Options

Susie Blake is returning to CS

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
Forum Member
✭✭
[url] http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bev-unwin-returns-coronation-street-5681497[/url]

Terrific news and great for continuity, given that Deirdre and Bev were so close. It's incredible to think that it's been nine years since Bev last graced the cobbles. I really enjoyed her very believable relationship with Shelley and her role in the domestic abuse plot with Charlie Stubbs.

Comments

• Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is great. I was worried that they weren't going to bring her back, but now they are. And the same actress as well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope that they get this one right. Anne Kirkbride was one of the show's greatest legends and deserves a send-off on a par with the brilliant one that Blanche got back in 2010. The initial signs look promising with both Bev and Peter returning for the funeral.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay, so glad Bev is returning, I always liked her and her close friendship with Deirdre was great.

I would quite like to see Shelley back too.
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrific news. The amount of times Deirdre's been to see Bev recently it wouldn't have been believable had she not shown up. Nice one Susie Blake. Hopefully we'll get a bit of an update on how Shelley's coping with Charlie's (8-year-old? :o ) kid now as well.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly fantastic news. The only real returns Deirdre's send-off needed was Peter and Bev, I'm delighted she has both coming back. Just their presence is enough.

However, I'm not sure how pleased Bev will be to see Peter in any case!
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Oh that's great!
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news
  • Options
    CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Will be lovely to see Bev again, even under the sad circumstances.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    I was never a huge fan of the character but I agree it would have been strange had she not been there, given Deirdre has been staying with her!! Well done for that Corrie bosses!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping we'll have some references to Shelley and her son at some point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    This is great news. Always liked Bev. :)
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad this is happening
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would've been slightly ridiculous if she hadn't returned given that that is where Deidre has been for the past few months.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, it was necessary given that Deirdre's staying with her. But her first meeting with Peter since 2003 could be explosive...
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article says that she is returning for the funeral but I would like Bev to return to break the sad news that Deirdre has died.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article says that she is returning for the funeral but I would like Bev to return to break the sad news that Deirdre has died.

Who says she won't?
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So with Susie Blake returning, it can't be long before Katherine Kelly returns as Becky now surely?
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So with Susie Blake returning, it can't be long before Katherine Kelly returns as Becky now surely?

Why? There's no connection between the two situations or characters. Susie Blake is returning for the fictional funeral of a real friend who has died - how is that related to Katherine Kelly and Becky?
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont recall Deirdre and Bev being close back when Bev was onscreen. Liz and Eileen were Deirdre's best mates back in the early 00s and bizarrely Frankie Baldwin used to hang around with that group as well despite being at least a couple of decades younger than them. I don't remember Bev being part of their group she was always with Shelley and Fred.

Was Deirdre and Bev's close friendship created (or at least exaggerated) after Bev left to give Deirdre an excuse to go offscreen? As once Liz returned from Spain all of Deirdre's nearest and dearest lived on the street.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were Deirdre and Bev really that close? I remember them sharing a few scenes but I've never regarded Bev as a close friend of Deirdre. Apart from her current visit, did Deirdre really continue visiting her after she left the street or is that something they're retconning in now?

It's good that they are making the effort, more than they did for Betty when they couldn't even be bothered to ask Julie Goodyear, who would've probably done it for that reason, to return.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the last two posters. I don't remember Bev and Deidre being close at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? There's no connection between the two situations or characters. Susie Blake is returning for the fictional funeral of a real friend who has died - how is that related to Katherine Kelly and Becky?

Becky was previously married to Steve, who had a daugther with his ex-wife, whose mother was Diedre. So there is a connection.
  • Options
    The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becky was previously married to Steve, who had a daugther with his ex-wife, whose mother was Diedre. So there is a connection.
    That's a very teneous link. If Becky didn't come back for Hayley's funeral, why would she come back for Deirdre's.

And don't forget that Becky didn't end on good terms with her; Deirdre let Becky take the flak for Tracy losing the babies when she knew that it wasn't true what Tracy was saying.
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping we'll have some references to Shelley and her son at some point.

Had Bev left before Tracy killed Charlie(who if I remember was the father of Shelley's Child)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very teneous link. If Becky didn't come back for Hayley's funeral, why would she come back for Deirdre's.

To support Steve and Amy?