Options

Young people who like 'oldie' songs

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the MonaLisa Twins youtube channel - excellent 60s covers and their own originals in that beat group style -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qefoXFsUZNE

They're young people who definitely like oldie music.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I'm quite shy of admitting my fondness for early pop records to people of my own generation.

No need to be. Adults can choose to like music from across time. I love stuff from before I was born, through the decades, and up to the present day. I even love some stuff that hasn't actually been released yet! I also have a teenage girl relative who really loves classic rock from the 70's, because she finds the likes of One Direction without substance or meaning.

It all boils down to one thing; good music remains good no matter when it was made or by whom. Only idiots allow others to decide what music they are allowed to enjoy. So spread those musical wings, and take flight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm quite proud that I've introduced him to The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Cream, BB King and Jimi Hendrix. I've also got a neighbour whose teenage daughter is a huge fan of Matt Monroe.

Yeah, that's how I felt when I was able to introduce my niece to Quadrophenia, and then make up a CD of classic rock to help her explore the genre.

As for Matt Monroe, he was probably the finest ever crooner. Anyone who dismisses 'On Days Like These' is not really listening.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents have always listened to a wide range of music. Quite a bit of Motown (Stop In The Name of Love was my absolute favourite when I was a toddler) and also early rock n roll, like Buddy Holly, was always on when I was younger. My mum adores Elvis, and whilst I like some his stuff, I've never been a huge fan. I quite like Johnny Cash, but that came from watching Walk The Line, not from my parents listening to him.

And then there's more recent oldies, like Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton etc. Saw Bruce at Wembley a couple of years ago. He played non stop for three hours. Stupendous.

I also really loved The Bee Gees.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good music is good music no matter when it was from. I'm 34, some of the bands I love are The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Who, The Velvet Underground, The Clash, The Jam etc etc.

I'd never be ashamed of liking old music, I love plenty of new stuff too and go to quite a few gigs, I've got quite a few coming up including Frank Turner, The Cribs, Spector, Hooton Tennis Club, Father John Misty plus a few more and I'm eagerly awaiting a tour announcement from The Libertines. Music is great, just enjoy it!
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I was born in the mid 80s and have always listened to music released before my lifetime. I think it's quite common really, especially if someone grows up with parents who have good music taste!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's how I felt when I was able to introduce my niece to Quadrophenia, and then make up a CD of classic rock to help her explore the genre.

As for Matt Monroe, he was probably the finest ever crooner. Anyone who dismisses 'On Days Like These' is not really listening.

“If I had to choose three of the finest male vocalists in the singing business, Matt would be one of them. His pitch was right on the nose; his word enunciations letter perfect; his understanding of a song thorough.” How Frank Sinatra described Matt Monroe. He really did have a perfect voice.

I've also been educating my niece about the wild side of music. She thought Justin Beiber was the ultimate music bad boy.
    "Two words, young lady: Keith Moon." :D
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 26 and grew up listening to The Beatles in the car and at home with my parents (who were both born in 1957, so were into The Beatles back in the days). I still love The Beatles now, a good few of my favourite songs are from The Beatles - Please, Please Me, Twist & Shout, Chains, There's A Place, Please Mr Postman etc. Mainly their early music.

Tiger Feet (Mud) is another of my favourite songs - again a song that my parents grew up with, my mum used to listen to it when she was at university before she went out. Brian and the Tremeloes, Beach Boys, Manfred Mann, all the 'big' songs from 70s/80s I guess.

I'm not tied down to any particular era though. My early teenage years were around the years of Pop Idol and boybands, so I was a Will Young, Gareth Gates girl, and I have loved Westlife since I was around 12. And then my brother's into heavy rock, so I've come to like some of the stuff by Guns'n'Roses, AC/DC etc.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the age of your parents, Smithy1204. We didn't really have the immense back catalogue to explore like the subsequent generations. There were only the crooners and MOR singers, bands like Glenn Miller, and rock'n'roll. My dad didn't really listen to music, and my mum liked Gilbert and Sullivan. So there was no parental treasure chest to plunder!

In my day it was desperately uncool to like anything your parents liked, and I've been guilty of dismissing some wonderful stuff. It's a delight to me to see how comparatively open and appreciative younger people are to the music I've grown up with. I consider myself lucky to have lived through some golden ages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've also been educating my niece about the wild side of music. She thought Justin Beiber was the ultimate music bad boy. "Two words, young lady: Keith Moon." :D

Excellent. :D If you want an xmas gift for her, Moon's biography is hilarious, but also a great warning that too much of everything will eventually kill you.

If you haven't already, how about showing her Alice Cooper? A brilliant example of how to separate a stage act from the real person; in other words, never believe that all you see is for real.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I'm 26 and grew up listening to ...

You're a fine example of what I was saying earlier. Doesn't matter when music was made or by whom, the only criteria should be is it good. By taking music from here there and everywhere, your horizons are expanded way beyond the poor fashion victims who can only like what is current.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Excellent. :D If you want an xmas gift for her, Moon's biography is hilarious, but also a great warning that too much of everything will eventually kill you.

If you haven't already, how about showing her Alice Cooper? A brilliant example of how to separate a stage act from the real person; in other words, never believe that all you see is for real.

I've read Moon's biography, hilarious and sad too. My niece loves this clip of Mr Moon being a little overenthusiastic with his use of explosives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkGimCrcRg

Good idea about Alice Cooper, he's a keen golfer and she's always telling her dad that only boring people play golf :)
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 28 and 60s and 70s soul/R&B is my kind of sound. I can listen to just about anything by Minnie Riperton. Her vocals were golden.
  • Options
    lybertynelybertyne Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good music is timeless.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lybertyne wrote: »
    Good music is timeless.

You might have to agree on what good music is first?
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You might have to agree on what good music is first?

I think we can all agree that "the music I like is great, the music everyone else likes is garbage".
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that "the music I like is great, the music everyone else likes is garbage".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLwq-J5L_Y
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    My parents have always listened to a wide range of music. Quite a bit of Motown (Stop In The Name of Love was my absolute favourite when I was a toddler) and also early rock n roll, like Buddy Holly, was always on when I was younger. My mum adores Elvis, and whilst I like some his stuff, I've never been a huge fan. I quite like Johnny Cash, but that came from watching Walk The Line, not from my parents listening to him.

And then there's more recent oldies, like Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton etc. Saw Bruce at Wembley a couple of years ago. He played non stop for three hours. Stupendous.

I also really loved The Bee Gees.

I like Johnny Cash too. :) I only took an interest once I'd seen "Wall The Line" (I can't believe that the film came out 10 years ago! Still love it.)

My parents have had a jukebox for as long as I can remember. I grew up with 70s music playing a lot. I like some stuff from the 60s and 80s too.

Honestly, as I've got older I've just decided that if I like it then that's all that matters. :)