Anyone hired a skip?

steve3927steve3927 Posts: 173
Forum Member
Hi, I looking at hiring a skip to get rid of alot of garden rubish including an old shed. I was wondering if anyone has hired one before and could give me an idea of what the cost might be? I would think I'd need a medium sized one as there's a fair amount to get rid of.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do a google search a few companies local to you will have guides on their website. You tick what you want to shove in it, pick a size, roughly how long you want it and it gives you a guestimate. You are probably looking at around £200. I had one last year and it was about that.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve3927 wrote: »
    Hi, I looking at hiring a skip to get rid of alot of garden rubish including an old shed. I was wondering if anyone has hired one before and could give me an idea of what the cost might be? I would think I'd need a medium sized one as there's a fair amount to get rid of.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

I will assume you require an 8 or 10 yarder.

As a rough rule of thumb, 8 yarder = 80 bin bags or 70 rubble bags.

10 yarder = 100 bin bags or 90 rubble bags.

If on the road you will require a skip licence.

Prices vary so much, allow £250 inc for any of the above, the very few are still happy to do cash in hand deals. ;)

Don't use, a knock on the door, I'll take your rubbish away lorry/van man unless you are absolutely sure of him/her/them and they carry the correct licence/paperwork with them.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently hired a medium skip to clear my shed, garden and lots of stuff from my house including 2 double mattresses and a double bed base. There was plenty of room and managed to throw some rubbish in for a neighbour. It cost me £200 for the weekend.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it varies a lot depending where you are and how much the various skip companies are charged by the council for deposing of the waste.

Where I used to live was over £200 for a 4 yard skip, where I am now you can get one for £115 for a week.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Don't use, a knock on the door, I'll take your rubbish away lorry/van man unless you are absolutely sure of him/her/them and they carry the correct licence/paperwork with them.

Don't use them anyway, even when you phone them.

They're not interested in hanging around while you cram in as much stuff as you can, dismantle things etc. They just want to get away as quickly as possible.

(Well, based on my one experience. But you're not going to be able to fill the truck over a period of days as you can with a skip.)
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it be kept on a private driveway or a public road?

If the road, check with your local council as you may need a permit / hazard lighting etc...

https://www.gov.uk/apply-skip-permit
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    Will it be kept on a private driveway or a public road?

If the road, check with your local council as you may need a permit / hazard lighting etc...

https://www.gov.uk/apply-skip-permit
    the skip compnay should ask you and sort that. we pay £150 for ours at work
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one permanently outside my house>:(
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my conservatory was builtast summer the skip was on the driveway and my Tarmac sank slightly..

May have to get that re done
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pound to a penny says you'll wake up in the morning and someone will have dumped busted mattress in it. ;-)
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Pound to a penny says you'll wake up in the morning and someone will have dumped busted mattress in it. ;-)

I do not believe it.....
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I do not believe it.....

Somebody dumped all kinds in mine, roller skates and all kinds

Turns out the firm building the conservatory did it, came from another house
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Don't use them anyway, even when you phone them.

They're not interested in hanging around while you cram in as much stuff as you can, dismantle things etc. They just want to get away as quickly as possible.

(Well, based on my one experience. But you're not going to be able to fill the truck over a period of days as you can with a skip.)
    Hi Bart,

Yes I agree, a skip over a weekend or a few days and at your leisure---much less stressful.

I'm sure this won't apply to the OP but some LAs will not allow skips on certain roads or to get one in those circumstances is expensive and convoluted.

The only option then is a skip on wheels, parked up outside premises and rubbish in--- and no they don't hang around, you have to be prepared.

An added advantage to a skip on wheels to that of a static one is a static one gets filled with rubbish---and not necessarily yours but that can happen on a private drive way as has happened to me on more then several occasions when doing building work.

A man with a van is OK but customer has to check and make a copy of paper work, client's rubbish ends in a field somewhere,---their responsibility.

A man with a van should be a more leisurely pace and they don't get paid until client is satisfied but they don't hang around either where there are meters/park & display. :)