Options

I Love the 1980's

Comments

• Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    It was not just about shows it was about events at the time, like someone said Johnny Vegas reminiscing about when Spacehoppers and Choppers were about, he was born in 1971 so he couldn't possibly remember and I remember someone else saying how brilliant and refreshing the Punk era was, they were born in in about 75/76.
    It's like me being invited to give a talk on what it's like to be in the Army today instead of asking someone who is actually in the Army.

I'll give you the punk era thing but I was born in 1970 and remember both space hoppers and chopper bikes (and the chopper's teeny brother - the budgie) with vivid clarity. Both were introduced in the UK towards the end of the 60s and remained in use for much (if not all) of the 70s, so anyone born in 1971 could easily remember them well.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great series of programmes.

About the same time C4 were doing a 'Top Ten' series of programmes, also on a Saturday night. Every week they would have a Top Ten of different themed songs, rock/country/guiter/punk etc. A different presenter every week, I remember Alice Cooper doing the Top Ten rock songs. I think the top ten were based on record sales.

Would love to see these Top Ten and I Love programmes repeated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    That's what annoyed me too, you would have people in their 20's reminiscing about events from the 70's and 80's when they would have been babies.
    It annoyed me so much I kept going to the computer to check how old these young people would have been in the years they had such fond memories of.

I was born in 77 and can remember 1983 onwards pretty vividly, but I'm told I'm a bit of a freak in this respect! :p

But at the moment I'm getting heavily into the music and pop culture of the very early 80s, it's something I can relate to from the years I remember, but I'm discovering loads of stuff as if it were new.

I feel fairly well qualified to comment on videos and songs I'm listening to, though I suppose I fall down on how people related to it at the time. I mean... hair flopping over one eye in the New Romantic era... did that fashion catch on in schools? :eek::D
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a little plug for something I have been doing on Youtube some of you 80's music fans might like it:

The Biggest Selling Singles of 1988.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCRBHtnK3g
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give you the punk era thing but I was born in 1970 and remember both space hoppers and chopper bikes (and the chopper's teeny brother - the budgie) with vivid clarity. Both were introduced in the UK towards the end of the 60s and remained in use for much (if not all) of the 70s, so anyone born in 1971 could easily remember them well.

But you can't remember Space hoppers and Choppers when they first came out, I can remember the Beatles but it would be daft to ask me how I felt when they first came on the scene because I was too young to remember.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I only recorded the 1988 one in full I'm afraid (as it had Ninja Turtles and Sumo on), and the odd clip of 1974 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can't remember Space hoppers and Choppers when they first came out, I can remember the Beatles but it would be daft to ask me how I felt when they first came on the scene because I was too young to remember.

But space hoppers and choppers were a huge part of the 70s as a decade which I remember very well. They also (current retro aside) were only really part of that decade. I don't think you can compare someone remembering playing with a toy (which I do very clearly) during the decade in which it was most popular (which I was alive for nearly all of, as was Johnny Vegas) with claiming to remember a pop era that wouldn't have been relevant to you. So what if you don't remember when they absolutely first came out? It's still a strong memory that fits the decade in question.

I know I sound a bit over-vehement here but I hate people telling me I'm too young to really remember something that I actually remember exceptionally well. Not that this is what you were doing. You were questioning Johnny Vegas' memory. Which may indeed be carp ;).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I may have had a space hopper when I was wee too (but I was born in the 80's).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But space hoppers and choppers were a huge part of the 70s as a decade which I remember very well. They also (current retro aside) were only really part of that decade. I don't think you can compare someone remembering playing with a toy (which I do very clearly) during the decade in which it was most popular (which I was alive for nearly all of, as was Johnny Vegas) with claiming to remember a pop era that wouldn't have been relevant to you. So what if you don't remember when they absolutely first came out? It's still a strong memory that fits the decade in question.

I know I sound a bit over-vehement here but I hate people telling me I'm too young to really remember something that I actually remember exceptionally well. Not that this is what you were doing. You were questioning Johnny Vegas' memory. Which may indeed be carp ;).

But they were particular years not decades, why ask someone about their thoughts on 1975 unless they were old enough to have actual memories of 1975?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they were particular years not decades, why ask someone about their thoughts on 1975 unless they were old enough to have actual memories of 1975?

Ah, now there I agree with you. And I'd also agree that Johnny Vegas almost certainly wouldn't be able to remember the year in question apart from a few fleeting flashes.

I do but I'm a year older ;).
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I remember those, wasn't The Simpsons No 1 in the majority of those countdowns they did including the Top 100 Kids TV shows of all time.

Yes it did. They did 100 Greatest Kids TV shows and The Simpsons won that despite it not even being a kids show, and then they did the 100 Greatest TV Characters and Bart Simpson won that ahead of far more deserving winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, now there I agree with you. And I'd also agree that Johnny Vegas almost certainly wouldn't be able to remember the year in question apart from a few fleeting flashes.

I do but I'm a year older ;).

I didn't question his age at the time as I thought he was at least 10 years older than he actually is:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it did. They did 100 Greatest Kids TV shows and The Simpsons won that despite it not even being a kids show, and then they did the 100 Greatest TV Characters and Bart Simpson won that ahead of far more deserving winners.

And didnt the Guiness Surfers ad win the Best TV ad of all time? :eek: It was a great ad at the time but best ever? :eek:
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was even a short-lived panel show with Zoe Ball, I think it was called "We Love.......year"
    It was on Saturday evenings I think and concentrated on one year each week.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was called Class Of... where they reunited two groups of school friends who left school in a particular year and they had to answer questions on things to do with that year, and a musical from that year played at the end. I think I've some on video somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes "Class Of" - of course it was.
    I'm glad someone else remembered :)

I enjoy nostalgia stuff - I think there was just one series wasn't there?

Was it directly linke to the "I Love" brand or just a spin-off?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically The I Love Series was a BBC Production shown on BBC 2 during the turn of the 21st Century. There was 3 series, one for the 70s, one for the 80s and one for the 90s. Each series had 10 programmes with each programme concentrating on one year.

Each year would then look at the themes of that year whether it was music, tv, lifestyles, fashion etc. The weird thing was that the 90s retrospective series was either shown in 2001 or 2002 and it was a bit weird them doing a retrospective on I Love 1999 and the people involved making it sound like it was decades ago!

Theres more at
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/
    ...but I don't think there was I Love 60s series despite there being a section on that website.

After reading that link I think if they ever repeated I Love 1970s they may either have to skip 1970, remove the presenter links or get a new presenter to do the links as that was presented by Jimmy Saville.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    The scary thing is they could easily do an I love the 1990s now. How time flies!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Sky wrote: »
    The scary thing is they could easily do an I love the 1990s now. How time flies!!!

They did do the 90s
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    A great series of programmes.

About the same time C4 were doing a 'Top Ten' series of programmes, also on a Saturday night. Every week they would have a Top Ten of different themed songs, rock/country/guiter/punk etc. A different presenter every week, I remember Alice Cooper doing the Top Ten rock songs. I think the top ten were based on record sales.

Would love to see these Top Ten and I Love programmes repeated.

Enjoyed the top 10 themed C4 shows too; they included an edition where they tracked down 10 one hit wonders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    They did do the 90s

Yeah but I think the poster means it would have made more sense to do a 90's one now, rather than in 2001 when the series was originally broadcast because back then the 90's was far too recent - doing a show looking back at 1999 (2 years prior!) in 2001 was just silly :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I remember those, wasn't The Simpsons No 1 in the majority of those countdowns they did including the Top 100 Kids TV shows of all time.

Conveniently enough Channel 4 had the license then. Id never make it number one when its supposed to be a family show not a kids one.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Ah yes "Class Of" - of course it was.
    I'm glad someone else remembered :)

I enjoy nostalgia stuff - I think there was just one series wasn't there?

Was it directly linke to the "I Love" brand or just a spin-off?

I don't think it was anything to do with the I Love series, just jumping on the bandwaggon. I don't think there were many editions of it, so I'm guessing it wasn't that popular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Yeah but I think the poster means it would have made more sense to do a 90's one now, rather than in 2001 when the series was originally broadcast because back then the 90's was far too recent - doing a show looking back at 1999 (2 years prior!) in 2001 was just silly :D

Yes, this. I didn't know they already did a 90s one...ridiculous really to do it that soon after the finishing of the decade.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Sky wrote: »
    Yes, this. I didn't know they already did a 90s one...ridiculous really to do it that soon after the finishing of the decade.

I think it was partly down to giving the audience what they wanted at the time as the I Love 70s and I Love 80s series were popular but as you say whilst it was probably ok to remember say 1990 in a programme made in 2001/2. Remembering 1999 in 2001/2 doesn't have the same appeal for me!

Edit: Sorry didn't realise this point has already just been made :D

They even made BBC 2 idents for the programmes.

I Love the 70s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txtOVolBuSw
    I Love the 80s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmfuvICoHU