Options

If you could change the format for the next series...

2»

Comments

• Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I love the big production numbers and I love that the acts sing songs I recognize and that have stood the test of time.

Backing tracks add to my enjoyment of the performance and requiring artists to sing their own material means that only song-writers need apply which cuts out a huge swathe of talent who can't write but who are brilliant singers.

The themes are fun, I don't have a problem with them at all.

I wouldn't split judges from mentors per se but I would prevent any judge from voting if an act they mentor is in the bottom two.

I would also suggest that novelty acts like Wagner and Jedward should never be put through to judges' houses let alone the live shows. That way we avoid all of the acrimony that ensues when the public vote for things that have nothing to do with singing talent.

The other thing I'd change is I'd ban all negative threads on this forum and negative articles in the press. That would triple my enjoyment of the show right there :D

Regards

Julian
  • Options
    actuallyactually Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt change a thing and i doubt simon will either ... 13-17million viewers each week...

cant think of another show that causes so much controversay..

PERFECT
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I love the big production numbers and I love that the acts sing songs I recognize and that have stood the test of time.

Backing tracks add to my enjoyment of the performance and requiring artists to sing their own material means that only song-writers need apply which cuts out a huge swathe of talent who can't write but who are brilliant singers.

The themes are fun, I don't have a problem with them at all.

I wouldn't split judges from mentors per se but I would prevent any judge from voting if an act they mentor is in the bottom two.

I would also suggest that novelty acts like Wagner and Jedward should never be put through to judges' houses let alone the live shows. That way we avoid all of the acrimony that ensues when the public vote for things that have nothing to do with singing talent.

The other thing I'd change is I'd ban all negative threads on this forum and negative articles in the press. That would triple my enjoyment of the show right there :D

Regards

Julian

You will never get rid of the negativity, because that takes it's cue from the show setting out to humiliate people and do it on a grand scale.

When they brought the live audiences in for the auditions, it just amplified it.

Again, comparing to MBTM you still had the lousy auditions but the difference was they were still musicians, just bad ones. The criticisms from the judges, who were musicians, were damning and amusing a lot of the time, but they were valid.

It's very different to putting people up on a stage with learning disabilities, mental disorders, or socially inept as X-Factor does. Deliberately chosen out of thousands just for that purpose.

You reap what you sow, and this year becoming so nasty is just the same thing that happened to Big Brother.

In a soap you need characters, storylines, heroes, villains, people you laugh with and people you laugh at. Everyone in this thread is asking the show to be something it was never designed to be in the first place.

The changes made to Pop Idol were for a reason, what you are seeing now is the natural evolution of the route Cowell wanted to take the show down. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and it was Cowell who uncorked the bottle in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better themed weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Better themed weeks.

Yep, totally agree :)

instead of struggling with songs they cant sing to save their lives, they could have,

my favourite song week, to be able to see what sort of music they like.

All singing, dancing week, be good to see mary shaking that arse, haha, or any of the stand still people have a bit of dancing.

Special talents week, be interesting if they played any instruments, to see what they could do.

my style week, for them to dress themselves in how they would like to appear on stage, instead of what some awful stylists choose.

id be happy with that :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    This is an extremely valid thread to the campaigners. Come on - what would you change? This is why of course you are part of the compaign is it not? I see a real lack of ideas and reasoning here - goes to show the campaign is over nothing really when it comes to it, its just a bunch of immature kids and their jealousy :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    kewi wrote: »
    This is an extremely valid thread to the campaigners. Come on - what would you change? This is why of course you are part of the compaign is it not? I see a real lack of ideas and reasoning here - goes to show the campaign is over nothing really when it comes to it, its just a bunch of immature kids and their jealousy :rolleyes:

There have been plenty of ideas expressed in this thread, actually. And I doubt all of the people posting here are part of the 'compaign' (sic) for Wagner. Seriously, are you a troll or just really dumb?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's like this post exists in a little bubble of closemindedness detached from not only this thread, but also the world itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Keep the current audition format (in a large arena). Controversial as it seems, I think it serves as a good way for potentials to show their crowd pleasing/control skills, if they have decent stage presence etc.

- Ditch the sob stories completely and utterly. I know they've been toned down somewhat this season, but personally I can't really warm to someone who has been forced to make doe eyes at a camera whilst speaking about the hardships of working in Tesco, a hairdressers or a cinema cleaning the bogs. I see them as completely unnecessary. Nobody likes them, and they often have a negative impact on an otherwise perfectly nice contestant.

- In addition to the sob stories, stop with the manipulative editing. Let the talent do the talking for a change.

- This year has been particularly hostile in terms of final 12 choices. Allow the public to chose the final 12 contestants, and each judge pick a wild card each.

- The X Factor was originally billed as a show looking for the next pop star who 'had it all'...who could sing, dance, have an audience in the palm of their hand, an extra special something. Over the years it has yo-yoed between that and being strictly a 'singing' competition, mainly depending on which judge is speaking at the time ;). I say revert to the original definition of The X Factor with no more debate over what it is, so as to ensure no act is given an unfair advantage based on what they are better at (singing/dancing etc).

- Keep the themes broad (e.g. rock, ballads, big band, pop etc). There's no reason why the contestants can't be versatile, but focusing on a particular artist's music under the guise of 'paying homage' only fuels speculation that the themes are being selected to suit certain contestants.

- Allow the contestants more creative control (styling, song choice, staging etc). If we have learnt nothing else from TXF since it began, it's that the public do not like corporate puppets. Individuality is key to the show regaining some credibility and producing artists with more longevity.

- Ditch the sing off and subsequent judges vote. In short, it's more hassle than it's worth. As a result, ditch the name 'judge' for simply 'mentor' instead.

I could think of more, but I have a feeling I'd be here all day lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Bananafish wrote: »
    It's like this post exists in a little bubble of closemindedness detached from not only this thread, but also the world itself.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D

Ah, I see what you did there by quoting it.

Touche! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said it before, but I think all the contestants should sign in their own language.
  • Options
    TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Leave the whole show in the Hands of the Public from start to finish no egos being stroked as in "Cowel & Crew" PPL know what they like they don't need these Tools telling them everyweek where their Vote should go!:eek:

Get Rid of whoever has the Lowest Votes no Tool's keeping in who THEY want let the Public decide because they are the the ones going to buy the end Product.

Get rid of the Usual suspect's who every year appear to be Smacked off their teeth!:rolleyes:

No more Miming aloud by any Artist...:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    If I could change two things about the format, firstly I'd set transfer it to America, secondly I'd change it from a talent competition into a fictional show about Zombies.

I love this guy. Every post's a winner :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Conehead wrote: »
    I've said it before, but I think all the contestants should sign in their own language.

Agreed. If Wagner doesn't come out tonight and perform solely in Portuguese Sign Language, then I'm going to cut up my Wagnerite membership card.
  • Options
    flossieblossomflossieblossom Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I'd have real musicians with instruments and everything!!
    They would sing both known songs and their own compositions. No one would be forced to be "versatile" but would be allowed to follow their own style. Mentors would be different people to the judges,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoops! I mean snig!
  • Options
    flossieblossomflossieblossom Posts: 466
    Forum Member

What?
    Who is jealous?
    People are giving their ideas and many are very do-able, although personally the one about the zombies appeals!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Wagner & Cher could do passable zombies. Also Matt & the one direction lads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Conehead wrote: »
    Both Wagner & Cher could do passable zombies. Also Matt & the one direction lads.

I can see Katie pulling off a zombie queen look with her Hallowe'en makeup.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Bananafish wrote: »
    You will never get rid of the negativity, because that takes it's cue from the show setting out to humiliate people and do it on a grand scale.

I'm quite sure we will never see an end to negativity no matter how brilliant the show might become. I just think it's a shame that so many people focus on the negative instead of enjoying the positive.

I understand some people's objection to the auditions but I don't think there's a problem personally. Candid Camera and shows of its ilk were unabashedly about humiliating people for the viewer's amusement. Most people on the receiving end had a sense of humour about it and the net result was still a positive piece of entertainment.

People might get a bit of ribbing from their friends if they've been shown up at an audition but more likely they get recognition and noteriety which does them no harm at all. I also think it's a good thing for some of the deluded ones to get a reality check before they throw hard-earned money away on singing lessons which will never amount to anything.

It's almost like a public service :D

I don't believe anyone is a puppet. I don't believe anyone is being told to produce sob stories that aren't true. I don't believe any of the cynicism that prevails around here and, as such, I enjoy the show immensely every week.

I think its a great platform for discovering talent and boosting people's careers and I think the music industry is the richer for it at the end of the day, not poorer.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing broken about the show is the constant barrage of nastiness directed towards it :mad:

Regards

Julian
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Take away the mentoring role from the judges, so they can go back to simply being judges and we can do away with the ridiculous inter-judge rivalries.

2. Have a vocal coach on the judging panel.

3. Keep all contestants away from the internet/media as far as is possible, and stop dragging them to every 'event' going.

4. Spend more time teaching the contestants the tools of the trade. They need to be having proper training.

5. Sack Brian Friedman and replace him with someone who will create routines that are geared towards the contestants' individual fitness and skill levels.

6. Emphasise the importance of prior experience instead of using it as a reason to criticise, or using inexperience as a reason to praise.

7. Studio recordings (as used in AI) - an excellent idea, which gives us an indication of what the contestants sound like on recordings.

8. Choose songs that are suited to the contestants' vocal range and style.

9. Have the public vote through the final 12 (from a pool of, say, 24) - as is done in AI and was done in Pop Idol.

10. No more sing-offs. The person with the lowest number of votes leaves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it more like the BBC Young Musician of The Year show.
  • Options
    GANA66GANA66 Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More fairness with the airtime of the contestants
    Who messes up the final song in judges house should be out (this also applies to cheryls group)
    Seperate Cheryl and Simon
    Ban last years song (there are enoug other songs to do)
    Reopen the lines for 10 minutes after the singoff, the public to decide
    No manipulations e.g. autotune or other enhancements
    No theme weeks for a specific artist
    No miming
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really like some of the ideas tho the Zombie one seems to be the best.