Options

Canton Everett Delaware III....great character!

13»

Comments

• Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was gay marriage even an idea in 1969? Seems anachronistic for a time when consensual sodomy was probably still a criminal offence in most parts of the US.

As far as I can remember there has never been a movement for 'gay marriage' until very recently, and even then it isn't marriage but civil partnership. In the 60s anyone admitting being homosexual would have been seriously disapproved of in most places even if it wasn't actually still illegal, and 'marriage/civil partnership' as such simply wasn't mentioned. Men and women living together rather than marrying was still pretty recent, and that wasn't approved of either by a lot of people. That bit did jar as it seemed out of kilter, a shame as the rest of it did seem very much of it's time.

By the way on a second viewing what about the bit about when the little girl got out of the suit and we lost sight of Amy, could there have been some switching of bodies/minds or something similar going on? Amy clearly has no idea where she is when she comes round 5 days later and the little girl has just vanished. Just one of many increasingly-desparate thoughts:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed his character only seen him in Chuck and Supernatural before Doctor Who would love him to return.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was gay marriage even an idea in 1969? Seems anachronistic for a time when consensual sodomy was probably still a criminal offence in most parts of the US.

But even in 1969, I'm sure many homosexuals would've dreamt that one day they may be able to marry. Just because there was no legal movement for it, doesn't mean the individuals didn't want to be able to marry the person they love.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately the gay bit was as contrived as usual. Canton would never have admitted that to the president in 1969. This stuff is just about shoving political correctness into tv programs for the sake of it.

It was a good episode, but the ending was too soon. There was enough material with the silence to run defeating them over many more episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the gay bit was as contrived as usual. Canton would never have admitted that to the president in 1969. This stuff is just about shoving political correctness into tv programs for the sake of it.

It was a good episode, but the ending was too soon. There was enough material with the silence to run defeating them over many more episodes.

I think someone like Canton would have said it. Some people weren't (aren't) ashamed to be gay. Especially then when they needed to be vocal about against homophobia. Why should he be ashamed to be gay? He had lost his job in the FBI over it. How did they find out? He must've said or was open about it in some way.

It didn't force the issue, it was a comment said in a way that was showing that there's nothing wrong with wanting to be with a black person, or being gay. Children need to hear that, even if they don't consciously pick up on it.

Why should Amy and Rory be open about their love and Canton not about his male lover? If the person had been a black female would that be political correctness?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    As far as I can remember there has never been a movement for 'gay marriage' until very recently, and even then it isn't marriage but civil partnership.

No, it's marriage.
  • Options
    kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed his character only seen him in Chuck and Supernatural before Doctor Who would love him to return.

He was a very convincing pschopathic dead doctor in medium!
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's marriage.

Not in law
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's marriage.
    Talma wrote: »
    Not in law

I don't think the Doctor who forum is where this should be discussed. ;)
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Great character but I thought RTD was the one accused of being in the Gay Mafia™. Surely Moffat can't also be accused?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Canton also admitted to the President that he was his "second choice" ie. he didn't vote for him. Canton was clearly made out to be somewhat outspoken and not afraid to say what was on his mind, regardless of how it might be taken. It's why the Doctor took an obvious liking to him.

I don't think it had anything to do with shoving political correctness into the show. If anything, it was played entirely for humourous purposes and the President didn't exactly condone homosexuality. In fact, Nixon did exactly what you'd expect a politician to do - avoid the whole issue with some statement that really meant nothing.

It was actually quite amusing the way Nixon tried to make out he was actually some closet lieral, as he assumed it was a race issue and he was going "oh, look at me, all ok with the controversial political issues," and then Canton puls the gay card and Nixon goes "oh shit, I can't agree with this one, but I can't back out now. What shall I do? I know, not answer and try not to look unconmfortable."

Canton's reaction was priceless. He clearly just wanted to watch Nixon squirm.

I somehow doubt the Silence were completely defeated there.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who think they were finished off in "Day of the Moon." If they were to just be a one story villain, there was no reason to tie the to "the silence" mentioned from last year. It had no relavence to this story, so if that was it for them, they may as well have been a totally unrelated alien threat.

They're clearly not finished for good. They'll be back.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Great character but I thought RTD was the one accused of being in the Gay Mafia™. Surely Moffat can't also be accused?

Moffat really should have had Canton want to marry a Scot, just to keep up with his Scottish Agenda.

Marrying a Scot is illegal, right? :p
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Canton probably wouldn't have mentioned it at all until Nixon said he'd be able to sort something out. Canton already knew that a promise to the Doctor wouldn't change a thing.