Options

Extra X Percentage Of Tax For Free Public Transport?

The_AwakendThe_Awakend Posts: 773
Forum Member
✭✭
The argument is that we all pay an extra fixed percentage (say 10%) of tax on earnings for completely free publicly owned public transport?

The average person who commutes to work probably pays more than that. With re-investment and more services more people would be inclined to leave their cars at home, meaning less congestion and a better quality of travel.

Arguments for and against?

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arguments for and against?

I'd rather keep that extra 10% of tax in my own pocket and drive to work in my nice comfortable car and not share my commuting space with the great unwashed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather keep that extra 10% of tax in my own pocket and drive to work in my nice comfortable car and not share my commuting space with the great unwashed.

Then you surely can afford the extra 10% for a service you don't use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No thanks, I'll keep the money.

My tax bill is already huge. I contribute plenty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that in the major cities, it can be quite inpractical to drive to work
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    The problem is that in the major cities, it can be quite inpractical to drive to work
    Not exactly practical to use buses even in off peak hours.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Public transport doesn't pass my work, I'm not too keen on giving away even more of my money to city dwellers who already have better infrastructure and transport links.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public transport is useless for my commute. Also, for quite a number of years, I used to work somewhere that I could walk to, so in both those cases I would resent very much paying so much for a service I wouldn't be using.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm afraid that's their lookout and not everyone else's. If you live/work in major cities, you accept you need to use and pay for public transport. I see no reason anyone should expect it for free.

And it's a bullshit La-la-land territory to suggest that if a load of money was pumped into it, we'd end up with a brilliant public transport system that worked well for everyone across the country.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Major cities, you mean London?
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used to get the train to work when I lived nearer the station but now I would have to walk for 30 minutes or get the bus to the station and then on the way home would have to wait 25 minutes for the train home because I always missed the train by 2 or 3 minutes. Instead I drive and am at work in 20/30 minutes and home in the same time as well. So 30 minutes or 90 minutes, it's a hard one but I think I would rather keep my 10% tax thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if the extra tax afforded you less busy roads to drive your nice comfortable car on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Even if the extra tax afforded you less busy roads to drive your nice comfortable car on?

In a heartbeat. Less busy roads to drive my nice comfortable car on is nowhere near worth an extra 10% in tax per year thanks.
  • Options
    poshblokeposhbloke Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd need a massive expansion in public transport to make this workable. I use the train to get to work when I know I'm in the office all day but the nearest station is a good 15-20 minutes drive away (they closed the railway where I live in the sixties) and buses are unreliable and infrequent so I still need a car on these days. My other half has no possible public transport route into work whatsoever.

Huge investment needed which would probably cost more than the 10% figure mooted in the OP. Nice idea in a perfect world though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a heartbeat. Less busy roads to drive my nice comfortable car on is nowhere near worth an extra 10% in tax per year thanks.

Maybe not 10% though - I think 10% across the board would be massively too much. Probably closer to 1% to 2% would be more realistically, though I haven't crunched the numbers to check this.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you aware that raising most peoples tax by 10% would see them struggle and some it would possibly mean they could not afford enough food for kids or to pay the mortgage.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to catch the bus to work, because I didn't have access to a car. £20 a week, and 1 hour commute to work and 1.5 hour commute home for the 10 miles I was travelling.

Now I have access to a car for work. Less than £10 in petrol a week, 20 minute commute to work, 30 minute commute home.

It's no competition between the 2. Even if public transport was cheaper I would still use my car as I value my time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Maybe not 10% though - I think 10% across the board would be massively too much. Probably closer to 1% to 2% would be more realistically, though I haven't crunched the numbers to check this.

Well when you have crunched the numbers, come back and ask me again if you so desire.

As a principle though, I don't agree with it and don't believe we would ever get to a situation where public transport is a realistic alternative for everyone.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    "You can all give more, so we can all take more"
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    As we have no worthwhile public transport where I live, will I get a refund?
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    As we have no worthwhile public transport where I live, will I get a refund?

Don't bet on it. My parents have been paying for rubbish collection through their council tax for the past 30 years and have never received it.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The argument is that we all pay an extra fixed percentage (say 10%) of tax on earnings for completely free publicly owned public transport?
    No. It takes away my freedom to choose how I travel. Instead of doing things for me with my money I'd prefer to be given the money so that I use as I see fit. There's a similar argument here :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/02/gig_economy/

You need to read past/through the first half of the first page to get to the bit that's relevant to this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when you have crunched the numbers, come back and ask me again if you so desire.

As a principle though, I don't agree with it and don't believe we would ever get to a situation where public transport is a realistic alternative for everyone.

Nah, I'm not bothered enough about this to do the leg work.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    I used to catch the bus to work, because I didn't have access to a car. £20 a week, and 1 hour commute to work and 1.5 hour commute home for the 10 miles I was travelling.

Now I have access to a car for work. Less than £10 in petrol a week, 20 minute commute to work, 30 minute commute home.

It's no competition between the 2. Even if public transport was cheaper I would still use my car as I value my time
    Similar deal here. 20 minutes by car or 45 minutes by meandering bus with a bus running every 30 minutes. The nearest bus stop at home is five minutes walk away which is easy. But it'd be a 20 minute walk from work (and that's for me, a fast walker). I also don't think many people would want to walk two miles just to catch a bus.

The best you could reasonably do would be:
    * A half mile walk from our offices to the nearest housing estate. (10 minutes for most people)
    * Catch a bus from there to the town centre bus station. (15 minutes)
    * Catch a bus to my town (20 minutes assuming it was financially viable to ignore the villages and run a direct bus service).

Compare to my current commute: 20 minutes door to door even on a bad day. Most days it's 15 minutes.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a rather worrying train of thought in this country from some that the government should provide everything free.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    There is a rather worrying train of thought in this country from some that the government should provide everything free.

But i'm entitled