Cilla Black has died

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting comments by Jimmy Tarbuck this morning. Pretty fawning as you'd expect but did admit in later years the scouse accent was exaggerated and said how much she "Enjoyed" the trappings of wealth and fame, which I think is as close as anyone's come to acknowledging her diva like reputation.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I think Biggins is very much a part of their world. It's weird in a way. Celebrities in this country. It's kinda like a hidden society. You have all these well known faces, millionaires, most living in London and they all keep in contact but throughout the week they must face the public. It's a like a double life and when you hear a Biggins or Lionel Blair talk it makes you wonder what that life is like. They talk like Cilla was something to everyone but really unless you're a millionaire or celebrity, you would never have really known her or shared a table with her or had any real time with her. Two different societies somehow existing with each other.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I'd love to be a millionaire and have a nice life but don't insult me and tell me Cilla Black or any celebrity was like my Aunt or best friend. We may breathe the same air but we don't live in the same bubble.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Interesting comments by Jimmy Tarbuck this morning. Pretty fawning as you'd expect but did admit in later years the scouse accent was exaggerated and said how much she "Enjoyed" the trappings of wealth and fame, which I think is as close as anyone's come to acknowledging her diva like reputation.

I doubt she was much different to stars of her era. The problem that ballooned in recent years via social media is that she wasn't really the character folks were fed via television screens. It's their working class heroine wasn't really. Hardly shock horror but the same folks continue to believe what's fed to them. So many old time stars dubious lives revealed of late but folks lap up XF et al.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    There will be a lot of people in the aviation industry not upset by this. She had a reputation as being a mega bitch to staff. My cousin is a flight attendant and they would try to get out of doung First Class service when she was flying. She would regularly make staff cry. You were never allowed to look her in the eye, could only address her through her PA and were to only take ihstruction and never answer.

There are countless threads on her antics on various aviation forums.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did everyone hate her?

Wait i dont get it? What did she do?

No idea, i dont know of one person who didnt like her, perhaps its only reserved for trolls on forums and twitter who knows.

My friend Simon met her years ago and thought she was lovely very kind lady.

I have never read a bad thing about her, and if i did i would simply ignore it, unless its founded. Her sons adored her and so did her hubby.

I thought she was fab, and I have always liked her. I dont see why people have to be vile about her. If they dont like her then dont say anything.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    There will be a lot of people in the aviation industry not upset by this. She had a reputation as being a mega bitch to staff. My cousin is a flight attendant and they would try to get out of doung First Class service when she was flying. She would regularly make staff cry. You were never allowed to look her in the eye, could only address her through her PA and were to only take ihstruction and never answer.

There are countless threads on her antics on various aviation forums.

She wasn't very popular in Denham (where she lived) either. Local opinion is that she had forgotten her humble beginnings, was rude to the local traders and rarely donated to local funds or charity
  • hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In honour of Cilla's death I propose a minute's insincerity in a plastic Scouse accent.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Venetian wrote: »
    They cannot be!! They managed to get past the truly sad deaths of John Lennon and George Harrison, don't think Liverpool will be closing down soon.

Yeah, but never let Liverpool miss an opportunity to be mawkish and over-sentimental.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CB fronted an advertising campaign for my local electricity company in the early 1990s and I remember feeling resentful that I was putting money in her pocket when I paid my bill.>:(:(
    It still grates even now.^_^
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing her reputation, I can't help but feel hollow when I read tributes from her showbiz pals. The clichéd phrases like ''a national treasure'', ''an icon'', and ''incredibly gifted'' have been rolled out.

The vast amount of stories about her personality behind the scenes and in her day-to-day interactions with the public has left me feeling a lack of warmth to her passing. I'm not rubbing my hands together with glee by any account, just feeling very indifferent.

I think you've probably summed up how I feel as well. There is saying that you can tell a lot about people from how they treat "the help", and I don't think I've ever comes across a story from a member of the public that portrays Cilla in a positive light. Interestingly my mum never liked here and always maintained the Scouse accent was exaggerated and put on, this was back in Cilla's light entertainment hay day and ways before we all had access to the negative stories on the Internet.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    hackjo wrote: »
    In honour of Cilla's death I propose a minute's insincerity in a plastic Scouse accent.

:D:D:D
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Thur thur chuck, it's been a very sad day lurv.

*frowns*

A 'ave ta say. Am very dissapointed.

*frowns and looks to the sky*
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I think Biggins is very much a part of their world. It's weird in a way. Celebrities in this country. It's kinda like a hidden society. You have all these well known faces, millionaires, most living in London and they all keep in contact but throughout the week they must face the public. It's a like a double life and when you hear a Biggins or Lionel Blair talk it makes you wonder what that life is like. They talk like Cilla was something to everyone but really unless you're a millionaire or celebrity, you would never have really known her or shared a table with her or had any real time with her. Two different societies somehow existing with each other.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I'd love to be a millionaire and have a nice life but don't insult me and tell me Cilla Black or any celebrity was like my Aunt or best friend. We may breathe the same air but we don't live in the same bubble.

I know exactly what you mean. There seems to be a certain celebrity set of the very kind you mention where they're almost like a type of celebrity Royal family.
    They go on TV and everyone on the show fawns over them and act like sycophants, telling them and the audience how down to earth and 'normal' they are, which sort of makes you feel that if we need to be told that's what they're like then they probably aren't.
  • Kwazykat61Kwazykat61 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Her son was fined a poultry sum for killing a young man on a motorcycle who's girlfriend was pregnant. No doubt mummy's influence and money saw to such a light sentence/punishment. No tears will be shed for her here>:(
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    They think Cilla died after injuring herself in a fall from losing her balance due to the heat. Cilla's son had to break down her bedroom door after she failed to wake up from having a lie down.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/cilla-black-found-dead-son-6184360
    “The possibility she fell because she was confronted on the terrace by a would-be burglar has also been looked at and not yet excluded although it is not being seen as a probable scenario.”

I imagine suddenly being confronted by Cilla in a bikini would be more hazardous for the burglar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Yeah, but never let Liverpool miss an opportunity to be mawkish and over-sentimental.

Yikes, you make a fair point. At some point over the next few days I have a feeling that we'll be treated to another emotional crowd rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' with people overcome with mawkish sentimentalism.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    How many were sold to get it to number 102?

And 102? Not, like, 2?

Anyone Who had a Heart went into the top 40 after the ITV TV series
    I know we're supposed to be nice when somebody has died but saying she was a good singer is taking things a step too far.

Obviously people of that day thought she was , she had two number ones and 20 consecutive top 40 records, and those were the days when you had to sell a lot more than you do now to get them.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »

:D Which reminds me... I wonder where the funeral will be? There must be some people in Liverpool who still liked her (and enjoy a big do) although she hadn't lived there for years.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I don't think she was all that popular in Liverpool anyway.
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Obviously people of that day thought she was , she has two number ones and 20 consecutive top 40 records, and those were the days when you had to sell a lot more than you do now to get them.

Joe Dolce had a No.1 with Shaddap Your Face but that doesn't mean he or it was any good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Anyone Who had a Heart went into the top 40 after the ITV TV series

Obviously people of that day thought she was , she has two number ones and 20 consecutive top 40 records, and those were the days when you had to sell a lot more than you do now to get them.

Back in the day a new record going into the top 40 would make it a smash hit in the hit parade.
    Things are seen a bit differently nowadays.
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly R.I.P. Cilla

but.... Do we really need round the clock coverage of her death on tv ? BBC ITV SKY ?

Yeah she has died, sad it is to friends and family but youd think she was the Queen.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    careful what u say on here we're not supposed to mock the deceased apparently
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kwazykat61 wrote: »
    Her son was fined a poultry sum for killing a young man on a motorcycle who's girlfriend was pregnant. No doubt mummy's influence and money saw to such a light sentence/punishment. No tears will be shed for her here>:(

It's chicken feed to that sort.>:(:(
    Forum Member
    Firstly R.I.P. Cilla

but.... Do we really need round the clock coverage of her death on tv ? BBC ITV SKY ?

Yeah she has died, sad it is to friends and family but youd think she was the Queen.

She was the Queen of entertainment, a National Treasure.