Options

Why did Christopher Eccleston leave ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry just something i always wondered ?
Did he hate Dr who?

Comments

• Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    he said he left for political reasons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    he said he left for political reasons

Like what ?
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    MrTaylor wrote: »
    Like what ?

dont know

google it and some ideas will come up

he did say a few weeks ago that he loves kids coming up to him saying they loved him on Doctor Who
  • Options
    RolnikovRolnikov Posts: 967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's said he was unhappy with the way the crew were being treated. And although he didn't say this was why he left, he also mentioned being a bit naive about what kind of scripts Russell Davies would be able to write for that timeslot.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolnikov wrote: »
    He's said he was unhappy with the way the crew were being treated. And although he didn't say this was why he left, he also mentioned being a bit naive about what kind of scripts Russell Davies would be able to write for that timeslot.

Could you should provide a source for that last sentence as I have never heard that he said any such thing, and it seems incredibly unlikely, frankly, especially as naive is the last thing anyone would call Eccleston?

In regards the OP there is a lengthy thread on this topic further down the page where the ins and outs are discussed in some detail...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Could you should provide a source for that last sentence as I have never heard that he said any such thing, and it seems incredibly unlikely, frankly, especially as naive is the last thing anyone would call Eccleston?

Course - it's on Doctor Who at the BBC: A Legend Reborn, on CD1 (at least it was on my advance review copy - the CD got pulled from shops just before release; not sure what was changed for the retail version).

I couldn't tell you which particular interview it is without listening to it all again. Naive is his word rather than mine, although he quickly backtracks, realising he's given the impression that he was disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Course - it's on Doctor Who at the BBC: A Legend Reborn, on CD1 (at least it was on my advance review copy - the CD got pulled from shops just before release; not sure what was changed for the retail version).

I couldn't tell you which particular interview it is without listening to it all again. Naive is his word rather than mine, although he quickly backtracks, realising he's given the impression that he was disappointed.

Okay, thanks, I haven't heard of that CD. :)

So this was a dissuasion about making the series at the time rather than as in relation to an interview after he had left? I don't think it's fair to apply something he may have said about the process of making the show and translating it to a reason he left, especially as nothing he said since he left seems to support it.

We may never know the full story behind why he left, but all evidence points to him leaving primarily because of how he felt the crew were treated by certain people and not being willing to accept it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the exact quote:

"The main attraction was getting eight scripts by Russell T Davies. Bit naive in a way, because, to a certain extent, Russell is constrained, by... the fact that it's Doctor Who -- in fact he's not constrained, I think he's writing at the top of his form."

It's at 3:36 of track 3 of my copy, talking to Jo Whiley on 24 March 2005.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Okay, thanks, I haven't heard of that CD. :)

So this was a dissuasion about making the series at the time rather than as in relation to an interview after he had left? I don't think it's fair to apply something he may have said about the process of making the show and translating it to a reason he left, especially as nothing he said since he left seems to support it.

We may never know the full story behind why he left, but all evidence points to him leaving primarily because of how he felt the crew were treated by certain people and not being willing to accept it.

I did mention the crew. But I don't at all think it's unfair to bring his comments up in this context. The interview was, after all, done after he had already quit the job. And if someone who has just quit an acting job says they were naive about the scripts they'd be working on, that's certainly worth mentioning, at the very least, in the context of a discussion of why they left, even if it's not the major factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    He (Eccleston) is not going to tell us! I imagine the only way to get the real goss on Ecc's departure is to approach one RTD when he's plastered on a night out:) Maybe Ecc found out the BBC was planning to move Who production to Salford:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the exact quote:

"The main attraction was getting eight scripts by Russell T Davies. Bit naive in a way, because, to a certain extent, Russell is constrained, by... the fact that it's Doctor Who -- in fact he's not constrained, I think he's writing at the top of his form."

It's at 3:36 of track 3 of my copy, talking to Jo Whiley on 24 March 2005.

Thanks for that, but again, there is no evidence to suggest his departure had anything to do with the scripts. I think it's an unfair leap of logic to make, based on a couple of sentences in an interview which are not supported by anything that has been said on the subject by any involved parties since.

Besides which I am pretty sure that no one can say they haven't at some point in a discussion expressed a point poorly and had to clarify what they meant.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great little debate between Rolnikov and Muttley. It's been a long time since I read an interesting exchange of views in a thread.

I aint taking sides on the debate though :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still wonder how leaving a show can make conditions better for those left behind?

Or why Eccleston seemed to be the only one bothered by alleged conditions, both at the time or since.

Please don't tell me it's because of his "integrity", as if he's the only person connected with DW who has such a strange and uncommon thing!

I know a lot of people like Eccleston (I do myself, though not as the Doctor), but that doesn't mean he's always right.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still wonder how leaving a show can make conditions better for those left behind?

Or why Eccleston seemed to be the only one bothered by alleged conditions, both at the time or since.

Please don't tell me it's because of his "integrity", as if he's the only person connected with DW who has such a strange and uncommon thing!

I know a lot of people like Eccleston (I do myself, though not as the Doctor), but that doesn't mean he's always right.

He's not 'right' to do what he wants with hs own career? 'Right' has got nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    He's not 'right' to do what he wants with hs own career? 'Right' has got nothing to do with it.

I never mentioned his career.

Neither did he, apparently.

If he left because he wanted to do different things, or because he saw DW as hindering his career, then that's his choice and that's fine.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never mentioned his career.

Neither did he, apparently.

If he left because he wanted to do different things, or because he saw DW as hindering his career, then that's his choice and that's fine.

It sure is. So why did you make such aggressive comments about him? Actually, forget that: let's talk about muffins. Which is your favourite flavour?
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    It sure is. So why did you make such aggressive comments about him? Actually, forget that: let's talk about muffins. Which is your favourite flavour?

Blueberry!

(*smug smirk* Yeah, I have an opinion :cool:)
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um, guys, can we not have an argument about something we're not involved in, do you think this is GD?! :o:p
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston left because he'd absorbed the energy from the time vortex, and nobody is supposed to do that.
  • Options
    stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a habit of leaving series for fear of being type cast
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Christopher Eccleston left because he'd absorbed the energy from the time vortex, and nobody is supposed to do that.
    I am trying to do my college work, please do not make me think of that :D
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Nah, he left because John Barrowman snogged him in Parting of the Ways!;)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Because it brings a lot of attention to bear on the reasons of your leaving?

Even if it doesn't, even if you have enough integrity not to name names, it would be very difficult to stay and be complicit in something you feel strongly against.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard various whispers down the years , that point to some of what has already been discussed in this thread being true. Alongside issues with elements of the production staff and schedule , Chris was travelling back and forth to Salford from Cardiff on a regular basis at the time. Due to his Father being seriously ill. This possibly exacerbated the issues he had with the way work was going in Wales.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTaylor wrote: »
    Like what ?

Eccleston voted Labour and the rest of the crew were a coalition of Liberals and Conservatives I guess. ;)

While the truth about the frictions behind the scenes regarding Eccleston is probably the best kept secret in TV, I personally believe Eccleston was never that keen to be Doctor Who but was rather jumping at the chance to work with RTD again. Eccleston always made it clear in interviews that he never had any particular affinity for the programme (which is a reason plenty of other actors have turned it down before). I don't think Eccleston ever dreamed of being a cult sci-fi star. I think that's the reason he got out as fast as he could, and the reason he doesn't wish to maintain any association with the show through interviews etc.