Options

Should preachers be banned from public places?

lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You know the type. The roughly dressed, bearded individuals who stand in the middle of the street and scream passages from the Bible out at everyone. I passed one the other day calling gay writers such as Oscar Wild "immoral," and shouting insulting things to kids nearby. Seriously... these guys are a pest and tbh not quite right in the head. Should they be told to move on? Or are they already and was the preacher I saw breaking rules anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is not a far cry from Elbow at Glastonbury you are describing there.
  • Options
    Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just chuck an egg or a rotten tomato or two.

Should respect free speech. Doesn't mean you have to agree with the speaker though.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    preaching and religious opinion should be kept in places of worship or between mutually consenting adults, it should not be forced on people in the street.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Definitely not, unless there is a case that they are committing an Offence under the Public Order Act and its relevant amendments etc.

The case the OP cites might be doing that actually.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    No thanks.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no...
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they should be treated the same as anyone else, if they are causing a nuisance or obstruction etc.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. They are free to preach and passers-by are free to ignore them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I'm surprised by the number of people who have said no. Every day I have to fight to get past an already busy, noisy street which is made noiser and more congested by an idiot shouting his head off in this manner. In an open space maybe - but not blocking the blooming main thoroughfare. (Same goes for chuggers who also seem to congretate in annoying places like the top of the steps leading to the tube or at a busy road crossing - I know they're trying to get custom but blocking an already congested route should be unacceptable.)

I'm sure we all think they are a nuisance but if you ban them you are effectively banning free speech. So long as they are not obstructing people or causing public offence then they should be free to say what they want and we are all free to completely ignore them and continue on our merry way to damnation in the flaming fires of hell...
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's a good exercise in tolerance.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freedom to speak = freedom to challenge.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    Yes religious preachers should be banned.

I was dragged along to many open air gospel sermons by my parents and it was terrible and embarrasing.

It would have saved me from that ordeal and also sent a clear message out to the church that the country won't tolerate hell and damnation sermons and intolerance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    Yes religious preachers should be banned.

I was dragged along to many open air gospel sermons by my parents and it was terrible and embarrasing.

It would have saved me from that ordeal and also sent a clear message out to the church that the country won't tolerate hell and damnation sermons and intolerance.

Laws cannot be enacted to save people from being embarresed, that is just a silly proposal. I was dragged to football as a kid, I found it cold and embarrasing, should we ban football?

It is bad enough that we have laws against causing offense now you want ones to stop people being embarrassed. What next laws against boring people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Laws cannot be enacted to save people from being embarresed, that is just a silly proposal. I was dragged to football as a kid, I found it cold and embarrasing, should we ban football?

It is bad enough that we have laws against causing offense now you want ones to stop people being embarrassed. What next laws against boring people?

I had a similar experience of suffering from excrutiating embarrassment in school and hating sports. Of course you shouldn't deliberately make children suffer in this why but people will keep doing it because they can't be bothered to contemplate change.

But a being made to feel humiliated on a public street whilst your church spouts dangerous, unproven and offensive bigoted nonsense is a completely different kettle of fish.

At least you can argue that sport is good for you and a neccessary evil.

There is no real comparison between the two ordeals though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my kids had run to the law every time I embarrassed them in public, I would be writing this from Wormwood Scrubs!
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live and let live; we seem to be becoming an increasingly intolerant society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a similar experience of suffering from excrutiating embarrassment in school and hating sports. Of course you shouldn't deliberately make children suffer in this why but people will keep doing it because they can't be bothered to contemplate change.

But a being made to feel humiliated on a public street whilst your church spouts dangerous, unproven and offensive bigoted nonsense is a completely different kettle of fish.

At least you can argue that sport is good for you and a neccessary evil.

There is no real comparison between the two ordeals though.

This is fascinating; an atheist arguing for freedom of religious expression while a Christian argues to suppress a different Christian point of view they do not happen to agree with.

I think all religious views are unproven and that many of them can be dangerous, short of deliberately provoking hate however I would not want to ban some one saying something just because i think it is nonsense.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has the right to make a ass of themselves in public. The plus side of public preaching is the equal right to heckle if a public speaker is saying stuff that you disagree with.

Once you start banning one group it won't be long before people start finding reasons for banning any group they disagree with.
    himerus wrote: »
    Live and let live; we seem to be becoming an increasingly intolerant society.

We definitely seem to heading down that road. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    This is fascinating; an atheist arguing for freedom of religious expression while a Christian argues to suppress a different Christian point of view they do not happen to agree with.

I think all religious views are unproven and that many of them can be dangerous, short of deliberately provoking hate however I would not want to ban some one saying something just because I think it is nonsense.

I am not a christian I am an agnostic who strongly opposes the religious indoctrination of children.

I just think that their are acceptable forms of religion which do not involve indoctrination and that atheists are promoting nihilism.

I wasn't just citing embarrasment and like I said it is unneccessary and demeaning embarrasment which involves harrassing the public with hell and damnation and anti gay slogans.

Think of what the Phelpses young offspring have to endure like having bottles thrown at them etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrFVjg79_iM
  • Options
    reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone has a right to express an opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not a christian I am an agnostic who strongly opposes the religious indoctrination of children.

You are an agnostic who has a Church? OK then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me its just background noise like the traffic or birds singing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    You know the type. The roughly dressed, bearded individuals who stand in the middle of the street and scream passages from the Bible out at everyone. I passed one the other day calling gay writers such as Oscar Wild "immoral," and shouting insulting things to kids nearby. Seriously... these guys are a pest and tbh not quite right in the head. Should they be told to move on? Or are they already and was the preacher I saw breaking rules anyway.

That tells me all I need to know about the liberal values of the OP.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...

The OP and others should really think carefully before they rush in to ban something they dislike.