What happened to the orange tmobile 3G share?

Comments

• Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I'm being told now is that when T-Mobile and Orange customers start seeing EE signal on their handsets, they should have uncapped (but not 4G) speeds - this is especially good news for those of us on T-Mobile, if it turns out to be correct.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    What I'm being told now is that when T-Mobile and Orange customers start seeing EE signal on their handsets, they should have uncapped (but not 4G) speeds - this is especially good news for those of us on T-Mobile, if it turns out to be correct.

Just gutted they got rid of tethering from the full monty.
    Looking forward to see the plans for EE 4G now though. Going to be interesting to see what they do with data (in terms of caps and such).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I don’t understand that what happened to t-mobile 3G share? It’s not working since yesterday I have tried at my own but no success. If anyone will suggest me that would be a great help. Thanks in advance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your phone say EE? if so then thats normal
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are phone screens now displaying EE?

anyone got a screen shot
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Not here in South Wales, although I haven't been down to Cardiff (where the 4G network has been switched on, although I'm not sure if that would mean the rest of the network has been reconfigured in Cardiff as a result).

Still displays 'Orange' / 'Orange...' (when I'm on T-M) on my iPhone.

I also wish the iPhone would display 'H' / 'H+' when I'm using those relevant bits of the network, instead of just '3G'.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to just having EE displayed. The problem with having Orange.....T-Mobile or vice versa displayed is that when you have WiFi connected the WiFi indicator obscures the o/E/3G indicator. Not sure why you would worry since you're on WiFi but it matters to an anorak like me :)
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I also wish the iPhone would display 'H' / 'H+' when I'm using those relevant bits of the network, instead of just '3G'.

I think Apple have done this for a good reason. While all of us on here know what H or H+ means, the general public have a hard time even knowing what 3G means. I haven't yet come across even one of my customers who knows what ANY of the symbols means! And at the end of the day 3G now means at least HSDPA 3.6 and more likely 7.2 so does it really matter?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I think Apple have done this for a good reason. While all of us on here know what H or H+ means, the general public have a hard time even knowing what 3G means. I haven't yet come across even one of my customers who knows what ANY of the symbols means! And at the end of the day 3G now means at least HSDPA 3.6 and more likely 7.2 so does it really matter?

Surely more likely 14.4 or 21?! if you're on a more modern network.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Surely more likely 14.4 or 21?! if you're on a more modern network.

Yeah, you're probably right. 3.6 was probably a bit low. What on earth do you mean, a more modern network? I'm on EE (Orange). A thoroughly modern network. Oh, apart from all those T-Mobile cells still running GPRS :D
    Ok, well it will be this time next year.......
    Oh hell..... It'll be better than O2. I can say that with some conviction Hahahahaha!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, you're probably right. 3.6 was probably a bit low. What on earth do you mean, a more modern network? I'm on EE (Orange). A thoroughly modern network. Oh, apart from all those T-Mobile cells still running GPRS :D
    Ok, well it will be this time next year.......
    Oh hell..... It'll be better than O2. I can say that with some conviction Hahahahaha!

Well MBNL are about to start DC HSDPA I think which is up to 42Mbps max theoretical 3G if I'm right? Currently they support HSPA+ 21 across the vast majority of the 3G network.

Some other networks are still only largely capable of the max theoretical speeds you mentioned before though.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My phone flicks between 3G and H at times, I wonder if it's a bit like WiFi where as the signal gets worse it switches to a lower transmission mode.

As for knowing what the symbols mean, quite a lot of our staff know that G means "give up" but the rest are good enough to get the job done (and many of these are not at all technical!)
    I'm looking forward to just having EE displayed. The problem with having Orange.....T-Mobile or vice versa displayed is that when you have WiFi connected the WiFi indicator obscures the o/E/3G indicator. Not sure why you would worry since you're on WiFi but it matters to an anorak like me :)
    Isn't that because it's dropped the data connection at the time so doesn't really know?
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    Isn't that because it's dropped the data connection at the time so doesn't really know?

No, it doesn't drop the cellular data connection it's just that WiFi overrides it. Most handsets still indicate the type of data connection even if WiFi is on. "Orange......T-Mobile" is too long for the indicator to be displayed unless WiFi is off or disconnected.
    Forum Member
    Apparently the iPhone is ONLY compatible with EE (and three in a minute). I thought it had 800Mhz but it appears it's 850Mhz.
    Are the 800 and 850 two separate bands? I thought they were one and the same.
    O2 are apparently offering customers who buy an iPhone 5 an upgrade to a 800/2600 handset once they have an LTE up and running. This sounds like a ruse to get customers to stay since by the time they have an actual network the new iPhone (5s?) will be out, probably supporting more bands.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the iPhone is ONLY compatible with EE (and three in a minute). I thought it had 800Mhz but it appears it's 850Mhz.
    Are the 800 and 850 two separate bands? I thought they were one and the same.
    O2 are apparently offering customers who buy an iPhone 5 an upgrade to a 800/2600 handset once they have an LTE up and running. This sounds like a ruse to get customers to stay since by the time they have an actual network the new iPhone (5s?) will be out, probably supporting more bands.

The way things are going I'd imagine OFCOM will still be drawing up the rules of the auction by this time next year.

iPhone 7 maybe?
  • squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so good from o2. I don't see how that is any different from normal?!

"An O2 spokesman said it would offer customers who buy an iPhone 5 during the next few months the option to upgrade to a 4G device when the operator launches its own network. However, the customer will have to buy out their own contract, albeit with O2 contributing 10% of the cost and paying the VAT."

Source: Mobile today http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/22533/vodafone_o2_customers_miss_out_iphone5_4G.aspx
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed today that when i try to select an operator, its now showing T-mobile Orange, But showing Orange on my screen.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    Just noticed today that when i try to select an operator, its now showing T-mobile Orange, But showing Orange on my screen.

My phone is still showing T-Mobile Orange.
    Forum Member
    Just had a Sim update. Network name hasn't changed but perhaps the update is programming the Sims with the new name?
    Forum Member
    Just had a Sim update. Network name hasn't changed but perhaps the update is programming the Sims with the new name?
    Maybe.

Or, it could be something to do with the merger of the two networks? I.e. when it becomes 'EE', you won't be roaming anymore. Say, for example, when you're on a former T-Mobile transmitter (in my case), your phone won't see it as you roaming when it becomes an 'ee' transmitter.

(Vice versa for T-M customers, of course)
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When someone has EE on screen can they send a screen shot?

Also, is there a map of 4G coverage... Showing which streets in a town will be covered and if it's indoor/outdoor coverage.

Cheers
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    When someone has EE on screen can they send a screen shot?

Also, is there a map of 4G coverage... Showing which streets in a town will be covered and if it's indoor/outdoor coverage.

Cheers

Why do you want a screenshot? Coverage maps won't be available until the service actually goes live for customers...
    Forum Member
    You don't need a screenshot. Just look at your phone, and where it currently has the network name, imagine it says 'EE' instead and you'll have your picture. :)
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone wise this could change in iOS6, as I have a feeling the carrier profile has the name in it on an iPhone and the carrier profile is normally updated with a normal update.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone wise this could change in iOS6, as I have a feeling the carrier profile has the name in it on an iPhone and the carrier profile is normally updated with a normal update.

The name could be changed with a carrier settings update, although that doesn't need to coincide with an iOS update.
This discussion has been closed.