Options

Layout of The Woolpack (ED)

dmbowensdmbowens Posts: 574
Forum Member
✭✭
Wen looking at The Woolpack from the front there is the front door, with large windows either side. Clearly the bar is housed in the left hand side of this building, but what is on the right side?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I have often wondered this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I asked the same question on here a couple of years ago and the reply was something along the lines of there was a room to the right of the main door that used to be used for some sort of youth club. The person who replied never explained why this room isn't used anymore though!

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    HellinglyHellingly Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    It's not known why we never see the second bar anymore. The last time it appeared was before the plane crash when it was used as a wine bar (before that it was briefly a youth-oriented hangout). It took a hit in the plane crash (Chris Tate was trapped in the rubble) and hasn't been mentioned since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What second bar? As far as I'm aware it has always been a mystery as to what the right hand side is used for.

The wine bar was at the back of The Woolpack and was completely destroyed on the night of the plane crash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replies, I thought there must have been some sort of explanation.
    Another thought though, is there doesn't seem to be room to fit in Marlon's kitchen and Diane's living quarters. Maybe it's some kind of Tardis :p
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a book on Emmerdale somewhere, outlining the history of the soap before it's move to Harewood House in 1998.

There's a picture of Alan Turner serving food and (this is from memory) I'm sure it acted as the restaurant side of The Woolpack at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Have often thought this too, the layout makes no sense when compared to the view of the front of the building. Also how people get the the customers back door from the bar is also a bit of a mystery, i'm guessing you go past the toilets and down some weird hallway but none of it makes sense.
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It had a refurb a while ago when they discovered a Viking well or something.

If you think about it, the outdoor entrance can't lead straight into the inside entrance. The only window that shows (if I recall correctly) is behind the seats that are along the wall that is on the left, as you walk in the door, which is at right angle to everything else
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    iv been thinking about this (sad i know) but i think the windows to the left of the bar face the b&b (next door) from inside you go through the door which leads to the hallway where the front set of window are. the other door has a similar hallway including the toilets and allows you to leave the pub coming out at the side... if this makes sense :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iv watched emmerdale for 25 years and after recently watching some old episodes aswel as more recent ones, iv been able to make a layout map of the woolpack (or at least how i think it looks), i know its not great but hope its of some help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84071312@N06/8107314684/in/photostream

as you can see i think you enter the pub through the main entrance, turn left and you enter the hallway, then go through the double doors and your into the main bar area.

the windows you see at the front of the pub actually look into 2 corridors

the other exit to the pub leads into another hallway where you will find the toilets and an exit which leads to the side of the pub

through process of elimination i've worked out that MArlon's kitchen used to have an extension on it and was used as the wine bar before the plane crash.

also the booth seating area at the right of the bar used to have a door next to it which led to the wine bar and to the living area (i remember this as when Amos came back for a visit, he was annoyed that Alan had blocked this door up- but there was no purpose for it as that area was no longer used by the public after plane crash)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The living room and Marlon's kitchen are behind the bar which means they would be in the B&B. It makes no sense.

The only hallway is the one you see from the front, once you walk through the door on the left you are in the bar.
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The layout makes no sense but once you go left through the doors you're immediately in the bar.

Judging from the live ep, the big window when you enter is at the front of the pub looking onto the village, so it has to be.

But the two frosted glass windows you see behind the seats to the left of the fireplace should be looking into the unused area of the building, and yet daylight is always streaming through. lol
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iv watched emmerdale for 25 years and after recently watching some old episodes aswel as more recent ones, iv been able to make a layout map of the woolpack (or at least how i think it looks), i know its not great but hope its of some help.

as you can see i think you enter the pub through the main entrance, turn left and you enter the hallway, then go through the double doors and your into the main bar area.

the other exit to the pub leads into another hallway where you will find the toilets and an exit which leads to the side of the pub

through process of elimination i've worked out that MArlon's kitchen used to have an extension on it and was used as the wine bar before the plane crash.

also the booth seating area at the right of the bar used to have a door next to it which led to the wine bar and to the living area (i remember this as when Amos came back for a visit, he was annoyed that Alan had blocked this door up- but there was no purpose for it as that area was no longer used by the public after plane crash)

How good of you to do that, no one else has bothered saying thanks so I will :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member

Never mind about the quibbles , it seems to make sense to me. The hallway explains a lot and we never see that.. But well done for taking the time and trouble to reproduce a plan of trhe Woolie ( and you also did this for the Rovers ) I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to construct such a diagram , and then post it. So congrats to you. I hope others appreciate the time and effort you have made.

Edit ; I see my fellow Nottingham poster , Scone , as also appreciated what you have done:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks great, thanks for doing it, :) But like others have said it cannot be possible as the large main window in the bar looks out towards the cottages/cafe.

It's obviously one of those things, like the Rovers toilets, and the Coronation St viaduct that will just have to be accepted. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    Never mind about the quibbles , it seems to make sense to me. The hallway explains a lot and we never see that.. But well done for taking the time and trouble to reproduce a plan of trhe Woolie ( and you also did this for the Rovers ) I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to construct such a diagram , and then post it. So congrats to you. I hope others appreciate the time and effort you have made.

Edit ; I see my fellow Nottingham poster , Scone , as also appreciated what you have done:D

aw thanks cheers for that, i enjoyed doing it.. little things like this wind me up (too much time on my hands) :) appreciate the comments, as others say the only thing wrong is the window looks out onto the cafe but i think thats something we have to live with, i'll just keep tellin myself its the B&B lol
  • Options
    HellinglyHellingly Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Basically then, the person who designed the set back in 75/76 (when the Woolpack moved from the original building) made the cock-up. The bar should have been on the other side of the room (as it is in the real Woolpack in Esholt), then the living area / Marlon's kitchen would be occupying the mysterious unseen side of the Woolpack instead of being inside the B&B!

I noticed in the live episode, that they added a previously unseen door behind the bar to cover up the fact that the building ends there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hellingly wrote: »
    I noticed in the live episode, that they added a previously unseen door behind the bar to cover up the fact that the building ends there.

That door is in the regular set too, it's just rarely ever seen closed.
  • Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really glad that this question has been asked and answered because I have wondered it so many times.

The only conclusion that I came up with was that there must be a corridor along the front (so you walk in, turn left and then turn right through the door into the pub area), as the above poster who linked to a photo of the layout did.

I'd never considered the possibility that the actual bar wasn't facing outwards onto the road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    It's just one of those things, it was badly planned when the set was built and now they are stuck with it the way it is. The big window is obviously meant to be facing the main street of the village as we can see the cottages across the road through the window, this means that the door behind the bar is more likely to lead into the B&B rather than the kitchens and living area.

The storm was probably their best chance to redesign the layout of the bar but I suppose it isn't necessary.

On a side note, when Dan (pretty sure it was him) left the Woolpack during the live episode we saw that he walked out the door of the bar which led him directly to the porch so there is no corridor between the bar and the porch.
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked today the window to the left of the main door shows a street scene. There is also a window opposite the bar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iv watched

well tonights episode blows my theory out of the water... when the brick was thrown through the window and nearly hit chas, from the outside it was clearly the left hand windows that were broken. which suggests that the right hand side of the pub is some kind of large unused store room lol :D:p:D
  • Options
    KB1984KB1984 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RYDuswavcg

Here is the interior of The Woolpack circa 1986 during the gripping storyline of Mr Wilks unable to hoover Amos' bedroom :D

There is a big staircase in the mainbar as well as many doors leading to goodness knows where :confused:
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KB1984 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RYDuswavcg

Here is the interior of The Woolpack circa 1986 during the gripping storyline of Mr Wilks unable to hoover Amos' bedroom :D

There is a big staircase in the mainbar as well as many doors leading to goodness knows where :confused:

Those stairs are a nod to the real Woolpack at Esholt. My memory may be failing me but I am sure there was stairs in the bar area (the window at the top of them is the same as the back one at the real one.)