Is special needs offensive ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    One assumes she probably did use his name otherwise how would they know who she was talking about if she just said a special needs pupil , and if she was talking about the pupils special needs then what is the problem with that, better the pupil and their needs are discussed than pussy footing around how to describe them. It seems to me people look for offense in anything these days and whoever complained has too much time on the their hands.

The term appears to be correct according to the government

https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/overview

It's not about the term itself. This "touchy" parent has 4 years history of conflict with the head. Now the child has been a hell of a lot more exposed because of the parents ridiculous behaviour.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All about context IMO.

I don't care what people refer to me as, mental, special need, disabled whatever, so long as their intentions are genuine :)
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I agree. Was there a reason for her to mention his disability at all? Or was she trying to make herself or the school look good by using him as an example of what they do?

It was in a governors meeting where resources and strategies for the school are discussed. Its a bit difficult to discuss resources and teaching for special needs students, along with the specific funding for those pupils without mentioning that it is for the purposes of special needs education. I doubt its about anyone looking good or using disability, its day to day business discussions at school.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    The "in word" for pupils who used to be known as School Action or School Action + is SEN Support where SEN stands for Special Education Needs and the department we contact in the Local Authority is the SEN department so it's utterly bizarre that a police investigation would take place because of that phrase being used. The parents should be prosecuted for wasting police time.

Well yes i was thinking this, i used to work for the DFE and we used to phone up schools to establish how many pupils were there and had to also categorise how many SEN pupils there were.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is special needs offensive ? - only to derbrains
    :kitty:
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Son has ASD. To be honest it would or bother me if he was described as such.
    Though the School has never said it to me IIRC
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    It was in a governors meeting where resources and strategies for the school are discussed. Its a bit difficult to discuss resources and teaching for special needs students, along with the specific funding for those pupils without mentioning that it is for the purposes of special needs education. I doubt its about anyone looking good or using disability, its day to day business discussions at school.

Where the pupil wouldn't have heard it anyhow. That was the basis for the complaint, he would find it offensive.
    The parent-governor complained that the “highly intelligent” student, who falls under the autistic spectrum, would be offended by the description

This comment from this link sums up my feelings and I feel very sorry for this child with a parent holding such views about SEN children.

http://m.theargus.co.uk/news/12943812.Headteacher_put_through_six_months_of_hell_for_saying_pupil_had__special_needs_/

Sounds like the parent governor cannot accept that their young person has special needs. Having special needs is nothing to be ashamed of and when the young person is in the workplace, even if they are highly intelligent, they will have to declare special needs to ensure they get support to do their job....which may be a very good job if they get the relevant support. Stop mollycoddling the poor kid. They will thrive if you stop getting bogged down in nonsense.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THe term "special" is now being used as an insult sadly. People used to say things like spaz and mong and retard all of which are terrible and very offensive so they've fallen from use. people now think it's clever to describe certain people as "special" which obviously came from the term "special needs."
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    THe term "special" is now being used as an insult sadly. People used to say things like spaz and mong and retard all of which are terrible and very offensive so they've fallen from use. people now think it's clever to describe certain people as "special" which obviously came from the term "special needs."

The word means nothing, and handicapped people being made fun of will never change.

Much like gay people, the more it is thrown in peoples' faces the more it will be thrown back.

Much better to get on and enjoy life than go to the police/Daily Mail, in my opinion.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comments on the Argus article suggest that there is much more to this than a dedicated headteacher and a vexatious parent governor. The article is definitely giving a one-sided account, and the Head is clearly not such a wondrous leader as it says. For one thing, it praises the work she has done at the school, but in fact its Ofsted rating went down when she had been there for three years. She also seems to have a history of refusing to deal with complaints herself and referring parents to the complaints procedure. And her dealings with other parents who have had children with disabilities there in the past have been questionable.

This is raised in a number of different contributors to the comments section, and whilst they might also be considered to be biased, they do suggest a very different take on the story.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    There is so much serious stuff needs sorting out, yet so much time is wasted on stuff like this.

Yes, like stopping me becoming a raspberry ripple without duodopa.

Ponder this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6isXNVdguI8
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my son most definitely has special needs.

Yes, he's autistic.

You're going to have an awful lot of problems trying to bring up an autistic child if you get offended by that. Only last week I was told (by a total stranger) that autism doesn't really exist and it's just an excuse for bad parenting. Nice.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The term has altered over the years. A friend's kid was described by his dad and school as having special needs. It was because he was very bright and needed extra coaching beyond what he'd receive in some of the regular classes. He's in his early 20s now.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    The term has altered over the years. A friend's kid was described by his dad and school as having special needs. It was because he was very bright and needed extra coaching beyond what he'd receive in some of the regular classes. He's in his early 20s now.

Ive never heard gifted and talented children described as special needs, going back 20 years or more