagnosed" as a sanguine. Always wondered what it meant. It was years back and I have forgotten it.
  • Options
    EadfrithEadfrith Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I'm special
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I think I'm Toblerone.

Might as well be. Its nutty enough.
    Toblerone: you can always see three sides to a problem. You always think outside the box, but when you've finished put the little foil wrapper back in it.
    ^_^

:D:D:D

This taxonomy is barking. It reminds me of the tests that one used to get in teen magazines like Jackie. They make a list of four related items, in this case hormones and then conjure up a set of random characteristics supposedly attributed to them and invite you take a test to find out which drink you are or which pop star is your love match or some such.

Why these four hormones I wonder. Why not oxytocin or thyroxin, insulin, histamin or melatonin? And isn't serotonin or the lack thereof thought to be one of the causes of depression. Isn't that what anti depressants try to balance? is the intention to make a link between traditionalism and depression?
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I once went on a course and was "diagnosed" as a sanguine. Always wondered what it meant. It was years back and I have forgotten it.

That harks back to the time when medicine was conducted according to the faulty theory that we are comprised of four humours. Phlegm, Black bile, blood and .. I forget the last.

Sanguine was supposedly someone in whom blood is the dominate humour. IIRC it is quite a positive one meaning you are happy go lucky, cheerful, at ease etc.
    It is of course nonsense. I hope you didn't pay a lot for that course!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes indeed, a funny parody of Galen's The Four Humours. Taking the uric acid out of neuroscience ....... "my brain lights up" well thats not very energy saving .......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice to know people still read Galen ........ or,did they just watch bbc4 ?
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a mix of dopamine and oestrogen, my husband is a mixture of the other two.