Mr Selfridge

167891012»

Comments

• Mrs EyreMrs Eyre Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Henri's survival will depend entirely on whether they can persuade M Fitoussi to sign up for S3.

And really Rose - telling Mr S about the galloping consumption before dinner? Why?

Dear Lord L - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Re Henri - Agnes was very clear that she didn't love him the first time round; I don't think she was heartbroken when they parted.
  • Phebes4361Phebes4361 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    lovely ending- although Mrs Selfridge died in the 1919 Influenza outbreak-

Who returns from the front? VIctor didn't go- why not a white feather?

Fab watching Loxley get his comeuppance!
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the whole series and I thought the finale was great.

I'm so pleased that Agnes and Henri are together and, like other FM's, my opinion of Victor has changed completely. I hope Mr Fitoussi signs up for S3 :)

Is that the last we will see of Rose? If they are keeping to the facts then I guess it is :( I hope Harry doesn't go off the rails.

It was great seeing Lord Loxley getting his comeuppance.

Can't wait until S3, can't believe we have to wait until 2015 to see it :(
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Eyre wrote: »
    I think that Henri's survival will depend entirely on whether they can persuade M Fitoussi to sign up for S3.

And really Rose - telling Mr S about the galloping consumption before dinner? Why?

Dear Lord L - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Re Henri - Agnes was very clear that she didn't love him the first time round; I don't think she was heartbroken when they parted.
    I thought that too, why not let him enjoy the dinner without it weighting on his mind and tell him after.
    I didn't see that split between Agnes and Victor coming at all, at the most I thought he would decree that they marry but take up Mr S's offer of her continuing to work at Selfridges. I didn't think Agnes was that in love with Henri; I knew she cared but that's about it. Strange that she can turn it on so quickly for him despite her intent to marry Victor. And him, suddenly so in love with her now that the other lady he was chasing after is out the picture.

And Lord Loxley getting his comeuppance.... I would love to see the next series showing the result of his lies.... i.e. kick out the Lords and peerage, skint and working on one of the buses going pass Selfridges!! :D Best part of the episode for me though was Ms Mardle getting a full and decent apology from Mr Groves and getting her lodger lover in a scrum!! :D

The ending of this last episode was a little damp for me though despite being surprisingly unemotional in regards to the Agnes and Mrs S story lines, but it has been a great series to watch with all the ups and downs of the characters. I can't wait for the next series. ;-)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting Wikipedia about Rose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Selfridge
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting Wikipedia about Rose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Selfridge

Yes, quite a different character from that portrayed in the programme IMO.
  • Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed Miss Mardle asked Florian to stay only after Mr Grove told her to do so. I hoped she'll come to decision herself, strong, independent woman, after this what's happened to her. I know they tried to redeem Mr Grove, but still.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    80's Gal wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the whole series and I thought the finale was great.

I'm so pleased that Agnes and Henri are together and, like other FM's, my opinion of Victor has changed completely. I hope Mr Fitoussi signs up for S3 :)

Is that the last we will see of Rose? If they are keeping to the facts then I guess it is :( I hope Harry doesn't go off the rails.

It was great seeing Lord Loxley getting his comeuppance.

Can't wait until S3, can't believe we have to wait until 2015 to see it :(

Rose definitely won't be in series 3. Frances o Connor has said publicly that's it for her character and there was an article on DS confirming it. Such a shame as she was just so warm and lovely.

Who else will be back? Agnes and Lady Mae for sure and Henri if the actors want to come back. Anyone else bar Mr S could be in line for their P45.
  • FizzfaceFizzface Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I think the Agnes/Henri/Victor triangle has played out really well - and did think it was obvious that things were likely to stop V&A getting married.

In answer to speculation that H&A hadn't seemed in love before, my theory is that yes, Henri did leave Agnes in S1 to go off to his first love (Miss Morrell?). But we find, in this series, that Miss M wasn't as in to him as she thought and married someone else (though regretted it in the end - though why you'd pick someone else over Henri is beyond me!!!). Henri only chased after Miss M in S2 to find her so she could clear his name - though he probably still had rose coloured glassed on for her.

However, when he discovered that she knew he was innocent and it was her hubbie defrauding the company then he came to his senses. He realised that she would have been happy to let him rot in prison. So does he continue to love her - or does he go back to the shop girl who clearly cared for him as she fought to get him help and sent him words of encouragement when he was arrested. He came to his senses and realised that Agnes was the girl for him!

For Agnes I think in S1 she idolised Henri as some fairy tale prince (she referred to him in that type of term in S1). But I think she thought Victor was more on her social level and that's why she dated him and accepted his proposal. However, whilst being fond of him as a close friend, I don't think she really loved him.

All along in S2 you could see Victor had suspicions that A&H had feelings for each other. He tried to be noble and help Henri (as, if he'd scorned him it might have meant that would make Henri even more desirable in Agnes' eyes).

In S1 I thought Victor was going to be a bad 'un. In S2 I changed my mind. But in the last episode there was a look Victor gave that made me wonder if he could turn into a baddie after all!

I do hope Henri will come back to Agnes after the war is over. As everyone says, maybe it depends on whether the actor signs up for the part again. If he does I wonder if the character would then come back from war either with PTSD or with an injury that turns him into Horrible Henri. I just can't see things running smoothly for him and Agnes.

On another note, I hope we haven't seen the last of either Lord Loxley (what a great villain) and Delphine. I think she will be a woman scorned and I could see her chumming up with Lord Lox in order to get one over both Harry and Lady Mae.

Finally, I too have been waiting for Gordon and the Welsh shop girl to become more than colleagues!
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    They've totally lost me now, it is nothing more than a soap.

Shame as his life and legacy was interesting enough without the excessive sexploits.

He was a gambler but didn't go off the rails until his beloved wife died.

But a darn good one all the same!
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Wonderful last episode with all the story lines resolved.

Although I agree with the comments about Rose. Why not start series 3 with the war ending and the men returning in episode 1 and then Rose catches the flu in episode 2. Looks like she will due off screen which would be a shame.

Can't wait for series 3 and to see who returns. Hopefully Lady Mae will be around to provide Harry will a shoulder to cry on!:D:

I'm not normally a fan of period dramas but this has had me hooked from day one. Brilliant final episode, thoroughly enjoyed both it and the whole series. Thrilled we're going to get a 3rd and look forward to seeing what happens next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    katkim wrote: »
    I really enjoyed S2 and can’t wait for S3 to start.

I'm so happy Lord Loxley he got his comeuppance, after the build up this series it was a long time coming and well deserved. He's been a great villain this year. Then they had Rose breaking the news to Harry and then the thanksgiving scene, which made me feel a bit weepy. This episode was a real emotional rollercoaster.

I was a bit annoyed that Henri ended up with Agnes. He hit it and then quit it last year to go off with another woman, was in love with someone else this year, and was generally horrible to Agnes who went out of her way to help him. I had rooted for this pair last year, but now I think Victor is a way better man.

My predictions for next series:
    - Rose will have died and Harry will be dealing with his grief by drinking and generally ignoring his store leaving Mr Crabb and Groves dealing with the fallout
    - Lady Mae will be living a less luxurious lifestyle, but scheming to get back on top of society
    - Gordon will start / be in a forbidden relationship with the welsh shop girl (sorry, forgotten her name)
    - George will be suffering from PTSD
    - Henri will be MIA but turn up alive for a happy ending with Agnes
    - Victor will be running his restaurant and won’t appear, and Kitty and Miss Mardle will also have left the show with their characters married to Mr Edwards and Florian.

The Welsh shop girl's name is Grace.

Completely agree with you about Agnes, Victor and Henri. I wasn't too keen on Victor in series 1, but I have liked him in series 2. Henri is unreliable, slightly arrogant and not really that nice, and I think Victor would be a lot better for Agnes in the long term, and much more devoted to her.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a spoiler for the next series courtesy of the Daily Mail.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »

Yes I am curious to see who else returns for series 3.

Any word on Katharine Kelly and whether she will be back as Lady Mae - wasn't sure as she has just given birth!
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone is interested, and can get the channel, the Yesterday channel has a programme this Wednesday at 9pm as part of the Secrets of Britain series about Selfridge's and Mr Selfridge.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2's 'Shopgirls; the True Story of Life Behind the Counter' is a reality check for people who believe the glossy images portrayed in Mr Selfridge are true. Parts 1 and 2 are repeated tonight at 11.20pm. It's an interesting series in its own right.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they're jumping to 1919, Mrs Selfridge will be a goner. She died in 1918 - unless the scriptwriters decide to tamper with history again.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you had forgotten about it so will put it on record
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of my favourite shows with a brilliant cast and fantastic sets. Also there is so many twists and turns your on the edge of your seat through out the series. Much better than Downton Abbey IMO can't wait for series 3
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love the costumes. Edwardian Menswear is my favourite period, smart and dashing without any foppiness.