MODS: Can we have separate UK/International Politics forums?

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can I request a poll to see if people like this idea?

There are very important things happening the UK, and I find that the forum gets a bit clogged up with issues about international politics, which are, in my view, a different field of interest to domestic politics.

So any chance of two sub-forums within the main one?

UK Politics

&

International Politics

Anyone agree/disagree?

Would you like to have separate UK/International politics forums? 141 votes

Yes, indeed I would
56% 80 votes
No, I certainly wouldn't
43% 61 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I second this

Biffo - could you stick a poll in perhaps? Just an agreement or not to separate
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll's in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You read my mind!

scary :eek:
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we have one for ConDems and one for everyone else too? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »

Awwwwwwww! :cry:

We'd only go for a coalition board you know! :d
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The risk is it becomes too granular. Politics and related themes can be spread across nations and affect internal and external aspects simultaneously.

I think one forum showcasing and listing all topics FMs are interested make it very easy to see what the zeitgeist is and for us to join in with all of those discussions.

What may happen is a lot of us will now have 2 Tabs open and have to keep switching to keep track. And many stories and debates FMs would really be interested in may be missed and not discussed fully or with as appropriate a group as it would have been had it been on a single forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »

I think that would rather defeat the purpose of a political discussion forum, wouldn't it?
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    The risk is it becomes too granular. Politics and related themes can be spread across nations and affect internal and external aspects simultaneously.

I think one forum showcasing and listing all topics FMs are interested make it very easy to see what the zeitgeist is and for us to join in with all of those discussions.

What may happen is a lot of us will now have 2 Tabs open and have to keep switching to keep track. And many stories and debates FMs would really be interested in may be missed and not discussed fully or with as appropriate a group as it would have been had it been on a single forum.

I agree with the above; there's no need for a (political) sub-forum; it'll just complicate things.

Sometimes, what happens in other parts of the world, affects domestic policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    I agree with the above; there's no need for a (political) sub-forum; it'll just complicate things.

Well if you stopped spamming up the place with the latest story about how some Israeli minister bought a new pair of shoes or something, then we wouldn't need to.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I request a poll to see if people like this idea?

There are very important things happening the UK, and I find that the forum gets a bit clogged up with issues about international politics, which are, in my view, a different field of interest to domestic politics.

So any chance of two sub-forums within the main one?

UK Politics

&

International Politics

Anyone agree/disagree?

I disagree. Where do we post all the many events that involve our government in foreign affairs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I disagree. Where do we post all the many events that involve our government in foreign affairs?

UK politics - as it would directly involve UK politicians.

The international politics forum would be for things like elections in the US, or the goings on in Israel or Korea. Stuff with a more international flavour.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact the ONLY reason the OP suggested this is because they are upset at topics they have no interest in. Sorry but i don't believe this is anywhere near a good enough reason to warrant a forum split.

Is it any different from saying:

"I want my own forum where I can discuss what I want without seeing FMs post that I don't want"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    In fact the ONLY reason the OP suggested this is because they are upset at topics they have no interest in. Sorry but i don't believe this is anywhere near a good enough reason to warrant a forum split.

Is it any different from saying:

"I want my own forum where I can discuss what I want without seeing FMs post that I don't want"

That's not true at all, but with there being so many issues happening domestically and internationally, you can't fit all areas of interest onto one forum.

If the two subjects were split across two forums, you'd be able to discuss them much more in depth, without subjects being pushed onto page 2 on a busy day.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well if you stopped spamming up the place with the latest story about how some Israeli minister bought a new pair of shoes or something, then we wouldn't need to.

BB, no-one's forcing you to read certain threads. You can always pass over them :)
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    UK politics - as it would directly involve UK politicians.

The international politics forum would be for things like elections in the US, or the goings on in Israel or Korea. Stuff with a more international flavour.

Fairy nuff, that sounds acceptable.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    I think that would rather defeat the purpose of a political discussion forum, wouldn't it?

De ye think? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not true at all, but with there being so many issues happening domestically and internationally, you can't fit all areas of interest onto one forum.

If the two subjects were split across two forums, you'd be able to discuss them much more in depth, without subjects being pushed onto page 2 on a busy day.

Agreed.

I think that both domestic and international political issues are very important and very worthy of debate. In this way, both areas of interest retain their prominence rather than as Biffo says, sometimes get lost onto page 2..

I actually think the domestic section should be debating about domestic UK political issues. The international section could be about any political issue to do with any other country and general world politics.

However, this is just my opinion and I can understand why some other FMs may take a different view.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Can I second this

Biffo - could you stick a poll in perhaps? Just an agreement or not to separate

I also fully support this move too and thank you very much Biffo the Bear for this eminently sensible suggestion. :)

That way we could have a Domestic UK Politics forum and a wholly separate International Politics forum. It is an entirely logical proposal as well.

It would also be an excellent way of separating out serious discussions about UK political matters from the tiresome and poisonous anti-Israeli, anti-Palestinian, pro-Iranian regime posts by the usual bigoted suspects. There is no attempt at serious debate in such threads because they are rooted in hatred and cheap and ignorant pointscoring.

The pathetic individuals in the bigot category can then spend their sad and pointless days posting their biased rants to each other and none of the rest of us have to see them.

So far, this proposal has 80% support and if it stays that way then I hope that the good Digital Spy moderators can enact this excellent proposal from Biffo the Bear.

Bring it on, I say!
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree too - I'm generally interested to see any thread about domestic politics but far more selective about which international issues I'd read.

Looking at the range of unopened threads on the forum for me at the moment they are generally to do with the Middle East or American politics which interest me far less.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In principle it sounds like a good idea but for the people who are fed up with the constant threads started by the Usual Suspects on both sides of the Israel/Palestine debate it's simpler just not to read the threads in question
  • currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Biffo's suggestion.

Can we have also a section for the CT's so they can bang on about 9/11 to their hearts content?
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    In principle it sounds like a good idea but for the people who are fed up with the constant threads started by the Usual Suspects on both sides of the Israel/Palestine debate it's simpler just not to read the threads in question

To be fair, it's not just about that because, for example, threads about US or Australian politics would also be placed in the new International Politics forum where discussions about those matters would take place.

As the numbers of threads in the current forum indicate, most posters are interested in UK domestic political issues and it seems perfectly reasonable to put all non-UK politics matters in a separate place.

After all, that is what the major news websites in the UK do anyway. They have separate sections of UK and World/International News so I do not see why we cannot have this same system here too.

That this move also separates out most of the loons' threads is just a nice by-product.
    Forum Member
    currysocks wrote: »
    I agree with Biffo's suggestion.

Can we have also a section for the CT's so they can bang on about 9/11 to their hearts content?

As that's an American issue, currysocks, that would also go into the International Politics forum in the event that it were to be created. There are many good reasons to have a separate forum for international matters and the matters you mention could therefore be discussed at length there whilst the rest of us stick to UK domestic political issues.

Yet another good reason for this move.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D lol.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB, no-one's forcing you to read certain threads. You can always pass over them :)

Can you ask the mods to make the politics board automatically take us to page 2 then when we click on the URL?
This discussion has been closed.