Options

DOCTOR WHO - Series 5 was awful.

Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I didn't like series 5 that much orignally but re-watching series 1-4 of the 2005 onwards i relised that series 5 was just awful compared. If series 6 is as bad as series 5, they should just they it to rest for a few decades or get the old writers back.

Comments

• Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your opinion of course.

I felt it was consistently superior to anything that has come before.

Luckily, commissioning decisions aren't made on the back of a few internet critics. ;)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Worst series ever. It was Coupling.
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree. I found it, at times unwatchable and most of the time awful. The first 4 series were brilliant. Such a shame as I loved all of Moffat's stories prior to S5.

I hope S6 can improve.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Whilst Im not the biggest fan of series 5 I wouldn't say it was awful.

I thought the overall style of direction took a turn for the better, especially in the finale. Matt Smith was superb for his first outing. The Weeping Angles two parter, Vincent and the finale were excellent IMO.

Amy Pond telling people to 'shut up' did become tiresome.

There were many many things I didn't like but that's been said in a previous thread at the time.

It is the first new who series that I haven't purchased the box set.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the group that thinks Series 5 was the best since Series 1, due to its renewed efforts to be interesting. It was no less guilty of routine plotting than previous years, but at least they managed to throw a few surprises in there and there weren't any Sontaran-style episodes where even the cast just look like they're phoning it in.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    It was most certainly NOT awful!

Even bad Doctor who is better than most of the other dross on TV*

It was inevitable that with such a big shake up in Who land (Production and actor wise) that things would take a while to find their feet, and I feel that was certainly the case with series 5.

There were undoubtedly some outstanding episodes (Eleventh Hour seemed to be so good it was almost as if it had 10x the amount of attention of any of the other episodes in the first half of the series, leading to a few clunkers coming right after, especially the beast below) where others didn't work.

Of course you could say the same for any series but I felt the hit/miss ratio was slightly more towards miss than in series previous, only slightly, mind ;)

I didn't like The Beast Below, the James Corden episode felt like a retread of so many other things, not just previous Who eps (Unrequited love preventing a couple from achieving anything, let alone each other...helloooooo? Been there, done that!) and the Silurian two parter was a massive let down for me, but give the production team time and now they've found their feet I'm sure this is a momentary blip :)

And despite forum protestations it actually felt like series 5 was a mere polish up of what had gone before rather than a complete reinventing of the wheel.
    Doctor Who was continued in the honour of what had gone before, yes we had a new Doctor, Tardis, Companion, Screwdriver, title sequence, writers, Daleks (*spit*) etc but it has the same morals, heart fun and adventure it always has had since the reboot, nothing much has changed in that regard.

At the very least I'm glad we're at this stage and calling it series 5 and all that series 1 again nonsense has been done with! :D

*DW Forum cliche 47013572435! ;)
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't awful, just different. Besides, we've clearly only had half the story at this point, so why complain.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see where is going already (just because I'm awesome, not a time traveller)- so just a friendly reminder for the future to all respect eachothers opinions without making your own *fact*

Then we will all be able to get along spiffingly. :D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    IMO it was the worst series since DW came back, I hope it improves next year, the only way is up I feel.
    There is not one episode I have the urge to watch again, which I find sad :( I often watch series 1-4 and the specials, and I love nearly all of them ( apart from L&M of course ;))
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    series 5 was the best series since 2005 for me. And although some people took strongly against it, I think you will find the vast majority thought it was rather good as well.

since the series also finished many many months ago and we are closer to the new series than the last one, i am slightly baffled as to why the OP after all this time suddenly felt the need to start this thread, as it hardly is constructive and is hardly going to cover any issues that have not been covered to death in past months,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone I have talked to about it agrees with me, it was the worst of the new series, and the kids seem to be going off it too, there arent so many toys in the stores I see either.None of them seem to want to emulate 11 as they did with dear old 10

Lets all keep our fingers crossed for better things in 2011.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Everyone I have talked to about it agrees with me

anecdotal evidence is the least helpful evidence in the world, means nothing at all I mean, everyone I know that watches the show agrees with me that series 5 was great, which only underlines what i said - that you can't base anything on what people you know alone think.

Point here is often people we like have similar tastes to us, and people less fussed about the show often will say what you want them to. Thats why anecdotal evidence is so unreliable.

Your better off looking at the AI's which are based on a representative sample and put series 5 on a par with the past couple of series and ahead of the first two by a long way, or the DWM poll, which probably represents fandom quite well, which put the series average scores from the DWM poll fractionally behind series 4, on a par with series 3 and again well clear of the other two series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well there is not accounting for taste ;)

I go by what I see and hear around me, and my kids' friends who now have no interest in it, and the people I talk to who really disliked the series

It may have been popular with some die hard fans, but the 'man' in the street seems to think otherwise.and more importantly, so do the kids( they are the future die hard fans of course.

I am looking forward to the xmas day ep, ( not as much as last year of course, we were all so sequeeeeeeish in this household last year about it) to see if it can escape the last series and move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It may have been popular with some die hard fans, but the 'man' in the street seems to think otherwise.and more importantly, so do the kids( they are the future die hard fans of course.

no, your totally ignoring my point - the man in the street/kids don't seem to think otherwise, that is the point about the AI - totally disproves the notion, since the AI represents these people. They rated the series as highly as ever, regardless of what some people you know have said.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    In your opinion of course.

I felt it was consistently superior to anything that has come before.
    I agree. Basically, itr was proper Doctor Who again.
    Worst series ever. It was Coupling.
    I would have said any comparison to Coupling was a very positive comment...
    I totally agree. I found it, at times unwatchable and most of the time awful. The first 4 series were brilliant. Such a shame as I loved all of Moffat's stories prior to S5.

I hope S6 can improve.
    They weren't 'the first four series', just the last four series. Moffat has returned Doctor Who to something approaching its old self prior to the 2005 relaunch, and I welcome it.
    Well there is not accounting for taste ;)

I go by what I see and hear around me, and my kids' friends who now have no interest in it, and the people I talk to who really disliked the series

If the man in the street thinks otherwise, why are the AI's still so high?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Series 5 was fantastic, I dunno what the problem is with folks. Sure I've spoken to those who didn't like it, but then I've spoken to people who loved it. It was the same when Tennant was in the role.

FWIW I'm not a die hard fan, and neither is my youngest, but we are very excited about the Christmas day episode just the same as we have been for years. Smith can do no wrong!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why they are high, perhaps people were watching in the hope that it would improve, die hard fans watching simply because it s DW?? I know I did.

All I know is the kids arent so hot on it now, they toys are not on the shelves as they used to be, they arent making so many different toys, and that is the start of a problem for modern DW.

For the first time my son has only asked for 1 DW toy, the console, and he was the most massive fan ever, now he is a little'meh' about it. The lack of toys is really not helping with its popularity with the kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Series 5 was fantastic, I dunno what the problem is with folks. Sure I've spoken to those who didn't like it, but then I've spoken to people who loved it. It was the same when Tennant was in the role.

this is a good point, what i have noted is that there seems to be this air about some of those that criticise the series that suggests prior to this year we were all so united in our love of the show that we sat around the campfire singing "Kum Ba Yah" every night, when the reality is there were people that disliked past series quite strongly as well, this is not a new thing at all. It's just that for many of those who criticise the series it is the first time they have found themselves in that postion since the show returned

I myself struggled a good deal with series 2, difference is i didn't spend months and months and months after harping on about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why they are high, perhaps people were watching in the hope that it would improve, die hard fans watching simply because it s DW?? I know I did.

Erm no, that makes no sense, the AI represents how much someone is enjoying a show, if they were sticking with it and not enjoying it then they would have been lower. Poor logic.

As for merchandise, there is more than ever out there, so no idea what you are on about. This year the merchandising has expanded to more and more areas than ever before.
  • Options
    StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't a fan of the last series either. While I think in the end Matt Smith turned out okay (but still he's quite low down on my list of Doctors) the companion Amy Pond was a complete loss. A completely two dimensional character that seemed to be there to be just something for the Doctor to save every week or sprout some witty line every episode. I did not care for her one bit. With all the misgivings I had about the RTD era at least he made me care about the companion, unlike with most (but not all) classic series companions.

Overall the show seems to have been retooled to a degree. Now it seems to be aimed more at the CBBC/Sarah Jane audience. Things such as redesigning the Daleks to be more toyetic and the lower quality of the scripts seem to bear this out. Also the writers seem to be struggling for ideas for episodes at this point. While some episodes such as The Eleventh Hour were quite good, other such as Victory of the Daleks and Vincent and the Doctor (heh, that kinda rhymes) were trash of the lowest order and just made me want to gouge my eyes out.

If they want this show to still be on the air in 2013 they better get their act together. My only fear now is that the BBC will drag out the show and keep it on life support long after it should have ended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in terms of noting how this series was viewed on DS overall:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1285193

Favorite series:

series 5 - 50.00%
    series 4 - 26.81%
    series 1 - 8.70%
    series 3 - 7.97%
    series 2 - 6.52%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you've gone from saying that no-one was watching it to admitting that people were watching it but only because (in your opinion) they hoped it might improve? Well, I guess it's progress of a sort...
    All I know is the kids arent so hot on it now, they toys are not on the shelves as they used to be, they arent making so many different toys, and that is the start of a problem for modern DW.

For the first time my son has only asked for 1 DW toy, the console, and he was the most massive fan ever, now he is a little'meh' about it. The lack of toys is really not helping with its popularity with the kids.
    There are plenty of new toys-more than there have been since the 2008 series, in fact.
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Erm no, that makes no sense, the AI represents how much someone is enjoying a show, if they were sticking with it and not enjoying it then they would have been lower. Poor logic.

As for merchandise, there is more than ever out there, so no idea what you are on about. This year the merchandising has expanded to more and more areas than ever before.

Yes, but let's not spoil a good rant with facts, eh?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StalwartUK wrote: »
    While some episodes such as The Eleventh Hour were quite good, other such as Victory of the Daleks and Vincent and the Doctor (heh, that kinda rhymes) were trash of the lowest order and just made me want to gouge my eyes out.

And yet, curiously, Vincent & the Doctor was one of the most popular episodes of the series with the audience overall...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet, curiously, Vincent & the Doctor was one of the most popular episodes of the series with the audience overall...

...and indeed with the critics. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    ...and indeed with the critics. :)

..... and with me. :)