Speculative CVs...

HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just been on the AstraZeneca website looking for their address to post a CV and cover letter to in the hope they would get back to me with any suitable vacancy.

Yet on the same webpage as the address, they state they do not accept speculative CVs and will only accept applications to live vacancies.

In my book this is hardly progress. Do any companies these days accept speculative CVs?

This is manily scientific jobs BTW.

Comments

• mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most companies I've worked for don't, no. Some may do but accepting CVs involves quite a lot of admin that has to follow certain procedures for data safety and such like. So I think the majority of companies would not want CVs just turning up if there is no job available.
  • MonkeylalalaMonkeylalala Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most places don't accept them. Don't know if you already have but try http://www.ckscience.co.uk

They are a very good nationwide scientific recruitment co.

Also try SRG, those are the two main scientific recruitment agencies and they have jobs with Boots, Astra Zenica, Wellcome etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but most companies will not accept speculative CVs due to data protection, as we need to record that we hold the information etc etc. Even if they were to hold your CV on file they are duty bound to tell you the period for which it will be held and what will be done with it while it is held, or when the period is over....

For instance should they respond they should say something like......

We have reviewed your cv and will hold your information in our system for six months. Should a suitable vacancy become available your cv may be provided to the relevant department for consideration. If no such vacancy arises within six months then your cv shall be destroyed in accordance with our Data Protection policy.

Most don't they don't want to hold this information and have to report and maintain it, therefore most companies will bin speculative CVs. At least AstraZeneca are being upfront about not accepting them.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Eli Lilly accept speculative applications.

Found that on this page.
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    AZ have a prederred supplier agreement for temp and perm roles- I think it might be Hayes for AZ.

I worked for SRG for 12 months as a recruiter. They are probably one of the biggest Science recruiters and have work for Lily, Novartis, GSK etc. Often a temp contract will go perm as well if you are a recent grad.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why you think this is "hardly progress". It's their choice.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh now there's a few names I recognise.. AstraZeneca and Eli Lily make some of my medications :D