Brazil Formula 1 on BBC1 HD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
Forum Member
The upscaling on the F1 today was very good. I noticed a big difference in picture quality on today's race, particularly the live reporting by David Coultard. Eddie Jorden and Jake Humphrey,

Comments

• Monster900Monster900 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Yes, I agree.

Shame the race was a little dull.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Yes, I was disappointed, I couldn't believe how easily Alonso passed Hamilton. Good race by Button though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I noticed it too but the ball and chain didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the picture was noticeably sharper than that of the SD feed, I didn't think it was that brilliant though.
    It's strange that ITV, ch4 and Five's upscaled content can often look fairly close to HD but I've not yet seen any upscaled content on BBC1 HD that has looked as good.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    couldnt agree more C4 C5 and ITV all upscale better than BBC. But thats what happens when the BBC doesnt listen to its viewers and feedback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linea wrote: »
    I thought the picture was noticeably sharper than that of the SD feed, I didn't think it was that brilliant though.
    It's strange that ITV, ch4 and Five's upscaled content can often look fairly close to HD but I've not yet seen any upscaled content on BBC1 HD that has looked as good.

Agree with all of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    I noticed a difference between the BBC 1 HD feed and the feed when you press the red button for the radio 5 live commentary, it wasn't a huge difference, but enough to force me to put up with the clueless leggard chap that provides the commentary for BBC 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an improvement but it was hardly anything to write home about. Jake constantly refereing to it started to nark me as well. Anyone who saw the MotoGP last week will have seen the real potential gain to motorsport of HD. The slow-mo replays looked absolutely stunning. Can't wait for the poisoned little dwarf to pull his finger out a fork out for upgraded equipment for F1!!
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffler wrote: »
    Can't wait for the poisoned little dwarf to pull his finger out a fork out for upgraded equipment for F1!!

When it goes HD I'm sure Bernie will find a way of funding it out of somebody else's pocket.

Wasn't there talk of it being HD in 2011?
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    When it goes HD I'm sure Bernie will find a way of funding it out of somebody else's pocket.

It is supposed to be happening- its been confirmed by Jonathan Ledgard on twitter, and on the F1 coverage thread someone posted a report from Brazil about HD coverage starting. So it appears to have been confirmed, which is excellent news- upscaled coverage was good, but the real thing will be miles better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »

Bernie Ecclestone confirmed it in a BBC interview with Eddie Jordan in September that the 2011 season coverage will be in HD.
    I think for once the TV networks and fans managed to back Bernie into a corner and force his hand, and considering Delta 3 made $278m in 2009 from TV coverage fees alone the additional cost of producing HD coverage is absolutely negligible.
  • johnashjohnash Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    linea wrote: »

Well, given the BBC's performance on HD (they are only broadcasting at 1420x1080 instead of full HD 1920x1080 and are using a lower bit rate than other broadcasters) we will not really be getting the full benefit of Bernie's outlay.

Perhaps we could hope for F1 to reappear on Eurosport whose HD picture on Sky is superb! And they could have a non-Legard commentator, too! But we'd have to put up with ads. Is life never perfect? (I can answer my own question there, thanks!).

So it's the BBC's scrimping on picture quality that leads to the upscaled F1 pictures not being not that much better than SD. As others have said, upscaling on the other main channels can look as good as the BBCs' HD-sourced transmissions.

My beautiful Panasonic HD TV needs a full HD picture to be happy and to justify its cost:. C'mon BBC. You used to be the technological leaders.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabriel_R wrote: »
    Yes, I was disappointed, I couldn't believe how easily Alonso passed Hamilton. Good race by Button though.

Hamilton went wide and Alonso went past.
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnash wrote: »
    So it's the BBC's scrimping on picture quality that leads to the upscaled F1 pictures not being not that much better than SD.

Er, I thought that the upscaled F1 looked much better than the normal BBC1 offering.

TBH - given that it starts out as SD, I couldn't really imagine it looking much better than it did :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Er, I thought that the upscaled F1 looked much better than the normal BBC1 offering.

TBH - given that it starts out as SD, I couldn't really imagine it looking much better than it did :eek:
    Agreed - nothing wrong with it at all in my opinion.
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryhhh wrote: »
    I noticed a difference between the BBC 1 HD feed and the feed when you press the red button for the radio 5 live commentary, it wasn't a huge difference, but enough to force me to put up with the clueless leggard chap that provides the commentary for BBC 1.

Where was the radio 5 live commentary option this time; I had a F1 multiscreen option on the red button (via channel 101) but only had the driver tracker, on-board and main channel. Wanted to listen to crofty instead of useless leggard!
  • AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I recorded the race on SD BBC One as I was running out of space on the hard drive, but I did flick back between SD and HD BBC 1 during qualifying.

There is a noticable improvement, but it is mostly the lack of compression artifacts on the HD channel that is behind that as far as I can see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    Where was the radio 5 live commentary option this time; I had a F1 multiscreen option on the red button (via channel 101) but only had the driver tracker, on-board and main channel. Wanted to listen to crofty instead of useless leggard!

I got it via the red button just as the warm up lap started, and reverted back before the race started.

To be honest though, I was watching via BBC's Freesat, I don't know if you get a different 'red button' on Sky.

Bring back James Allen. He was far better than Leghorn ever will be. :)
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alberon wrote: »
    There is a noticable improvement, but it is mostly the lack of compression artifacts on the HD channel that is behind that as far as I can see.

Oh agreed - completely.

TBH - if they upped the bandwidth enough there is no reason why SD via MPEG2 couldn't look almost as good. All we are getting with upscaled SD on an HD channel is "SD like it always should have been".

Anyone remember how good BSB looked using SD via DMAC ? Twenty years ago !
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryhhh wrote: »
    Bring back James Allen.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember how good BSB looked using SD via DMAC ?

It was the poor quality of Sky analogue that put me off for another 10 years!

DMAC was still only an analogue system although something of a stepping stone towards DVB. It certainly looked better on our old CRTs than the analogue PAL Sky churned out at the time, though not sure it would look that great on our big screens today :D.

And you can still see houses with those squarials on the side :D.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    Where was the radio 5 live commentary option this time
    Here it was being chase-played by a few seconds (to synch it up) on my Freeview PVR while I watched the race on BBC1 HD on my Freesat box. Simples!
  • johnashjohnash Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Having criticised the BBC for its HD picture quality, I thought the "BBC only" material (ie not the general FOM feed), of Jake and crew looked pretty good today from Abu Dhabi. Is there any chance this could actually be HD sourced?
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnash wrote: »
    Having criticised the BBC for its HD picture quality, I thought the "BBC only" material (ie not the general FOM feed), of Jake and crew looked pretty good today from Abu Dhabi. Is there any chance this could actually be HD sourced?
    Nope- it'll be an SD production. According to posts elsewhere the HD kit for use next season was being trialled at the Moto GP last weekend. That looked very good.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Hopefully not the same actual equipment? What happens when MotoGP and F1 are on the same weekend?