Citizen Khan - BBC One

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    If you took away the over the top accents/asian stereotypes, you'd be left with a paper thin plot with very weak comedy. It really is quite poor.
    Can't believe a live studio audience would laugh at this. I'm judging this by comedy alone and it's awful.

The stereotypical Asian mother, striving for everything to be perfect, the westernised daughter, sneaking about. What's not to like? :rolleyes:
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Is it acceptable in most families for a woman wearing the hijab to wear so much make up? I thought that would be classed as 'immodest'.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daughter in the gold trousers is fit :p
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the last time broad stereotypes were tried, you ended up with Heil Honey I'm Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWjCkcAmzDc

This is basically all the bad bits of 70s sitcoms..
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God knows what the bloke from the BT ads is doing in it, presumably they cast him as they had to have a white person so as not to be racist. :D
  • QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I just happened to turn the TV over and started to watch this. What an absolute pile of cr@p. How on earth did this sneak through and get onto TV. Its not funny at all and seems to be almost a complete reverse of 'til death us do part. I can't believe I wasted 10 minutes of my life watching it.
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievably bad. Can anyone give one redeeming feature in this crap?
    Forum Member
    God knows what the bloke from the BT ads is doing in it, presumably they cast him as they had to have a white person so as not to be racist. :D

Is he only known as the chap from the BT ads now? He was in 'My Family' for years.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The boy who played an Asian looked white too.
  • 37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathodisen wrote: »
    God, so much negativity. Each to their own I suppose.

I quite like it. It has had some funny lines.

I quite liked it too.

I also know British Asian woman that made her husband and children sit on the floor rather than let them sit on the new sofa. I think the plastic covers stayed on for months :D

The accents were the weakest part of it.

I would watch it again though,
  • ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    Unbelievably bad. Can anyone give one redeeming feature in this crap?

Nope.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he only known as the chap from the BT ads now? He was in 'My Family' for years.

He was brilliant in My Family, he made that show imo, went downhill after he left.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I was quite looking forward to this but it's genuinely abysmal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37 Years wrote: »
    I quite liked it too.

I also know British Asian woman that made her husband and children sit on the floor rather than let them sit on the new sofa. I think the plastic covers stayed on for months :D

The accents were the weakest part of it.

I would watch it again though,
    Then PLEASE get a copy of GGM... you'll find all the tropes referenced but MUCH better...
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone who likes Mrs Brown Boys. would not like this, it would be interesting to see their justification for liking one but not the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to also ask...

And they're dropping the BBC4 budget by 5 million for this and Lee Nelson?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone who likes Mrs Brown Boys. would not like this, it would be interesting to see their justification for liking one but not the other.
    I don't like either. At all.
    I like INTELLIGENT comedy...
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I've just seen a bit and its not very good. I keep expecting the father to go "Not quite with you, myyy old fruuiity" like in Goodness Gracious Me with his OTT accent :o
    GGM, while dated now, was funnier than this! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    i thought it was hilarious probably because i can relate to it.
  • mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it acceptable in most families for a woman wearing the hijab to wear so much make up? I thought that would be classed as 'immodest'.

That's supposed to be a joke. Perfect Muslim family with daughter who is a perfect Muslim at home, then takes her hijab off when she is out
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Didn't really tune in, more it just kind of stayed on after the news finished. Thought it looked horrific in the trailer and I wasn't wrong.

It seemed very racist to me (but that's ok because it's an Asian family) and the whole Westernised daughter angle sat very uncomfortably with me coming so hot on the heels of the Shafilea Ahmed murder trial.
  • mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Then PLEASE get a copy of GGM... you'll find all the tropes referenced but MUCH better...
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I've just seen a bit and its not very good. I keep expecting the father to go "Not quite with you, myyy old fruuiity" like in Goodness Gracious Me with his OTT accent :o

Bloody love GGM!

Iiii knewwwww thatttttt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    This show is absolutely the biggest, steaming pile of unfunny, badly written, poorly acted load of stereotyped crap we've seen on British TV for at least 20 years. Every single person associated with the production of this shite should be made to clean the toilets at Media city for a week. Hopefully they'd be able to recognise the smell then.
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Adil Ray was interviewed and he said that some of the writers from GGM had input into this to make it more 'realistic' and suitable for a 'western' audience.

Why was GGM SO much better than this then?
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought it was ok, I think the idea was it was supposed to be cheesy and look a bit naff. I watched it because my dad pointed out that The guy playing Citizen Khan went to the same secondary school as I did, although was 4 years above me lol.