Corrie: Ken Barlow's looking well for 83 - he could be still there when he's 100

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
That would mean William Roache would have dedicated 72 years to one TV role.

Amazing.:o

Comments

• Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know he was 83. I don't know why I thought he was born in 1938.

I'm not sure about 100 years, I think he will still be here for the 60th in 5 years time though.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Not that it has any bearing but wonder what age his parents lived to. Joe Mascolo (Stefano in Days of Our Lives) is around 88/9, he looks great for his age too and bith his parent lived past 100.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    It'll be the end of an era when Bill leaves Corrie. Although I'd be sad to see him go, I still think it would have been fitting for him to have left with Deirdre - maybe they'd have decided to move out to the country or France or whatever - then Deirdre wouldn't have had to die :( It would also have made sense in real life, if Bill felt he didn't want to go on without Anne.

Hope they manage to make good use of Ken in his widower years.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    It'll be the end of an era when Bill leaves Corrie. Although I'd be sad to see him go, I still think it would have been fitting for him to have left with Deirdre - maybe they'd have decided to move out to the country or France or whatever - then Deirdre wouldn't have had to die :( It would also have made sense in real life, if Bill felt he didn't want to go on without Anne.

Thing is though Ken was a character long before Deirdre & they have spent long years apart on the show so they weren't quite the same as say a Jack & Vera or Stan & Hilda!!
  • JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they focus the 60th anniversary on him leaving the show, perfect opportunity although that depends of course on what Bill wants as the writers won't dare to force him to leave the show. We've had a lot of actors dying recently unfortunately leaving us with having a lot of off-screen deaths, I think Ken deserves a more fitting exit instead with loads of people visiting him on his deathbed instead of just turning up to his funeral imo.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken Barlow will be there until Bill Roache dies..

Same with Emily Bishop...
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »

Yes, there is a lot of potential for storylines there. I would like to see him rid of Tracy though; surely she has to be found out soon.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says a lot how about poor of an actor he is if he does end up dedicating his whole life to one role. His son has had better success than him. That's likely why Roache would never dare leave, and why he is never really complimented for his acting anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says a lot how about poor of an actor he is if he does end up dedicating his whole life to one role. His son has had better success than him. That's likely why Roache would never dare leave, and why he is never really complimented for his acting anyway.
    It's just a job and has given him a very good living - better than a lot of actors.
    If he was so bad why would they keep him on so long, paying him the highest rates because of his length of service?
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He does look very well, he has great hair
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    William Roache does look fantastic for his age, but 17 years is a hell of a long time especially for someone so old so i still think him being alive or still being in Coronation Street at 100 years of age is asking a lot although not impossible.
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    If he was so bad why would they keep him on so long, paying him the highest rates because of his length of service?

Seems like you answered your own question.

The quicker he leaves the better!
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member

This old chestnut has cropped up so many times in the last few weeks ( the acting debate, not Bill Roache ;) )!!

I still say that if you enjoy the role you're playing & your character is getting great storylines then why should you feel pressured into leaving to 'better yourself'!! Corrie is still the most watched show in Britain & is loved by millions through good times and bad & has a great fan base!! Ken has become a much loved character so surely if you love what you're doing & thousands of others love you for it, why would you want to leave ??