F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »

I'm glad they used those slow-mo shots at Colin's crest, normal speed shots don't really show just how high some of them jump.

I found the high speed apex cams particularly pleasing. Ive highlighted a few shots.

https://vimeo.com/57593506 (give it a mo to go live)
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Now we just have to wait to see if you need the Sky World package to get the 3D content.

See DMN #183.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    I found the high speed apex cams particularly pleasing. Ive highlighted a few shots.

oops, wrong link.

https://vimeo.com/59531674
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See DMN #183.

At the bottom of the announcement page it says the usual:-
    Sky 3D is available at no extra cost to Sky customers with the Sky World package, the HD pack and a 3D TV.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8474815/Sky-to-show-all-four-days-of-second-Barca-test-live-and-in-3D-from-28-Feb-to-3-March-
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    At the bottom of the announcement page it says the usual:-

I thought it meant free from the tweet ? :cool:

Sky Sports F1 ‏@SkySportsF1
    To confirm: Live testing will also be shown in 2D on @SkySportsF1. But if you have Sky HD pack and a 3D TV too, it's free to watch in 3D
    9:43 AM - 6 Feb 13
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dansus wrote: »

https://vimeo.com/57593506 (give it a mo to go live)

The great coverage this year really made me interested again in the WRC. Actually a shame that Loeb only does 4 rally's, because he looks like the only man to bring the fight to Ogier. Without Loeb, Ogier will probably dominate this year.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably do need to pay them though, so maybe "FOM's working with us" means "they didn't charge us as much as we expected/waived the fee because they wanted to see how this 3D thing is working without having to buy all the equipment themselves"

P.S. Who is this at 13:00 winning a FFirst race in the mid-80s?
    Surely not Benny The Bulb? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDDzJLWT2jE

You should tweet him @benedwardstv sure he will be interested
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the new season.....been interesting seeing the little snippets from Ted's Notebook etc...

Might be old news (more than likely) but I'm quite dismayed Bernie has refused a new licence for 'Kangaroo tv/Fanvision' for fans at circuits. I'm not sure how many of you in here ever attend a race (or ever have) but it was an invaluable tool for those who found it hard to follow the ontrack action, let alone understand all the other support races etc. The big screens are often too far from the 'cheap' seats (ha that's still £150 to have the priviledge of standing on some rain sodden patch of grass for 6 hours before the race) for people to see information clearly. I don't know what it is with F1 and media etc but it seems years behind other sports and completely self defeating. F1 should do more to promote itself and stop this feeling you should be kissing Bernies feet for being allowed a glimpse of a Ferrari for 100m as it speeds past. We're literally not worth it as fans to him anymore.

A constructive suggestion for whoever starts the 'Part 2' thread...remove 'the verdict' from the title. I suspect it instantly galavanises people into taking a strong viewpoint and almost infers it's a 'fight' thread, which I suspect has never been the intention. Just call it 'F1 Coverage 2013' and leave it at that. Last years thread was such a sh*tstorm that I feel many stayed away as you were instantly labelled a BBC Bertie or a Sky PR man for saying something remotely postive about that broadcaster. It seemed the thread ended up being dominated by a few overly vocal posters.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    why change something that works. let's not forget our roots. Interactive F1 - The Verdict is how it all began. a decade later, we are giving our opinion on the evolution of what was.
    What is now the standard on SSF1 is the galvanisation of our opinions over the years.
    I like to think it is our child. Without this thread we may not have the polished product we have today.

It's down to our opinions. Our verdict.

I agree on the fanvision point. Such a great product. The fans are the losers.
    Again!
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Was the issue with fanvision that FOM asked for more cash or was it a case of Fanvision no longer been able to pay what they had been in the previous deal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    why change something that works. let's not forget our roots. Interactive F1 - The Verdict is how it all began. a decade later, we are giving our opinion on the evolution of what was.
    What is now the standard on SSF1 is the galvanisation of our opinions over the years.
    I like to think it is our child. Without this thread we may not have the polished product we have today.

It's down to our opinions. Our verdict.

I agree on the fanvision point. Such a great product. The fans are the losers.
    Again!

'Verdict' sounds too confrontational and tempting to those who can't entertain debate in here rationally and without bias. For instance I had no idea that this thread orginated ten years ago, and I'm an F1 diehard. If you've affected change within the products the industry launches, then they're not going to simply stop listening because 'Verdict' is removed from the title, they'll still know where to find opinions and suggestions.

It's only a minor thing, just last years constant infighting put me off this thread (and I'm sure others too) as there's an inferred emphasis to give a verdict on what you've seen...it's clear people can't be trusted to debate sensibly.

Hopefully this season will be a more pleasing thread to read and isn't dominated by fanboys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the issue with fanvision that FOM asked for more cash or was it a case of Fanvision no longer been able to pay what they had been in the previous deal?

Fanvision struggled to make the product financially viable for Bernie. The cost of rental was relatively high to some people (£60 for the weekend) and although sales were increasing year on year, the bottomline was hard to uphold. It's very successful in other sports (such as NASCAR, NFL) which to me indicates the product was is still viable. Personally I used it a few times and I thought it was excellent (especially keeping track during the rain sodden British GP 08) but I do think the prices were set too high and pushed many potential customers away, who set the prices...I don't know.

One solution is to look at increasing the capability of mobile networks and have people use their tablet or mobile phones to stream data. The problem being that'll involve investment (aka more cost passed to fans) and it'll take a huge slew of infastructure to support 100k+ fans demands on streaming. Fanvision used UHF to broadcast so circumvented those issues....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we should call it Veredictum and have a secret handshake.. that should keep out the riff raff. :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    =The big screens are often too far from the 'cheap' seats
    I like to pack a pair of binoculars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I like to pack a pair of binoculars.

And I like to pack a waterproof, let's not get ahead of ourselves ;)

The point begin that you spend a lot of money to attend an event and given the barest comfort and facilities for your money. I think when you're spending on even the cheapest race day ticket you should be entitled to access some form of data (even just lapchart app) and not having to rely on using binoculars to look at some screen hundreds of metres away.

I'll pay £35 to get a weekend grandstand seat at Silverstone to see the WEC, and yet be expected to pay £150 for patch a grass for F1. The equivalent grandstand seat is £300+. I respect that you can just take binoculars but feel that's missing the point....
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Pingloss got royally flamed for daring to repeat the 3D news the other day, but have I missed the "second" piece of news from Sky that D.M.N. alluded to?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    have I missed the "second" piece of news from Sky that D.M.N. alluded to?
    Nope.
  • JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Italy presented a typical F1 weekend schedule yesterday on their website, you can see it here: http://guidatv.sky.it/static/images/sevendays/content/SpecialeFormula1/tabella__big.jpg
    Little differences between this and the UK counterpart: our version of the F1 Show will be on-air daily from thursday to sunday for 1 hour. All the sessions from GP2, Porsche Supercup, and F1 will be broadcasted live alongside Qualifying and Races from GP3. Live will also be the Drivers Press Conference, the Team Principals one (which apparently has been moved to saturday morning) and the Drivers Parade. Interesting to note a "F1 Legends" program, which probably will be the translated version of the UK program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can tell, Sky Italia will be on-air all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The F1 Show is back on Friday, but note: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/22058/8497608/The-F1-Show-returns-

"joining presenters Natalie Pinkham and Ted Kravitz"

Whether that is a permanent move, we shall see. If it is a permanent move:

a) has Georgie been dropped?
    b) has someone else been dropped?
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Actually only rightsholders can film at tests. And even that is restricted by FOM.

It is my understanding that FOM are filming the third test in 2D, and Sky are filming it in 3D, mainly to show FOM how it would look.

But what defines a test though? If they're doing some straight line speed testing on a random airfield somewhere they have to pay FOM? :confused:
  • JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    From what I can tell, Sky Italia will be on-air all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Pretty much, yeah.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    you should be entitled to access some form of data
    I use my mobile to see the live timing page on the web site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I use my mobile to see the live timing page on the web site.

So do I, the point being that when you have many more thousands now accessing that due to Fanvision folding, coupled with the year upon year increase in data consumption, the 3g networks are unable to meet demand.

I go to Silverstone many times per year (F1 isn't my favourite motorsport) and the mobile networks up there are terrible and very patchy. Battery life is a huge issue too irrespective of 3g network capabilities. A lot of 'smart' phones won't last for 90 mins of continous 3g streaming, on wifi many could, but unfortunately there isn't a sufficent wifi coverage available. Even the F1 journalists complain often at the lack of decent 3g or Wifi coverage and the excessive charges they face....and they're supposed to be the people covering F1, let alone us fans. This isn't even taking into account all the other support races and the desire to keep track of them.

Also bear in mind there's many international visitors to race circuits and the roaming charges they can face would effectively make using a constant 3g stream far too expensive to justify. Can you understand where I'm coming from with this??? You may be perfectly happy with your viewing experience, a lot of people aren't though and I feel it's fair to address/debate that.

I feel for the money you spend and the assertion that F1 is a premium technology sport, that maybe we should be a lot further along in what's available to fans. It seems a backwards step to remove fanvision (irrespectve of it's high price) without a viable alternative put in place. I would often see around the paddock the 'non F1' corporate guests being given a fanvision unit to keep track of everything and their interest up, I wonder how well that'll go down with the corporate entertainment bods (not that I truly have much sympathy for them!).

Let me state, I can go to a GP and keep 100% in the loop by following on track action. But for the first time visitor it can be daunting to consider spending all that money and risk not being able follow the race and enjoy a better experience than being sat at home, this is where things such as fanvision and the ability to effectively stream data comes into play. With ticket prices as they are and attendance across GP circuits waning in some countries I feel F1 should be doing all it can to encourage people to the circuits and maximising their experience while there. At the moment it kinda feels that you're the bottom priority and almost a hinderance. Fans shouldn't feel like that.

You may find this thread on Joe Saward blog interesting to read where many fans discuss the removal of fanvision and the wider impacts: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/not-much-fan-vision-in-f1/
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I thought it meant free from the tweet ? :cool:

Sky Sports F1 ‏@SkySportsF1
    To confirm: Live testing will also be shown in 2D on @SkySportsF1. But if you have Sky HD pack and a 3D TV too, it's free to watch in 3D
    9:43 AM - 6 Feb 13

Does this mean that if you haven't a 3D TV you have to watch testing in 2D as no normal HD coverage or have I misunderstood,
This discussion has been closed.