Options

Cradle to the grave - Peter Kay's new comedy

Comments

• Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Baker owes me £30 :( I won a radio comp he did in about 1990 where he promised the money personally, but it never arrived.

I'll still be watching though :D
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    JBO wrote: »
    Hardly relevant as he's playing a South Londoner.

I think the word pedantic springs to mind!!! ;-)

And how's this for totally messing it up... it's not even filmed in around the streets of south or east of london or wherever danny baker grew up but up in Manchester:o
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now I read we have a similar programme about the childhood of lenny henry. Not even a first rate comedian, and a ropey actor. Famous only for being married to a big name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    And now I read we have a similar programme about the childhood of lenny henry. Not even a first rate comedian, and a ropey actor. Famous only for being married to a big name.

aah I'd like to watch this....don't see him any lower to Dawn but that's just my opinion....seperate thread needed for this....thanks for the info

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/tv-news/news/lenny-henry-on-danny-and-human-zoo-it-was-time-i-wrote-about-my-chaotic-jamaican-family
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Ginger1 wrote: »

And how's this for totally messing it up... it's not even filmed in around the streets of south or east of london or wherever danny baker grew up but up in Manchester:o

Location picked because it looks like bits of 60's/70's London, Danny's mentioned it on his Radio show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Location picked because it looks like bits of 60's/70's London, Danny's mentioned it on his Radio show.

And close to home so peter can get home to his family once filming has finished, cushty.
    * came all over del boy then ;-) *
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aah I'd like to watch this....don't see him any lower to Dawn but that's just my opinion....seperate thread needed for this....thanks for the info

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/tv-news/news/lenny-henry-on-danny-and-human-zoo-it-was-time-i-wrote-about-my-chaotic-jamaican-family

I didn't mean that dawn french was any better than lenny henry, just that she's bigger. If anything, her range is less than LH's; she only seems to have one facet - "I'm a woman, and I'm fat".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Danny Baker owes me £30 :( I won a radio comp he did in about 1990 where he promised the money personally, but it never arrived.

I'll still be watching though :D

Always best not to hold a grudge. Only hope you have managed to moved on from this.;-) :cool:
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are entitled to your opinion of Lenny Henry but that BIB is nonsense. Lenny Henry was famous long before he married Dawn French and they were both big names at the time. No BBC3 to not see him on back then as an excuse either.

Back on topic, it's hard to imagine Peter Kay being convincing as Danny Baker's dad. If the accent is wrong it just won't work.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not surprising as the area Danny grew up in has been totally redeveloped.

It may seem pedantic but the distinctions between South and East London are very important if you live in London. Even if they are only divided by the river.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. I like Danny Baker's take on things (his 'Brush Up On..' is still available on iPlayer) and as I was a small child of the 1970s I'll be tuning in hoping to catch a kid with a packet of Spangles or a Dalek Death Ray lolly in their hand.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion of Lenny Henry but that BIB is nonsense. Lenny Henry was famous long before he married Dawn French and they were both big names at the time. ..................

Not really. I've hidden these quotes for those who aren't interested.
    In 1980, Henry performed in Summer Season in Blackpool with Cannon and Ball.[7][8] He has since said that "the summer season was the first time [he] felt that [his] act had received a proper response from an audience".
    He co-hosted the children's programme Tiswas from 1978 until 1981, and subsequently performed and wrote for the show Three of a Kind,
    Also in 1980, he teamed up with The Comic Strip where he met his wife, comedienne Dawn French.[9] She encouraged him to move over to the fledgling alternative comedy scene, where he established a career as a stand-up comedy performer and character comedian.
    The first series of The Lenny Henry Show appeared on the BBC in 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Henry
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    LOL. I take it you mean south of the Thames. Well, it wiggles around a bit in that area, and Deptford looks pretty much due east of the City of London for me. If you go by the Thames, then there are parts of South London which are north of places in North London.

I didn't mean anything of the kind tbh. All Londoners sound the same to me. But DB has said the South London and East London accents are very different to those who know and I certainly bow to his knowledge on stuff like that. And most things tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    I didn't mean anything of the kind tbh. All Londoners sound the same to me. But DB has said the South London and East London accents are very different to those who know and I certainly bow to his knowledge on stuff like that. And most things tbh.

For a moment I thought you meant someone else, and I was going to retort that it's all misdirection. However, it depends on which direction has more significance. In SW London there are places south of the Thames further north than places north of the Thames. But they're all West London.

I recall that when I was a young man, 50 years and more ago, I could tell which part of Newcastle someone was from, based purely on their accent.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the words "peter kay" and "comedy" belong in the same sentence? Compared to Danny Baker he's totally unfunny. Actually, that's not unique to DB - it applies to everyone. Even Miranda Hart is funny compared to PK.

And can he manage an east London accent?

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I personally have always found Kay's shows hilarious and relatable. Danny Baker on the other hand I find about as funny as piles...
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fan of DB I'm looking forward to this. Not wanting to nit pick before it starts, one thing that puzzled me on reading about it, it's set in 1974 and says when Danny was 15. Being born in 1957 he would have been 17 that year. Any ideas why they've done that?
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Agent Krycek;79388169]Already written, and very good.

I'm unsure about this, loved the book, but Peter Kay as Spud just isn't how I pictured him myself, but will try and watch with an open mind, hopefully as good and funny as the book. The bloke playing Danny has his voice pretty much spot on.[/QUOTE]

How do you know the second series is already written and how do you know its very good?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    How do you know the second series is already written and how do you know its very good?

My apologies, completely misread that and thought you were referring to his second book :)
  • Options
    Holmesc1Holmesc1 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Always liked danny baker, knows his football. As goes for kay whish he would do a 3rd series of phoenix nights
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Ugh...Danny Baker. Pass.

The guy's an absolute genius, the best and also most under rated entertainer and social commentator of his generation.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Surprised a professional northerner like Peter Kay has been chosen to play a cockney, wonder how that will work?

He isn't playing a cockney though, Danny Baker grew up in Deptford, South London.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll watch it, see what it's like.
    I haven't seen a clip yet but I can't help thinking that any role Peter Kay plays that requires a South London accent, and dressing up Kay might morph into Fletch from Porridge.
  • Options
    fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member

Now how come people reply to you about the Manc bit when you post.... but when i said it days ago on page 1 it seems no one read it (inc you!) :o:p:D ;-)

I must be on invisible mode for being a muppet ;)

fozzie74 wrote: »
    Well, he didn't have to travel far as it was filmed in Manchester! He walked past my other half in full character costume. (Not a reason to watch it.. but we prob will ;))

Lots of filming in the northern quarter in the city centre (was used as new york in the crap remake of alfie a few years ago!), and out in Eccles.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/peter-kay-spotted-filming-new-8929697

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-and-tv/danny-baker-peter-kay-perfect-9932397

If he can do the accent...? We'll find out i guess :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    Now how come people reply to you about the Manc bit when you post.... but when i said it days ago on page 1 it seems no one read it (inc you!) :o:p:D ;-)

I must be on invisible mode for being a muppet ;)

:blush: apologies for not noticing your links and showing you recognition for your post it is very easy in the grand scheme of things to miss these things.......not long to go til airtime ....