Amazing Race season 19 episode 5

Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Odd sort of leg. It had the feel of a leg that was put together at the last minute because they had to re-route or something. The first of the two road blocks was absurdly easy, and then traveling all the way to Bangkok to feed some fish and check in to the pit stop. The only degree of difficulty was in memorising the lay out of the spirit house, but even then it was rather signposted they needed to memorise it imho.

To some extent, the weakness of the leg was compensated by in terms of transport issues and human drama. I was incredibly touched by the guts and determination of Liz and Maria to keep fighting even though everything was against them. I was in tears at the end of the leg.

Found Andy and Tommy's comments on religion quite uncomfortable and wtf was going on with them stopping at a school for directions? Bizarre.

The father in the father/son team was also an ass this week. It was due to him they didn't take notes and then he spent the duration of the task having little digs at his son for something that was his fault. The thing with the coach travel was odd, though in fairness to them even I wasn't sure if they were right about the rules or not, and was half thinking Ernie and Cindy might be penalised, so I can't really blame them for getting confused!

Speaking of Ernie and Cindy, they have been my favorite team this year, but wow were they obnoxious to the cab driver, though at least they were quick to acknowledge it!

I think that other than the emotional ending it isn't a leg that will linger long in the memory, but as i say, if it was because they had to make it up on the hoof, you can't be too harsh on them for it.

Comments

• javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awwww I just watched this weeks and last back to back and I'm kinda gutted
    Liz and Marie is out. :( It was a bit obvious they'd never catch up when it got down to the bus leaving and no money though.

It was nice to see how happy the sisters were over the elephants and cleaning them at the speed bump :D

The teams I don't really like are the snowboarders/surfers? I can't remember and the father/son team. It was mainly the fathers actions re the spirithouse that annoyed me today.

Ernie and Cindy look like a really odd couple. She seems like she could be his mother :o
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was a a decent episode i thought it was odd that they had to get to bangcock at the end of the leg and then when they only had to feed some fish i knew the girls were gone. when they got those free taxi rides i changed my mind and thought they might of been able to do it but they were probably a few hours behined anyway and was just the editing. finaly glad they are out of asia next week though.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that they indeed had to re-route legs 4 and 5 and were improvising. Next week they're on track again in Africa. And wow did that look good. In the trailer at least.

Indeed not a memorable leg. Although there were some good/bad moments. Major cock up by Sailor Dad. Perhaps he had seen episodes from TAR Asia where the first class rule applies to all modes of transport. Likewise on TAR Oz where the father and son team were penalized for taking a train first clas. 15 minutes iirc.
    Sorry to see the twins go. Just when they were becoming my favourite team. Must stop picking a favourite team. Those teams are usually up for the chop...
    I wonder why it took 5 legs to bring up the religious beliefs of the snowboarders. It was not the first time they were in a non-christian place of worship.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a boring leg in a way but it was also still an entertaining episode. Mainly because of the bus / taxi drama.

The bad part was that it was obvious Marie & Liz could never catch up.:( I liked them a lot in this leg and the way they kept on carrying on. I'm sad they are gone.

It was nice to have to have different teams in the top of the pack too! I was pleased for Bill and Cathy to get second.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Not the best leg. It was obvious Liz & Marie were going, shame because I liked them. :(

Only team left I actually like is Bill & Cathi. Haha, I liked how they reacted to Amani & Marcus getting 1st place. Definitely my favourite team in a long while, hope they can stay for a bit longer.

Lawrence was annoying this episode. He told Zac to not to take notes, and then when Zac couldn't remember them he blamed him for it!?

This season continues to go downhill for me, if Bill & Cathi go next, it's definitely the worst bootlist ever. :(
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they indeed had to re-route legs 4 and 5 and were improvising. [

well that would make sense in terms of how the leg played out. If so, they made the best of a bad lot.

Yobaba** wrote: »
    I
    The bad part was that it was obvious Marie & Liz could never catch up.:(
    Climbatize wrote: »
    It was obvious Liz & Marie were going, shame because I liked them. :(

It's interesting you say that because I thought it might have been being set up for a shock elimination as we got near the end.

Of course thats most likely just the editing! :D
  • CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really did think there was a small chance of the girls catching up... the editing was excellent this week to make it seem that way. I don't think they were more than an hour or so behind - the sun seemed to be in the same place for them as it was for the team before them. And there were SO many mistakes made by other teams.

The first half of the episode looked so cut and dry, but the bus drama made up for it, definitely.

Loving Amani and Marcus and Bill and Cathi, so I'm thrilled to see them top 2, but was disappointed to see the girls go out.

Also hated Andy and Tommy's comments on religion. 'There is only one God, which is obvious when you read the words of the Bible'. Oh seriously, I can't deal with that - I bet those guys have never read the Qu'ran or the Tanakh or any other religious texts to even compare, which is my biggest issue with most religious people (from all religions).

I thought Jennifer articulated her religion in a much more moderate and open-minded way and it was the first time I felt any positive feelings towards her at all.
  • BrettLanghamBrettLangham Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cathi screaming in the background when Amani and Marcus were team number 1 was the highlight of the whole season for me so far

Sad that the girls were eliminated though as they seemed really nice in this leg.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cwej wrote: »
    I really did think there was a small chance of the girls catching up... the editing was excellent this week to make it seem that way. I don't think they were more than an hour or so behind - the sun seemed to be in the same place for them as it was for the team before them. And there were SO many mistakes made by other teams.
    I'm sure they left the pit stop only an hour behind Bill and Cathi, but obviously when they seen them they were only just finishing the speed bump and I have to say the elephant travel seemed to take a little while to get out there.
    Loving Amani and Marcus and Bill and Cathi, so I'm thrilled to see them top 2, but was disappointed to see the girls go out.

I'm actually surprised Arami and partner is still there tbh. They seemed like a very weak team and I'm sure they just made it in the early episodes?
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad that the Twins went home. I found their never-say-die attitude and chirpiness this leg really endearing, because they were clearly way behind. I think they had become my fave team by the end of the episode, so it's a real shame that they went so soon. :(

I think it was a really weird leg to have the week after a non-elimination. The leg was actually really simple when you think about it. The tasks weren't in the least bit complicated, and the buses really shouldn't have been as big a drama as they were. I think the fact that virtually every team made mistakes takes away from the fact that it was a relatively straight-forward leg. There were no real places where Liz & Marie could have made up much time, and no real chance of them catching up. (Which of course they didn't help by somehow spending all their money)

I know last week I moaned about opening times and airports leveling the playing field to often, but it would have made sense this week, because the last place team was never going to be able to catch up this week unless one of the other teams did something insanely ridiculous.

The editing was really good this episode though - even though in hindsight it was always going to be Liz & Marie, I was genuinely not sure all the way through the episode. I think I thought it was going to be every team at some point, though deep down, I was just hoping it wouldn't be the twins.

Glad their out of Asia next week. Asian legs always kind of bore me - I like it when they go to Africa. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's bye bye to the twins. Although they hadn't made much impression on me, I really liked them on this leg and was willing them to not come in last. Their tenacity and attitude was really great, even though they probably knew they would come in last.

Okay, really do not like the Snowboarders now. How absolutely arrogant to go on about 'their' religion and how it's superior. I thought Jennifer's attitude was lovely and very respectful. Personally I hate it when the teams bang on about religion, it really turns me off them. And historically the most religious teams tend to be the meanest and underhand.

Cathi was wonderful at the pit stop. I love her and Bill. Amani and Marcus are growing on me too. He's still too loud and competitive for my tastes but they're ok. Glad Ernie and Cindy finished high up, I really like them still and glad they acknowledged they were being a bit terrible to their cab driver but that is what the race does to some.

I'm shocked Lawrence and Zac didn't come in last. Truely shockingly stupid mistakes, all down to Lawrence. And he couldn't even admit that it was his fault. The whole First Class thing was hilarious. You'd think you'd read the rules fully before taking part? LOL

I was amazed at the teams deciding to walk instead of staying in their taxis. I've been to Bangkok and it is a crazy city. I wouldn't attempt to walk at all. It was great to spot some of the monuments, especially the white monument that Liz and Marie walked past. I stayed round the corner from there.

Africa next leg. I love the African legs, they tend to really rile the contestants, as it tends to be the most alien to them. And the preview looked like a doozy. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    (Which of course they didn't help by somehow spending all their money)

I thought it was pretty clear it was to do with the cab fares being more expensive than people thought, and the fact that girls didn't have any money banked from the last leg. A lot of teams were shown struggling to manage the money aspect, and a couple saying how it was a good job they had money saved.

In some respects this aspect of the leg was more old school, as they were a lot tighter with the money given for a leg back in the day than they are now. Banking money used to be an important part of the race where in recent years they just seem to give the teams enough money to deal with each leg. And of course at one time teams in the girls postion wouldn't have even received any money at the start of the leg (although they wouldn't have had a speed bump to contend with).

I do feel the way the leg was structured DID give them more chance than average to catch up from the postion they were in (after all they got the bus around the same time as Laurence/Zac), but it was ultimately the lack of cash for a cab fare when they arrived in Bangkok that sealed their fate, sadly.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear it was to do with the cab fares being more expensive than people thought, and the fact that girls didn't have any money banked from the last leg. A lot of teams were shown struggling to manage the money aspect, and a couple saying how it was a good job they had money saved.

In some respects this aspect of the leg was more old school, as they were a lot tighter with the money given for a leg back in the day than they are now. Banking money used to be an important part of the race where in recent years they just seem to give the teams enough money to deal with each leg. And of course at one time teams in the girls postion wouldn't have even received any money at the start of the leg (although they wouldn't have had a speed bump to contend with).

I do feel the way the leg was structured DID give them more chance than average to catch up from the postion they were in (after all they got the bus around the same time as Laurence/Zac), but it was ultimately the lack of cash for a cab fare when they arrived in Bangkok that sealed their fate, sadly.

Yeah, didn't the girls say that they had a lot of Indonesian money but they didn't get that exchanged on the last leg? I think that was the issue rather than them spending too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know whgen teh race is on tonight uk time? not really sure because of the clock change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    anyone know whgen teh race is on tonight uk time? not really sure because of the clock change.

if it starts on time it should be midnight UK time i think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh yay! I love the few weeks every year where the UK changes the clocks but America doesn't! It means I can watch all of my favourite shows live without exhausting myself for days in the process!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Ooh yay! I love the few weeks every year where the UK changes the clocks but America doesn't! It means I can watch all of my favourite shows live without exhausting myself for days in the process!

Ha! I know what you mean! :D

I just checked and it's just past 2pm US time, so eight hours to TAR, definitely midnight UK time (unless there is a delay which there often is for sport).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just did some research, and daylight savings starts in America at 2am on the first Sunday of November. So next week. (The 6th)

The advantage only lasts a week, but at least it's something. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh good it starts earlier i was thinking it would start at 2am