Authors like John Connolly

sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
Forum Member
Just finished reading" A Song of Shadows" and it was brilliant as usual. I love the supernatural aspect of John Connolly's books. Does anyone know of similar authors?

Comments

• Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are similar-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._Paul_Wilson#Novels

Repairman Jack is a bit of a Parker & gets sucked into underworld adventures. If you like them, it kinda makes the most sense if you read the Adversery Cycle and Repairman novels in order.
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Just googled F Paul Wilson books and they sound right up my street. Many thanks was about to read the entire Charlie Parker series but will now give Repairman Jack a try instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, if you've not read all the Parker books, that may be worth doing. Earlier ones sometimes have less supernatural elements, but some very creepy characters. And a sense that things aren't quite.. right.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, meant to say re-read them from the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nps.. could use some more suggestions cos I've read all the ones I can find. So back to pondering who'd be good if they filmed the Connolly books. Thinking Sean Penn or Gerard Butler for Parker, Idris Elba for Louis and maybe John Leguizamo as Angel :)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    nps.. could use some more suggestions cos I've read all the ones I can find. So back to pondering who'd be good if they filmed the Connolly books. Thinking Sean Penn or Gerard Butler for Parker, Idris Elba for Louis and maybe John Leguizamo as Angel :)

I met John Connolly at a book signing and asked him about the chance of films, he wasn't keen at the time, the books are very close to his heart and he's a bit nervous of them being messed up - but Jamie Foxx as Louis and Steve Buscemi as Angel for me, although John Leguizamo is a very good call, the closest I can get for Charlie is Sam Shepard, but about 15/20 years ago.

Sorry, but I have to completely veto Gerard Butler as Parker :p

John Connolly was lovely by the way, very chatty with lovely twinkly eyes :)
    Forum Member
    After reading the last book i checked to see if there were any plans for a movie, I came a cross a thread that was discussing the same thing. I haven't given it enough thought yet but someone suggested Christopher Walken for Pudd which i would definitely go along with. Although too old now i was imaging someone like Tom Berenger for Parker. I'll have a think about it though an see who i can come up with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I have to completely veto Gerard Butler as Parker :p

Heh, watch Law Abiding Citizen. That's why I thought of Butler and discounted Foxx.. Foxx to me is too 'nice'. Colin Salmon could work, or this chap-

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3289903872/nm0996669?ref_=nm_phs_md_1

Saw him in Wanted and thought 'hmm, Louis?' and then in Smoking Aces :) I did also think about Buscemi for Angel, but I find him annoying. But then that's Angel I guess.. But figured Leguizamo would be better for good/bad Angel.

I picked Penn from watching Mystic River again, and thinking if Eastwood can nail Lehane, he should be able to do Connolly justice.

Not really given much thought to villains.. Willem Dafoe for the Collector?
    Forum Member
    I love Sean Penn but i think too old to play Parker. In Every Dead Thing Charlie Parker is only around 35 . Maybe some one like Edward Norton or Jake Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams for Rachel. Haven't figured out Angel or Louis yet but William H. Macy would make another good villain. I don't blame John Connolly for being nervous about making his books into movies. I thought Tom Cruise was brilliant in Born on the 4th of July but the fact that he plays Jack Reacher would actually put me off reading the books!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. We need a time machine? A 35-yr old Ed Harris could be good :)

I think Norton's a bit too much of a wimp, but Gyllenhaal could work. It's fun trying to figure out who could pull off the combination of good/evil needed for the main characters. Then ones that could be around long enough if it turns into a franchise and they film all the books. I'd love to see The Black Angel done well though.
    Forum Member
    Yeah probably right about Norton, just trying to think of good actors around that age group. John Leguizamo as angel would work for me and Djimon Hounsou for louis. Who else? Lol this is fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok soo..

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384152/?ref_=nv_sr_1

As Brightwell? He was Varys, now he's gone postal.. And stealing more from Game of Thrones, Charles Dance does villainy well, and possibly Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Parker?

So.. if we get casting sorted, then all we need is a large pile of cash, a screenplay and a director!

(and still trying to think of similar style books)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I'd go with Gyllenhall, but not for another 5 years or so, he's got the acting chops, but looks too young for me at the moment - still think Sam Shepard is my ideal Parker, if some one could hurry up and invent that pesky time machine :D. Knowing bloody Hollywood we'd probably get Channing Tatum, or similar :(. Sticking with Jamie Foxx for Louis, he's pretty much been in my head as Angel since I read the first book

I'd certainly go with Leguizamo for Angel and move Buscemi to Camboin maybe.

We should so get to cast this :D
    Forum Member
    Ok soo..

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384152/?ref_=nv_sr_1

As Brightwell? He was Varys, now he's gone postal.. And stealing more from Game of Thrones, Charles Dance does villainy well, and possibly Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Parker?

So.. if we get casting sorted, then all we need is a large pile of cash, a screenplay and a director!

(and still trying to think of similar style books)

Let's get this show on the road lol.

Michael Marshall's strawmen and The Intruders are well worth a read. More eerie than supernatural but still v. good
    Forum Member
    I'd go with Gyllenhall, but not for another 5 years or so, he's got the acting chops, but looks too young for me at the moment - still think Sam Shepard is my ideal Parker, if some one could hurry up and invent that pesky time machine :D. Knowing bloody Hollywood we'd probably get Channing Tatum, or similar :(. Sticking with Jamie Foxx for Louis, he's pretty much been in my head as Angel since I read the first book

I'd certainly go with Leguizamo for Angel and move Buscemi to Camboin maybe.

We should so get to cast this :D

Dear God this must never be allowed to happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear God this must never be allowed to happened.

But.. but.. it's Hollywood! So to get money, get FOTM actor attached. So Chris Hemsworth. Or maybe Tom Hardy.. who might work. Then because it's got a star, getting financing could get easier. Which is possibly what the author is afraid of.

So decided to read Every Dead Thing again. We'll need 2 Walters, one with 4 legs, the other with 2 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's get this show on the road lol.

Michael Marshall's strawmen and The Intruders are well worth a read. More eerie than supernatural but still v. good

ty.. and in return..

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67035.Relic?from_search=true&search_version=service

Preston & Child's Pendergast series. Often supernatural (not just Pendergast's powers). Not as good as Connolly, but fun in a turn off brain, enjoy the ride kind of way.
    Forum Member
    But.. but.. it's Hollywood! So to get money, get FOTM actor attached. So Chris Hemsworth. Or maybe Tom Hardy.. who might work. Then because it's got a star, getting financing could get easier. Which is possibly what the author is afraid of.

So decided to read Every Dead Thing again. We'll need 2 Walters, one with 4 legs, the other with 2 :)

I didn't read Every Dead Thing again i started with the Killing Kind and am now nearly finished the White Road so Dark Angel next.

ps Think i'd like Josh Brolin for Charlie Parker.
    Forum Member
    ty.. and in return..

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67035.Relic?from_search=true&search_version=service

Preston & Child's Pendergast series. Often supernatural (not just Pendergast's powers). Not as good as Connolly, but fun in a turn off brain, enjoy the ride kind of way.

Thank you i'll check them out although once i get through John Connelly's books again i going to start on the Repairman Jack series so plenty to get on with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh, up to Killing Kind again now. I still think Dark Angel is my favorite though :)

As for Every Dead Thing.. I'd forgotten that was effectively 2 stories, so would probably have to be 2 movies, one for the NY tale, then off to New Orleans. Trying to fit both into a single film would leave waaay too much out. Which I guess is something else the author may be concerned about.

Oh.. and who volunteers to be spider wrangler?