Options

Brixham, Devon Holiday Suggestions

BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So we've just booked a holiday cottage for a week in August. The cottage is in Brixham,devon but were unsure what to do/where to go. One day we think well head to Paignton to go to the zoo and water park and another in Torquay. Does anyone know of any pretty beaches or fun attractions in Torbay suitable for a family? What are the nicest beaches in the area etc..?

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baban wrote: »
    So we've just booked a holiday cottage for a week in August. The cottage is in Brixham,devon but were unsure what to do/where to go. One day we think well head to Paignton to go to the zoo and water park and another in Torquay. Does anyone know of any pretty beaches or fun attractions in Torbay suitable for a family? What are the nicest beaches in the area etc..?

Brixham is completely different to the other two places, it has no beach it is purely a harbour, the best beaches are Torquay seafront, Preston sands in Paignton and Paignton seafront has a children's area and around Babbacome if you want a seaview.

Paignton Zoo is fantastic place to go, other place Trago Mills near Newton Abbot and the Moors generally.

You have picked Brixham which is going to mean travelling as it is the furthest away.

There is a water theme park which I think is called Keywest, and there is crazy gold opposite Torquay seafront.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Brixham is completely different to the other two places, it has no beach it is purely a harbour, the best beaches are Torquay seafront, Preston sands in Paignton and Paignton seafront has a children's area and around Babbacome if you want a seaview.

Paignton Zoo is fantastic place to go, other place Trago Mills near Newton Abbot and the Moors generally.

You have picked Brixham which is going to mean travelling as it is the furthest away.

There is a water theme park which I think is called Keywest, and there is crazy gold opposite Torquay seafront.

Great thank you! Will definitely look into your suggestions.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It’s not strictly true that’s there’s no beach in Brixham because there is one called Breakwater beach but it’s a pebble beach and only about 150 Metres long and is surrounded by slipways and a car park but it does have a cafe and public loo’s.

For a day out try the Dart Valley steam railway with the nearest station to Brixham being Churston (for trains to Dartmouth, Goodrington or Paignton) about 2 miles towards Paignton from Brixham. If travelling to Dartmouth the fare includes the foot ferry crossing to Dartmouth, or at least it use to but might have changed and the last time I took this ride from Paignton to Dartmouth about 2 years ago I never crossed the river at Dartmouth because on that occasion I just went along for the train ride and came straight back.:)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get up and out early because it will be absolutely heaving. I'd even suggest bike riding because you will be hard pushed to find a car parking space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great tips thanks
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buckfastleigh, about 20 miles away is worth a visit. Buckfast Abbey, Butterfly farm and otter sanctuary also the South Devon railway.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JRA is your man for this. He knows everything worth knowing about Devon.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JRA is your man for this. He knows everything worth knowing about Devon.

Yeah I thought of him as soon as I saw this thread. :D

Lots of places listed on this website:

http://www.visitsouthdevon.co.uk/lots-to-do/attractions/?p=1
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlimited rail travel is available for £10 per adult and £5 per child after 09.00 or all day weekends and bank holidays (Devon ranger). Railcard discount also applies.
    Or theres the freedom of the south west ranger for 3 days which includes Devon Cornwall Somerset and Dorset.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are also plenty of boat trips from Brixham and other nearby towns.

http://www.greenwayferry.co.uk/