Is there still a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Mo_Park1Mo_Park1 Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    absolutely not!
    Just ridiculous to even suggest so.
  • beanie.beanie. Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now now Beanie no violence, and yes I would agree most of the NI people want peace in their little part of the world.
    The vast majority voted for peace with the GFA, it's just the diehard splinter groups who give NI a bad name which in turn gives Ireland a bad name.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    Fair enough. I seen earlier you saying it should always be 'Londonderry'. If that is what you call it, that's fine. People can call it what they want. Derry/Londonderry/The Hole whatever suits.

This country needs to move on from all the bigotry and hate, it is only costing us. It is costing us from focusing on the real issues and we are hampering the future of the population of Northern Ireland by not allowing ourselves to spend money in the areas that truly matter. And I know for a fact that all religions care about the future of their children and grandchildren thereafter.

Well said. Sorry if that annoyed you. We have a chance to move on, gotta get even over feckin names. Annoys me what is happening in world
  • beanie.beanie. Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This country needs to move on from all the bigotry and hate, it is only costing us. It is costing us from focusing on the real issues and we are hampering the future of the population of Northern Ireland by not allowing ourselves to spend money in the areas that truly matter. And I know for a fact that all religions care about the future of their children and grandchildren thereafter.

There are thugs in every society, unfortunately in NI the thugs can pretend to be fighting one cause or another, when in reality they are just thugs who like rioting and fighting. Everywhere else they just become soccer hooligans are feral street gangs.

I remember being very suprised and saddened watching news footage on the flag issue last year, most of them were youths, they were too young to have ever been effected by the civil rights issues. So either they were reared with the hatered or (as I prefer to imagine) just thugs rioting about coloured bits of cloth.
  • weelass2010weelass2010 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    beanie. wrote: »
    There are thugs in every society, unfortunately in NI the thugs can pretend to be fighting one cause or another, when in reality they are just thugs who like rioting and fighting. Everywhere else they just become soccer hooligans are feral street gangs.

I remember being very suprised and saddened watching news footage on the flag issue last year, most of them were youths, they were too young to have ever been effected by the civil rights issues. So either they were reared with the hatered or (as I prefer to imagine) just thugs rioting about coloured bits of cloth.
    We should all be proud of the flag we follow,but we should never fight against each other.
    Unfortunately NI is about thirty years behind the ROI in putting the past to bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should all be proud of the flag we follow,but we should never fight against each other.
    Unfortunately NI is about thirty years behind the ROI in putting the past to bed.

Wise up - NI is 30 years ahead of ROI taking on jobs,

We in UK you are still paying off debts to the EU,

Learn some info before you make a stupid statement.
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Ashleigh came second because she is a Republican and the majority of NI are loyalists. Thank God people in the ROI can't vote

You're an idiot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really turning into a southern /Northern divide post. And the funny thing is it on a big brother forum.

Big feckin brother :D
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Clutching at straws much? :D
  • weelass2010weelass2010 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    odz1 wrote: »

Don't call me stupid !!! If you read my post I was talking about people moving on ''Politically'' and so what WE in the ROI are paying our debts!!!! so what's your problem ? and yes I believe NI are thirty years behind the ROI in their thinking.
  • rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, because the city is a part of the UK and it's official name is whatever the UK government decrees it to be, which is Londonderry.

People who live there, or in ROI, can call it what they like but they're still incorrect. It's no business of people in ROI what a place in the UK is called

It was no business of the uk taking it in the first place but hey ho ....
  • rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't call me stupid !!! If you read my post I was talking about people moving on ''Politically'' and so what WE in the ROI are paying our debts!!!! so what's your problem ? and yes I believe NI are thirty years behind the ROI in their thinking.

True , socially and culturally ROI is miles ahead of ni in every aspect
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    True , socially and culturally ROI is miles ahead of ni in every aspect

Totally agree. Bigotry, etc isnt really problem at all in the republic. Obviously that's because independence was granted, so it isn't really an "insult" saying NI is behind, its just a fact, which there is good reason for, sadly.

But at least this thread shows not all Big Brother fans are stupid teenagers who are only concerned with what time TOWIE is on at.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really, really don't want this thread to turn into a row or have to be taken off or anything like that.

Do you think that some portions of the country still hold a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland based on the past?

If there is, it doesn't affect how people vote on Big Brother as they're completely separate issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, because the city is a part of the UK and it's official name is whatever the UK government decrees it to be, which is Londonderry.

People who live there, or in ROI, can call it what they like but they're still incorrect. It's no business of people in ROI what a place in the UK is called

Lol. Bore off.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are an absolute moron. NI is one of Western Europe's most deprived areas that lives off handouts from London. The economy is non-existent.

Ireland's HDI is the similar to Sweden's while NI's estimate is similar to that of Chile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think this thread should be locked. It's going nowhere that's good or beneficial to anyone.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelie_ wrote: »
    I really think this thread should be locked. It's going nowhere that's good or beneficial to anyone.

Agree, all it highlights is how fact-averse unionists are.
  • elizadooolittleelizadooolittle Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really, really don't want this thread to turn into a row or have to be taken off or anything like that.

Do you think that some portions of the country still hold a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland based on the past?

No, I don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    It isn't Derry it is LONDONDERRY. The catholics call it Derry it is in UK called LONDONDERRY

This is incorrect.

I live in County Londonderry and most people here actually call it Derry including Protestants. Its only when you get out to Ballymoney and outside the county that people call it Londonderry.

I know some do call it that but most actually don't.
    Forum Member
    When did Ashleigh say she was a Republican. You need to stop putting people in boxes

Exactly.

She said she was an Athiest anyway.
    Forum Member
    For a 1.2% divide? YEAH totally, a MASSIVE stigma ....

I think her doing all the crying in the diary room made people feel sympathetic.
    Forum Member

This is true but if you actually came here you'd see that its mostly people outside our county that call it that.
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there still a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland?

OK , do you think there was one, from whom? Do you think there should be one?

Point of your question was?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK , do you think there was one, from whom? Do you think there should be one?

Point of your question was?

Probably simply trying to find a reason why the 2 NI front runners didn't get enough votes to win BB.