Options

Snowtown

Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So unusually for the second week in a row i seem to have been to watch a film that not many people on here are talking about!

Snowtown is about the Snowtown murders in South Australia in the 1990 perpetrated by a gang lead by John Bunting (more info here for those interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders)

It's focus is on Bunton's relationship with James Vlassakis, the son of Bunting's partner, whom he gradually drew in to his gang, presenting Bunting as being a man who is highly manipulative and whom effectively conditions James, aged just 14 when they first met and the victim of sexual abuse from both a neighbour and his own brother, first by befriending him, then by making himself a father figure to him. It's chilling to see how this played out on screen.

It was a very difficult film to watch, although with the exception of one scene the more graphic elements of the murder were kept of the screening (though the use of voices messages the gang forced their victims to record to explain their disappearance is brutally effective in it's own right) but very powerful, with some compelling performances from a largely inexperienced cast (most of whom were locals from the area the killings took place). In particular Daniel Henshall gives a grotesquely charismatic turn as Bunting, while Lucas Pittaway as turn as Vlassakis, a troubled young man slowly but surely losing his humanity as time passes, might just break your heart.

I think a better film could have been told about the circumstances surrounding the murders, but clearly that wasn't what this film set out to do. What it did do brilliantly was explore how someone can find themselves doing things they would never have dreamed possible because of the relationships they develop with people around them. It will linger long in my mind. 9/10

Comments

• Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised you haven't had more replies. I would like to see this but I'm having difficulty finding it. What cinema did you go to (the chain, I mean)? I've been on my usual one's website and no sign of it. :confused::)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry, I like the indie films too :)

It was a really disturbing film. Not because of the gore, because it was far from gratuitous and not for how evil people were. It was disturbing because everything seemed so normal to these people and yet so foreign, but during the film we accept it as a way of life.

I thought it was perfectly done when I came away from the film feeling somewhat as concerned about some of the culprits as much as I was the victims, which is perfectly natural considering we weren't given the chance to know the victims.

I did watch a documentary about the case before I watched the film and thought it was done as tastefully as possible regarding family members. I would recommend doing a little reading or watching before going to the film as the storyline does largely ignore the victims. It doesn't show or name all of them so I do feel a chance to miss the scale of the crimes could be missed.

It was difficult to watch, there are some scenes that stay with you, and it's not necessarily what you might expect of a film of this nature. It was underplayed, acted well and has a fly-on-the-wall feel about it. Home and Away it is not!

All in all, I think it was a good film, though I wouldn't call it 'entertainment'. I'm glad it was Australian made rather than having any Hollywood exuberance.

I'd give it a good 8.5/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you haven't had more replies. I would like to see this but I'm having difficulty finding it. What cinema did you go to (the chain, I mean)? I've been on my usual one's website and no sign of it. :confused::)

I saw it at the Greenwich Picture House. I think it had a bit of a limited release. Perhaps you might be able to get it on DVD in due course?

Slightly depressing in a way that you get pages of discussion about fodder like Twilight and nothing about a really good, thought provoking film like this, but such is life I guess...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Don't worry, I like the indie films too :)

It was a really disturbing film. Not because of the gore, because it was far from gratuitous and not for how evil people were. It was disturbing because everything seemed so normal to these people and yet so foreign, but during the film we accept it as a way of life.

I thought it was perfectly done when I came away from the film feeling somewhat as concerned about some of the culprits as much as I was the victims, which is perfectly natural considering we weren't given the chance to know the victims.

I did watch a documentary about the case before I watched the film and thought it was done as tastefully as possible regarding family members. I would recommend doing a little reading or watching before going to the film as the storyline does largely ignore the victims. It doesn't show or name all of them so I do feel a chance to miss the scale of the crimes could be missed.

It was difficult to watch, there are some scenes that stay with you, and it's not necessarily what you might expect of a film of this nature. It was underplayed, acted well and has a fly-on-the-wall feel about it. Home and Away it is not!

All in all, I think it was a good film, though I wouldn't call it 'entertainment'. I'm glad it was Australian made rather than having any Hollywood exuberance.

I'd give it a good 8.5/10

I agree, it wasn't entertainment, and one of the most challenging films I have had to sit through, but it was brilliantly grafted.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd seen the film advertised in a magazine but it wasn't shown anywhere near me. It sounds like it's very powerful - I might get it on DVD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I'd seen the film advertised in a magazine but it wasn't shown anywhere near me. It sounds like it's very powerful - I might get it on DVD

Very much worth seeing, I would recommend it, as long as you are not too put off by disturbing themes.
  • Options
    sallsall Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched and thought it was very disturbing, but has played on my mind so have watched it a few more times since. Did'nt know anything of these murder's beforehand so I've wiki'd all the info I can. Have to say I want to see it again now, the young actor playing Jamie brilliant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I found this film to be utterly compelling and a brilliant piece of cinema but having said that it is very grim!

Extremely difficult to watch in parts, although it doesn't show a lot of gore it implies it and that is enough...
    It gives you an uneasy feeling throughout with the way it's shot and the music and has a bad feel to it.

Fantastically acted considering they are mostly amateurs.
    Overall a great film although it wasnt to my taste

7/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Forgot to say it aged on my mind a lot afterwards too and also it made me and my gf feel phisically sick a few times while watching it too
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Just watched this.
    Had seen it recommended on Film 2011 as one of the films of the year.
    I knew nothing about it, and did not know that it was based on real life events. Half way though I was thinking it was a bit far fetched, so I utterly gasped at the end when I realized it was based on fact.
    The whole thing is very well done, the director paces it well and some of the cinematography stills are stunning and so effective.
    The taped messages by victims were chilling, though it took me a while to figure out what they were :o.
    It is difficult to watch, and I had to cover my eyes a few times, but I really have not a good stomach for violence, and in fairness it was not in any way gratuitous.
    The mindset of those depicted in the pedophile hate group is shocking, I mean you see people with strange views on Jeremy Kyle etc, but to these people the whole attitudes were normalized, like how else would you think?
    And yet in saying all that, I felt the helplessness and lack of understanding for the whole section of society. There are so many people with nobody to stand up for them, who will be instantly taken advantage of and mistreated. I'm not saying how they acted was right, far from it, but I felt it very well illustrated that feeling of being excluded from society.
    I am off to do some research as I knew nothing of this case.
    The cast were excellent, fantastic performances from relative unknowns.
    This one is going to stay with me for a long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that review - very interesting :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    I found the film extremely disturbing and it made me feel extremely uncomfortable while watching it. Given the film's subject matter, this was exactly how I was meant to feel.

Wouldn't want to see it again but I have been recommending it to all my friends as a must see.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    So unusually for the second week in a row i seem to have been to watch a film that not many people on here are talking about!

Snowtown is about the Snowtown murders in South Australia in the 1990 perpetrated by a gang lead by John Bunting (more info here for those interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders)

It's focus is on Bunton's relationship with James Vlassakis, the son of Bunting's partner, whom he gradually drew in to his gang, presenting Bunting as being a man who is highly manipulative and whom effectively conditions James, aged just 14 when they first met and the victim of sexual abuse from both a neighbour and his own brother, first by befriending him, then by making himself a father figure to him. It's chilling to see how this played out on screen.

It was a very difficult film to watch, although with the exception of one scene the more graphic elements of the murder were kept of the screening (though the use of voices messages the gang forced their victims to record to explain their disappearance is brutally effective in it's own right) but very powerful, with some compelling performances from a largely inexperienced cast (most of whom were locals from the area the killings took place). In particular Daniel Henshall gives a grotesquely charismatic turn as Bunting, while Lucas Pittaway as turn as Vlassakis, a troubled young man slowly but surely losing his humanity as time passes, might just break your heart.

I think a better film could have been told about the circumstances surrounding the murders, but clearly that wasn't what this film set out to do. What it did do brilliantly was explore how someone can find themselves doing things they would never have dreamed possible because of the relationships they develop with people around them. It will linger long in my mind. 9/10

Just watched the trailer for this, lol yes late i know. Looks good!
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was fairly interesting 7/10. It was better than I expected - from past experience of any movie labelled as disturbing I was expecting something either arty and unintelligible like Lost Highway or constant ridiculous gore with blood squirting for several miles like in Kill Bill!
    Mildly sad but wouldn't play on my mind for days :confused:

Oh and the poster talking about people with unusual views, it's not that unusual, every few months there are threads on here about how we should castrate and torture various criminals. I'm sure there are a lot more on forums that allow swearing. :eek:
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,093
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night on Blu Ray. In terms of the actual violence, there was probably only one sequence which was extremely heavy, but the general grim tone of the film, and the sense of dread really does prevail.

Definitely an accomplished piece of work though, and a side of Australia we so rarely see (the Australian version of 'chavs', grey clouds etc).

Does anyone know whether there was controversy back in Oz whether the film was made 'too soon', as the murders took place in the 1990's. Whenever UK films and tv shows are made about recent murders, there always seems to be some controversy, eg the recent Fred West tv adaption.
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am gonna watch this! getting good feedback from other DS forum members - just need to find the time
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it recently and although it was interesting and had a genuine dirty kind of realism to it - I just found it boring.
    Glad I watched it but I don't feel I'd have missed anything if I hadn't watched it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether there was controversy back in Oz whether the film was made 'too soon', as the murders took place in the 1990's. Whenever UK films and tv shows are made about recent murders, there always seems to be some controversy, eg the recent Fred West tv adaption.

I think it was well received generally, as it was felt to be a less speculative piece than the "documentaries" that were made in the first year or two after the event.

Theres an interview with the director here from the Adelaide Review which touches on how it was received in Australia:

http://www.adelaidereview.com.au/article/838
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it a few days ago, has played on my mind ever since.
    Powerful movie. Even the beginning stayed with me - just nothing to do for these young people. Social deprivation Australian style. I lived in New Zealand for a few years, and though another country - the layout of those streets and houses are very similar in both countries.

Thought the actress who played the mother was very good. And the actors who played Jamie and Bunting where excellent. Though I thought both actors looked too young and too old respectively for their parts.
    I was also confused of who was who in film.

The film also stated at the end that the mother was meant to be charged for a murder as well - but died of cancer before reaching trail. I kind of wished that was made obvious in the film, as the movie portrays the mother as being naive to the murders. Or so I understood it. but fully understand that the film isn't about the mother's story.
    The very ending got to me as well -
    with the step brother being tricked into going to the disused bank to look at a computer - only to find the gang looking at him and then the film ending on the look on his face with the door closing, which will stay with me.

A special mention to the haunting music throughout it, that has stayed with me too :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard a few things about this film, I may check it out....
  • Options
    suzielou1970suzielou1970 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Anyone who has Sky at 11.pm tonight (Wednesday) on the Investigation Channel there is a programme on called Crime Scene Australia which documents the real events of the Snowtown murders - be warned though - it is quite graphic in its descriptions!
  • Options
    mary03mary03 Posts: 6,281
    Forum Member
    Muttley, I totally agree with your comments on this movie. I saw it some time ago and was surprised that it wasn't commented on here at time of release. However, not being a main subscriber to this part of the forum, I had no way of knowing if it had been previously discussed.

Given its disturbing content, I didn't expect it to have a thread of its own, but thought at least it may have been described in a sub-thread at some point in its release.

I've only seen one other movie that really disturbed me in its context since then, and that was 'The Girl Next Door'.....albeit apart from the fact that both were based primarily around true life events, and also the disturbing events surrounding both cases, I wasn't a fan of either given the content and therefore felt no desire to comment on them further.

But good call on the acting, directing etc., on this movie. It certainly is worth mentioning in terms of debate amongst other more palatable movies out there at the moment.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has Sky at 11.pm tonight (Wednesday) on the Investigation Channel there is a programme on called Crime Scene Australia which documents the real events of the Snowtown murders - be warned though - it is quite graphic in its descriptions!

cheers for the info. don't have that channel, but found it on youtube!

Crime Scene Australia

I have seen the first 15 mins so far, very interesting and will watch more later.
  • Options
    mary03mary03 Posts: 6,281
    Forum Member
    cheers for the info. don't have that channel, but found it on youtube!

Crime Scene Australia

I have seen the first 15 mins so far, very interesting and will watch more later.

Be prepared for a pretty gruesome experience.

This film totally draws you in.

That's how good it is. Everything about it seems normal and everyday life and then all of a sudden you are suckered right into the core of it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it tonight . Wow shocking movie (two scenes in particuliar were very hard to watch). Thought I was desensitised to most films but obviously not. Only thing that pissed me off is the dvd has no subtitles. :mad: