Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners - Channel 4, 9pm tonight

AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Eeeps it's back..and they seem even worse than the last show. There's one girl that even hoovers the air to catch the dust before it settles..

Is anyone giving it a go tonight with me..?

Comments

• SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am!

I feel sorry for the animals living in that over-crowded tip. The tortoise is deformed so she is obviously not feeding it properly. She is in no position to be owning pets, let alone earning money running a mobile zoo.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I'll tune in, only because it makes my place look positively spotless!
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eeeks, the woman says she has never cleaned her oven...germs galore!!!

Although this guy going to her house bleaches everything that goes into his home, including food packaging and food too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll tune in, only because it makes my place look positively spotless!

It normally makes me want to hoover after the show, which I may even do during the show this time. I'm starting to itch....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh bleachy Hayley is back...this woman is obsessed with bleach that if she could I'm sure she would bathe in it.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If her animals come first how come they are in such bad condition?
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Squatch wrote: »
    If her animals come first how come they are in such bad condition?

She says her animals are her 'business'? Is she an animal hoarder? Gross.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have changed the editing of this show, it was much less confrontational and all the better for it.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She says her animals are her 'business'? Is she an animal hoarder? Gross.

No, she runs a zoo and animal educational programme and takes them in to schools. It is her business and that was explained in the show.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    No wonder you were all talking about it - the OP put the wrong time, and I missed it! Have to watch it on catch up!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    No, she runs a zoo and animal educational programme and takes them in to schools. It is her business and that was explained in the show.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I missed the beginning of this. There have been a few programmes about animal hoarding on other channels and I make sure I don't see them.

I did see the portable toilets though. Now I'm not obsessive or filthy but the thought of cleaning the turd-covered seats made me feel quite queasy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    No wonder you were all talking about it - the OP put the wrong time, and I missed it! Have to watch it on catch up!

Sorry..:(
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where I stand with this show. I have OCD and it has destroyed my life, and the show has that kind of freak show vibe. At the same time, it helps get across how its different to the usual popular culture version, and the whole exposure thing is the right way to go.

I really like Hayley though, she does try. :)
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    They seem to have changed the editing of this show, it was much less confrontational and all the better for it.

I'm not so sure, maybe later episodes might prove it so or not, but the guy was still very much into getting shot of stuff and it being throw away or given away but I agree we didn't see an awful lot of resistance like we used to. It's not a nice dynamic, that confrontation and (to me at least) it seems entirely reasonable that people want to be careful about what they part with and what they don't, it's not as simple as just getting everything out of the way so that you can clean more easily.

Whilst I'm here, did he *really* say that he boil-washes and irons the bedding every single day from the bed that he never actually sleeps in? Along with cleaning the cooker twenty times a day. How many hours are there in a day on his planet? :o: confused:
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayley is my favourite. I'm glad to hear she's in this series. I hope the mother and daughter aren't back, as they used to wind me right up. For weeks I had an earworm of the mother's reaction to hearing that the cafe table she was sitting at had quite a high level of bacteria. "And oiv jusst druunk that piggin' coffoi!" :D
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Ooh bleachy Hayley is back...this woman is obsessed with bleach that if she could I'm sure she would bathe in it.

Don't give her ideas :D

That man bleaching food, :o what is that doing to his insides ?
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does nobody watch this? It's brilliant - episode 5 of 6 tonight
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's a husband who moves in and out, and she is SO overweight she needed a hip op, and they depend on a 23 year old with learning difficulties FFS >:(>:(
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »

I can only watch a few mins at a time. it is a shocker tonight! That man with the hairy house .....His teeth!!! :o:o
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »

I think everything's been said before, the episodes do get very samey:
    minimalist OCD cleaner who dislikes dirt, grime and clutter goes up against someone who hoards stuff and hasn't cleaned for years, battling to chuck things out whilst the hoarder refuses to let anything go. Three days in and it's stalemate, they row, and appear not to have a hope in clearing and cleaning the designated rooms, yet by the end of the fourth day, it's miraculously all done. :D:p

Twice tonight the OCDers said they cleaned something 50 times a day. Really? REALLY? Even if they have six hours sleep that's re-doing it every twenty minutes, which barely leaves time for doing/cleaning anything else whatsoever. They must be prompted by the production team to say such things, surely.

It would be quite interesting to see how the OCDers actually live for a week or so and how they really spend their time. I know it's a compulsion but it must really make having any kind of life more or less impossible, especially those with families. I want to see how cope practically. Has Hayley (for example), really done several series of this show, yet hasn't been able to reduce her compulsion to clean obsessively at all? Tell us more, C4, as it's difficult to understand and for people who aren't at either extreme of the scale, it's possibly a little more interesting than cleaning yet another hoarder's house and ending up with the inane what's (not) changed captions at the end of each episode.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    I think everything's been said before, the episodes do get very samey:
    minimalist OCD cleaner who dislikes dirt, grime and clutter goes up against someone who hoards stuff and hasn't cleaned for years, battling to chuck things out whilst the hoarder refuses to let anything go. Three days in and it's stalemate, they row, and appear not to have a hope in clearing and cleaning the designated rooms, yet by the end of the fourth day, it's miraculously all done. :D:p

Twice tonight the OCDers said they cleaned something 50 times a day. Really? REALLY? Even if they have six hours sleep that's re-doing it every twenty minutes, which barely leaves time for doing/cleaning anything else whatsoever. They must be prompted by the production team to say such things, surely.

It would be quite interesting to see how the OCDers actually live for a week or so and how they really spend their time. I know it's a compulsion but it must really make having any kind of life more or less impossible, especially those with families. I want to see how cope practically. Has Hayley (for example), really done several series of this show, yet hasn't been able to reduce her compulsion to clean obsessively at all? Tell us more, C4, as it's difficult to understand and for people who aren't at either extreme of the scale, it's possibly a little more interesting than cleaning yet another hoarder's house and ending up with the inane what's (not) changed captions at the end of each episode.

While I do think its exaggerated, I wouldn't be surprised if its close to truth at times. It really can rule your life.I do think they've got a set story though. Some of them seem almost unaware of how extreme they can be, even with a diagnosis, which I find hard to believe. I don't know if it is down to the edit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess many of us watch progs like this and think the houses we see are the very worst in the country and we are filled with shock.

My OHs work means he is in other people's houses all the time and he says he's been into plenty of houses like this and worse! he is always coming home with horror stories and Sometimes I feel sick.

Thing is you often can't tell from the outside so we drive around not imagining that behind those curtains lurks a house of horrors.:o:o
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I guess many of us watch progs like this and think the houses we see are the very worst in the country and we are filled with shock.

My OHs work means he is in other people's houses all the time and he says he's been into plenty of houses like this and worse! he is always coming home with horror stories and Sometimes I feel sick.

Thing is you often can't tell from the outside so we drive around not imagining that behind those curtains lurks a house of horrors.:o:o

My now ex is a plumber and like yours finds homes like this.

The one that stands out for me was a man who had a beautiful voice and was in a high paid job. I had to drop some fittings there while my ex was working in his home and :o:o:o It was piled high with newspapers which you had to walk between. A death trap really!

The kitchen was unbelievable but my ex was there to fit a new toilet as his had fallen through the floorboards where he was missing the loo and rotted the floor.

Sometimes outside a home is so different from inside.
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this programme ! I watch it on catch up then blitz my house :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    My now ex is a plumber and like yours finds homes like this.

The one that stands out for me was a man who had a beautiful voice and was in a high paid job. I had to drop some fittings there while my ex was working in his home and :o:o:o It was piled high with newspapers which you had to walk between. A death trap really!

The kitchen was unbelievable but my ex was there to fit a new toilet as his had fallen through the floorboards where he was missing the loo and rotted the floor.

Sometimes outside a home is so different from inside.

ugh! My OH went to a house which looked Ok from outside but when he went in he wanted to run out. A mother and adult daughter lived there and used to breed German Shepherds. The stench of urine hit him as the door was opened. Then he realised that the floorboards were bare and squishy as were the stairs in front of him.

What they used to do was throw buckets of water down the stairs to try and keep the stench down but of course it didn't dry and rotted all the wood. they had 13 GSs in there and the bath was full of trays of dog food and bags of biscuits so they clearly never used that. Every room was used as a kennel and there was just wee and dog poo everywhere.

What shocked me more than anything that both of these women worked in quite a posh restaurant a few miles away. Imagine having your meal served up by people who came from a sh** hole like that and never had a bath!:o:o

My friends older brother is a High Court Judge and she says his house should be on that prog. He lives alone and looks immaculate in court but his house is the pits. She says it is absolutely filthy with cobwebs everywhere, mouldy food, dirty pots and pans, filthy toilets, mountains of old newspapers etc. She visits him about once a year and says she has to take rubber gloves and clean a small area of his kitchen in order to have a cup of coffee with him. he refuses to have someone come in and clean for him.