Just Been Caught By A Speed Camera

Comments

• downthehatchdownthehatch Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote:
    What wasn't "real world" about what I said?
    12 points can only be issued for a single offence by a court so it is by no means "automatic".

As you said yourself there are possibilites of avoiding a ban. A court might decide not to give you a full 12 points for the single offence if you were only just over the threshold for ending up in court.
    Or in England there is the stupid rule which allows the excuse of requiring driving licence for employment as mitigating circumstances to avoid a ban.

And this +30 mph threshold is by no means a fixed rule, you could end up in court for doing 20 mph over if the police want to, or a police car might catch you doing 110 mph on a deserted motorway and make a conditional offer.
    By real world I meant you were speaking from the rule book again.
    I'm not on about a court issuing 12 points,I'm on about when an ordinary speeding offence or similar will take your total to 12.
    If you plead guilty by post,the money you send is returned and you are summoned to court.
    The magistrates have guidelines about how severe penalties should be dependent on how far over the speed limit you are.
    30mph over is an automatic ban unless you have sufficient evidence to suggest you would face undue hardship if banned(if you were a sales rep for example).
    You would not go to court for doing 20 over the limit unless the police wanted to add careless or dangerous driving to the charges.
    And 110 on the motorway is unlikely to get away with a ban unless the police car camera was faulty and did not get a good picture.(This actually happened on Road Wars the other day).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intheknow wrote:
    That's just stupid and dangerous. Nobody here thinks your clever for breaking the 30MPH limit by that much, if someone accidentally walks out you will kill them outright, if you blow a tyre you will lose control and it would take you more than twice the length of time to stop at 50 than 30.
    Unfortunately I am in the school of thinking that if the pedstrian walks out in the road its their own fault if they are killed or injured.
    This crap about doing 30 instead of 40 for that one in a million chance of a jaywalker is a joke.
    Educate the pedestrians like we used to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nephew was stopped by the police going uphill at 40 mph in a 50 zone, they wanted to know why he was driving so slowly :mad: idiots.
    Perhaps he was in an N reg heap,wore a cap and has a sound system worth more than the car or a bigger exhaust than he should
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tidosho wrote:
    12 points isn't an automatic ban under totting up. It is for drink/dryg drivng except in rare cases where the manner of the offence and not the "wife and 19 kids to support" argument comes in. For example if you can prove someone spiked your orange juice with a triple vodka.
    12 points is an automatic ban no matter how you get the points.
    I know as I had to go to court for a simple speeding offence as it increased the total to 12.
    Drink driving is actually only 10 points but a ban is normal as other things are taken into consideration like dangerous or careless driving/driving without due care and attention
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy answer 3rd gear for a 30 mile hr area if you go too fast the engine whines. No I am not a clever dick I've had a £60 fine and 3 pts on my licence. Hubby gave me this advice and it works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubble56 wrote:
    Easy answer 3rd gear for a 30 mile hr area if you go too fast the engine whines. No I am not a clever dick I've had a £60 fine and 3 pts on my licence. Hubby gave me this advice and it works.
    That would depend on the engine size and how many gears you have
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2ltr engine 6 gears so I,m sure it will work for smaller engines too. Keeps me within the speed limit without accidently going over.
  • LoveSadieKing05LoveSadieKing05 Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If no-one speeded, it would make no money for them - therefore they'd be taken down.

The more you speed - the more money they make - the more cameras they put up.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    If no-one speeded, it would make no money for them - therefore they'd be taken down.

No offence mate but it's easy for a 15 year old who clearly doesn't drive to say that!

The more sensible amongst us, myself included, do try not to speed. But, if you are moving from a faster limit, say off a 60mph rural road, or a dual carriageway or motorway at 70, into a 40 or 30 limit, then it feels painfully slow... slower than you want to go, so you have to try harder not to speed.

The other common situation where it's difficult is where the natural speed where you feel is safest to drive is faster than the speed limit. This is normally on previously NSL roads where the limit has been lowered to 40/50, the road is designed for faster speeds, but nimbys or buck-snatching jobsworth councillors have forced a lowering of the limit.
  • mrshawtymrshawty Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote:
    No offence mate but it's easy for a 15 year old who clearly doesn't drive to say that!

The more sensible amongst us, myself included, do try not to speed. But, if you are moving from a faster limit, say off a 60mph rural road, or a dual carriageway or motorway at 70, into a 40 or 30 limit, then it feels painfully slow... slower than you want to go, so you have to try harder not to speed.

The other common situation where it's difficult is where the natural speed where you feel is safest to drive is faster than the speed limit. This is normally on previously NSL roads where the limit has been lowered to 40/50, the road is designed for faster speeds, but nimbys or buck-snatching jobsworth councillors have forced a lowering of the limit.

Well im not 15 and i also drive and what he said is totally correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

IIRC pressure from the public and other groups has stopped additional cameras being installed beyond those already there.
    The Government obviously realise that the drivers are aware of the truth.
    Cameras DO NOT lower the accident or death rate.
    Cameras are a revenue generator---nothing more.
    And before a real revolt takes place they are cutting their losses and just sticking with the millions they get at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Are you refereing to these forums ?

http://forums.pepipoo.com

There's also

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/index1.html

The forums are good for advice/discussion about safe driving/scameras/etc
  • andyinteractiveandyinteractive Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know as I had to go to court for a simple speeding offence as it increased the total to 12.
    Drink driving is actually only 10 points but a ban is normal as other things are taken into consideration like dangerous or careless driving/driving without due care and attention

Does this 'automatic' ban mean you are banned from driving anything automatic or does this apply to manual vehicles as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    A: Either Vandalised/ Broken

B: Or a Dummy Camera

The same reason as to why there are camera signs everywhere...but no cameras.... :rolleyes:
    I think the one I did 40mph past is a dummy as I have seen so many other drivers doing the same speed.
    I also heard that if you get caught by a speed camera but there were no signs telling you that a camera was there then you can challenge for the fine?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this 'automatic' ban mean you are banned from driving anything automatic or does this apply to manual vehicles as well?

Thats not even close to being funny :sleep:
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    mrshawty wrote:
    Well im not 15 and i also drive and what he said is totally correct.
    Where did i say it wasn't? Just highlighting it's a bit utopian, you know, easier said than done... Anyone who has never sped, is either a really new driver, or a liar.

And since when can an opinion be totally correct?
  • mrshawtymrshawty Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote:
    Where did i say it wasn't? Just highlighting it's a bit utopian, you know, easier said than done... Anyone who has never sped, is either a really new driver, or a liar.

And since when can an opinion be totally correct?

Im sorry but if you find it hard to travel at 30mph after coming off a motorway then you need to stop driving.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    talby wrote:
    There's also

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/index1.html

The forums are good for advice/discussion about safe driving/scameras/etc
    Plus http://www.abd.org.uk/
  • andyinteractiveandyinteractive Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At last! someone with an ounce of sense on this subject!

Fact is....British people are stupid where money i concerned.

People will give handout after handout for whatever reason...and thats WHY the government and laws do this because British people are more than willing to pay up over the slightest thing.

If they put the fee up from £60 to £300 - people would still pay! if they put the TV licence up from £136 to £500 a year...people would still pay regardless....it's the same with fuel, if they put petrol up to £1.95 a litre....people would still pay....and beyond that.

Thats WHY the laws and government get away with it because Brits are simply stupid and will simply pay up....regardless.

They will have a quick moan...there will be a few petitions (all a storm in a teacup) but they WILL pay up whatever the cost.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A ban is the usual outcome if 12 points are accrued by totting up, but the courts do have an option not to ban if they are convinced a ban would cause undue hardship.

A ban is mandatory for drink driving, and dangerous/careless driving has nothing to do with it. If those offences are also present, then the ban can be extended.
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    I have heard of this one before but i dont know if they will follow it up so i cannot comment.

I have known people sell their cars, and i have known people asking for video evidence etc... and even send the letters BACK with 'unknown' on the envelope etc...just to make life as difficult as they can for them.

At the end of the day they need to look at if it's all worth it to chase people up and provide this and provide that etc...

They tried it with me on two occasions (as mentioned) but failed. I was flashed once a good few years ago doing 42mph in a 30 zone on a scooter but because of the 12mph difference i held my hands up and paid.

You will just get done for failing to name the driver, rather than speeding. That is 3 points and a fine.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote:

This is one of the most frustrating things these days - there used to be a simple to understand speed limit system but nowadays its continual mucking about and theres just no consistency between counties. Staffordshire must be amongst the worst - loads of perfectly adequate rural single carriageways dropped to 50 instead of NSL - sometimes you turn off onto a lane and the limit goes up! If you leave your home area you can easily be confused these days as national standards no longer seem to matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A ban is the usual outcome if 12 points are accrued by totting up, but the courts do have an option not to ban if they are convinced a ban would cause undue hardship.

A ban is mandatory for drink driving, and dangerous/careless driving has nothing to do with it. If those offences are also present, then the ban can be extended.
    Please read my earlier post where I said precisely the same thing.
    A ban for drink drive is normal,but again the courts have the power to not hand out a ban in exceptional circumstances,providing the amount over the limit is not very high
  • diamondcatdiamondcat Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on your side, mate. Can't stand the bloody things. They take all the pleasure out of driving. I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this. (And yes, I'm sure that this will provoke a lot of cross responses - and I'm a girl - not a boy racer).
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Road deaths have been dropping off for years because of safer cars with airbags and crumple zones. If they put the money from speed cameras into cancer research they could save many more lives.