Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    With any luck Crystal Palace will take 2-3 points from their next 3 games before they play us. That way our last 2 games will be against safe teams with little to play for.

Of course, there's also every possibility City could drop some points. To me they're showing signs of fatigue. We'd only need them to draw one and suddenly a draw against Chelsea at Anfield would be enough to keep us top.

Still so many possibilities. It's a nice feeling being the ones on top and having everyone else hoping you falter. We won't slip up against Norwich - Stevie won't allow it! :D
    Chelsea have probably got the easiest run in of the three teams involved, us and City must go to Palace and City also must visit Everton, ours and Chelsea's toughest game is against each other.
    City and Chelsea both play Sunderland at home before our next game, so we'll probably go into that game one point behind Chelsea and four in front of City.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as an aside, slightly related, I just want to say, how awesome every football fan was this weekend regarding Hillsborough.

It could have happened to anyone, the year before it may have been the Spurs fans. As a result of the tragedy, the Police and authorities are now more concerned about the safety of the fans than who is more likely to cause trouble.

Thanks to all fans everywhere.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I am going to the service on Tuesday - never been before so that will be a very emotional experience I am sure.

JFT96
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if anyone had the stats for how long each teams been at the top for. Just out of curiosity. It would be interesting to see who it was and if the leagues champions at the end if the season held top spot longest. Anyone know?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what Gerrard says in that group hug? amazing scene :)
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

keeping things in check and same again vs norwich!
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    What a day, what a game, what a team...I really wish they could find the easy way to do it all though.

The first half hours football was sublime, maybe the best of the season so far and we should have buried them with a third at the point. Credit to City and Pelligreni for their second half performance though. Once they got going and put us on the back foot I was thinking we'd be lucky to get the draw. Thankfully it was City's day to suffer some daft defending and little Coutinho hit such a sweet winner :) To come through THAT game in THAT manner must be a huge psychological boost.

I thought Sakho was a bit lucky not to give a way a penalty; as well as missing the ball, he also missed Dzecko who then fell over Sakho on the ground. It just looked so clumsy there's many refs who would have given it.

Kompany was all over Suarez in their box and it should have been a pen too for me, but Clattenberg had obviously had enough of Suarez for the afternoon and was going to deny him the benefit of any doubt.

Skrtel's handball: nobody on the pitch saw it at the time, I don't think anyone in the pub watching it with me saw it at the time and apparently even the TV commentating team only knew about it because of their techs cueing up a replay. I watched it back in slow motion and there's 6 guys jumping for the ball, Skrtel's arms getting caught on Sakho's shoulders then his head and it's the ball that comes down and hits him, he's not reaching for it and I doubt he even knows where it is. Even if the ref had seen it that would have been a really tough one to give.

Henderson's tackle: of course a definite red and such a pity for him and we'll miss him. I suppose he wouldn't have done that in the first half, or a couple of games ago, but with the pressure on his subconscious took over and told him 'title-on-the-line' .

As well as we're playing Suarez and Sturridge seem to have hit a flat spot; the clean cut chances just aren't falling to them. And it's just beginning to show a little as they are reverting to type as it were. Sturridge holding the ball too long and being a bit greedy; Suarez going down far too easy again and he'd cut that out his game. Pressure, again.
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    1) I feel he bottled sending off Suarez when it was a clear dive and ergo a 2nd yellow. You say it was sensible refereeing but then he booked Javi Garcia for his first foul a minute after coming on when he could have easily let it slide...
    I thought it was a dive at first but on replay there was slight contact. Suarez went down very easily but it wasn't a blatant dive. It demonstrates how difficult a job the ref has.

Overall we deserved a win as any refereeing errors probably balanced out. And don't forget we should have got a point at the Etihad on Boxing day,

We have nothing to apologise about for the win today.
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBh_KRi-yCE
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Anyone seen this video yet? Gerrard in the huddle screaming, "We go to Norwich, and we do the same!". Class leader.

http://lockerdome.com/bbcsporf/6169461380096065/6526750549089812

:)

Captain fantastic :cool:

If anyone deserves to lift that trophy, its him!
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    With any luck Crystal Palace will take 2-3 points from their next 3 games before they play us. That way our last 2 games will be against safe teams with little to play for. ....
    That almost makes me more nervous that playing desperate teams.

Palace and Newcastle may be out to just enjoy themselves and their lack of nervousness and tension may make them play better.

But I still expect 6 points from the two games. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a dive at first but on replay there was slight contact. Suarez went down very easily but it wasn't a blatant dive. It demonstrates how difficult a job the ref has.

Overall we deserved a win as any refereeing errors probably balanced out. And don't forget we should have got a point at the Etihad on Boxing day,

We have nothing to apologise about for the win today.

MOTD2 have confirmed there was contact on Suarez, and it wasn't a dive, though he did go down easy, the other episode with Kompany was a foul on him and should have been a penalty.
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Skrtel's handball: nobody on the pitch saw it at the time, I don't think anyone in the pub watching it with me saw it at the time and apparently even the TV commentating team only knew about it because of their techs cueing up a replay. I watched it back in slow motion and there's 6 guys jumping for the ball, Skrtel's arms getting caught on Sakho's shoulders then his head and it's the ball that comes down and hits him, he's not reaching for it and I doubt he even knows where it is. Even if the ref had seen it that would have been a really tough one to give.

no it was a blatant penalty. Skrtel got very lucky! :)
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Sturridge is back and healthy for next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »

I hope he's back and in form, he was dire today. :o
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't hate it if Sturridge spent a game on the bench recovering. Make the rest of the team step up a little and make Sturridge remember how much he needs to work to be the best here.
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    no it was a blatant penalty. Skrtel got very lucky! :)

Do you think it was deliberate then?

I'm not saying the ref wouldn't have given it if he'd seen it, but it was a bit of a melee in there and Skrtel wasn't doing a NBA impression like Carroll was last week. I'd have been gutted if he'd given that.
    Forum Member

for sure. sturridge is major important for us!

yeah he didnt have a great game today. all players have off days!

He has been excellent and we need him fit.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    for sure. sturridge is major important for us!

yeah he didnt have a great game today. all players have off days!

He has been excellent and we need him fit.

Yeah- the alternatives of Moses and Romero aren't exactly thrilling me. Do we just have Suarez up front then? Potential for problems at Norwich - even more so than the loss of Hendo where Allen has shown he's up for it.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah hoping its not too bad for Sturridge.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if anyone had the stats for how long each teams been at the top for. Just out of curiosity. It would be interesting to see who it was and if the leagues champions at the end if the season held top spot longest. Anyone know?

Liverpool have been top (or joint top) for 7 match days so far.
    City 3 match days
    Chelsea 12 match days
    Arsenal 20 match days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Hendo out for three games and Sturridge a doubt for a few I;d go with the following

Gerrard
    Lucas
    Allen
    Coutinho
    Sterling---Suarez
    Forum Member
    If Sturridge does have to have an extra week off we just revert back to the 4-3-3 we used before when he (and Suarez) missed games. Suarez in the middle-Sterling and Coutinho either side; Lucas, Gerrad, Allen in midfield. Not ideal, but they've played that way before.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah- the alternatives of Moses and Romero aren't exactly thrilling me. Do we just have Suarez up front then? Potential for problems at Norwich - even more so than the loss of Hendo where Allen has shown he's up for it.
    Suarez was in his best scoring form when Sturridge was missing from the team earlier this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez would love to be the one pure striker in the side, he needs to bag a few more goals to set a new record.
This discussion has been closed.