Sky HD cost - Anyone know how much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
Forum Member
If they offer HDTV for free with subscription of certain premium channels Ill be getting it. If they want to charge extra they can forget it. Anyone know what the case will be? Cheers.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the forums, one thing we all argree on is that the SKY+ HD will cost you and the actual extra subscription is a given. No cable services in Preston?

Now you already pay for an extra service so bascially it's not a question of refusing SKY HD becuase they charge for it but exactly how much and the value you will then put on it.
    Putting aside the cost of the SKY+ HD and the subscription you still need a HD display to make full use of the service.

Three or four years HD boxes may be at the same level (from SKY) as the SKY+ currently is and of course non SKY HD hardware will also be far far cheaper and there will be some free HD broadcasts.
    There may even be some viable HD on DTT once analogye shutdown is well under way which I suppose you would then not object too even though you would still have to buy a HD receiver:)
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Cutting edge technology is never going to be free. Why should it be subsidised when people are prepared to pay to be at the forefront? Personally I'll wait a few years for the cost of the sets to come down (and to see if they really all are HD Ready). After all, you can nearly count on one hand the number of HD channels available at launch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    wattieuk wrote:
    If they want to charge extra they can forget it.

Erm.... did you think it would be free ? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I hate people talking c... if they`re upset about anything. @Jarrak don`t give answers on questions which are don`t asked. The question made is about the price and not how stupid the industry may be sometimes and how you thinking about it. At least I think he knows about HD so much that he need a LCD or Plasma with at least 720 lines, so don`t bother people with these facts.

and btw noone of the topics explains how much Sky will charge for the service, cause no one knows yet. Just rumours and rumours are nothing before something takes place for it.

Cable
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDTV is just the inception of skyTV all over again. When it first came out, I bought the box and the dish. Then they decided they were going to encrypt channels, bit by bit, and monthly subscriptions began. We needed a card, and this necessitated the use of an encoder - £99.00!
    Then they decided skyTV would be free to anyone who wanted it - by this time, I had bought my second box and dish - and monthly subs. kept on rising. Eventually, we found that we were subscribiing to channels we didn't even watch, so opted for a lesser package.
    The same could well happen with HDTV; the box etc will be free with you only being responsible for monthly subscriptions.
    I'm not getting HD, although when we get a new TV, I will go for HD ready as I don't want to limit our future options.
    There is no way they can continue to charge consumers for the equipment at an extortionate cost, as there are many people who either cannot afford it, or aren't prepared to pay it. (I am certainly in the latter group. We have better things to spend our money on!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote:
    There is no way they can continue to charge consumers for the equipment at an extortionate cost, as there are many people who either cannot afford it, or aren't prepared to pay it. (I am certainly in the latter group. We have better things to spend our money on!).
    8,000,000+ subscribers, and rising. I think they can do whatever the market will bear.

Many people, like you, will choose not to subscribe, but that doesn't make their business model unviable.

Jerry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cable wrote:
    I hate people talking c... if they`re upset about anything. @Jarrak don`t give answers on questions which are don`t asked. The question made is about the price and not how stupid the industry may be sometimes and how you thinking about it. At least I think he knows about HD so much that he need a LCD or Plasma with at least 720 lines, so don`t bother people with these facts.

Cable

You know there are times when someone asks something you not only try to answer the specific question but then explain why the answer may or may not be what the poster wanted to hear.
    It can save time and clear up matters if a follow up question is asked:)

These forums are also read by people who don't post questions and it's useful at times to cover information that is linked to the original question.

So I gave him the amswer.
    SKY+ HD will be sold probably at cost, exact price unknown but considering a single tuner HD receiver with no HDD costs over £250 do the math.
    SKY have also stated there will be a HD subscription, exact cost unknown.

For the poster these answers will mean he will not be getting HD from SKY so I then pointed out he is prepared to pay for extra content so SKY HD is no different, just how much the cost will be will in effect determine what value he puts on it. I then though asking about cable may offer an avenue to explore since they will provide the STB and then you just pay a extra fee which may be more attractive to him than the SKY offering.
    It was also worth pointing out the you will need a HD display which are not cheap and the basic HD business model is kinda based on the idea that people paying £500-£4000 for a TV can afford HD:)
    As for wattieuk knowing all about the technical aspects of HD well that wasn't made clear so again making sure he knew that HD was not just about the STB and subscription is rather important I would have thought.

To finish up I offered my view on how HD will develop and how it may in a short time meet his stated requirments and that SKY will not be the only source of HD.

All the above was done in a friendly fashion in an effort to help a fellow forum user.

Sorry if it offended you :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote:
    The same could well happen with HDTV; the box etc will be free with you only being responsible for monthly subscriptions.
    I'm not getting HD, although when we get a new TV, I will go for HD ready as I don't want to limit our future options.

God I hope you are right:)
    I am putting aside £500 for the SKY+ HD and installation and expecting at least a £10 premium for the HD channels.

SKY is a premium service, the cost will never be in a the region which allows every one to afford it, even the license fee causes issues with some households.

Amen, it's only entertainment after all and if money is tight or you just don't rate the value of the service then there dozens of things that come before subscription telly:)
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Amen To That!!!!
  • JonnyJonny Posts: 1,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess:

£399 for hardware
    £10 Per month Sub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    These forums are also read by people who don't post questions and it's useful at times to cover information that is linked to the original question.

All the above was done in a friendly fashion in an effort to help a fellow forum user.

I'm one of those people who's more of a reader than a poster and I generally find the extra info given about HDTV informative and interesting.

Jarrak - your posts are always friendly, keep on posting!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Register at

http://www.sky.com/hd/thankyou

And sit back and show some patience :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roysta wrote:
    I'm one of those people who's more of a reader than a poster and I generally find the extra info given about HDTV informative and interesting.

Jarrak - your posts are always friendly, keep on posting!

Cheers, your comments are appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    i doubt that the hardware and install costs will come close to £ 500.00 or £400.00, if they did then no one would buy it, lets face it the HD channel line up is going to be bleak on launch date, with some of the content on these channels being upscaled SD. It just wouldn't justify its price tag
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pawlo wrote:
    i doubt that the hardware and install costs will come close to £ 500.00 or £400.00, if they did then no one would buy it, lets face it the HD channel line up is going to be bleak on launch date, with some of the content on these channels being upscaled SD. It just wouldn't justify its price tag

Prepare for the worse, hope for the best:)

If I was to put money on it then I would go for a launch price exactly the same as the original SKY+, the hardware would be subsidised to a small degree with that being recouped via the subscription but still making SKY a profit in the minimum contract term.

Compared to Premiere and even the early US offerings the channel lineup is impressive, for me it's good enough and I think it is attractive enough for those who would be targetted as early adoptors or fools in some peoples minds:)
    Forum Member
    So are you all ready?

Sky HD box will cost £299

Subscription will be £10 per month.

Sky Press Launch February 28th

Programme Launch 17th March

Sky HD+ box will have a 160gb hard disk installed.

Delay is due to shortage of boxes to meet demand of pre registerd customers. Current supply will mean not all those who have pre registered will get boxes before end of May.

:cool: So not much longer to wait folks
    Forum Member
    Where did you get that from??!! ;)
    Forum Member
    Best not to reveal sources, but time will tell.

90% confidence on accuracy of information.

:cool:
    Forum Member
    Interesting stuff. Thanks Woddy.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoddyKit wrote:
    So are you all ready?

Sky HD box will cost £299

Subscription will be £10 per month.

Sky Press Launch February 28th

Programme Launch 17th March

Sky HD+ box will have a 160gb hard disk installed.

Delay is due to shortage of boxes to meet demand of pre registerd customers. Current supply will mean not all those who have pre registered will get boxes before end of May.

:cool: So not much longer to wait folks

Woody, that £10 subscription, does that get you all the HD channels including Sports and Movies even if you don't have them normally on your package? Or would it be that you need normal sports and movies to also get them in HD?

I hope it is the 1st one, as I don't intend to take out sports or movies, so I don't see why I should have to pay £10 just so I can get Sky One and Documentarys. On a 6 Mix pack right now but my 12 months free ends in Autumn so I will be going down to a 2 Mix, but I can't see myself paying another £10 just so I can get Sky One HD.

The only way I would pay £10 extra is if it included the Sky+ charges as well. So £25 a month for a 2 Mix, Sky+ and HD would seem better value too me.
  • AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I don't think so. The £10 sub gets you the HD versions of channels you can get on your package, not access to ones you can't get the SD versions of.

For instance if you currently subscribe to the sports channels but not the movies then you'll get the HD sports channel, but not the HD film ones. All HDTV boxes will be Sky+ boxes so that probably does include the Sky+ subscription charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alberon wrote:
    I don't think so. The £10 sub gets you the HD versions of channels you can get on your package, not access to ones you can't get the SD versions of.

For instance if you currently subscribe to the sports channels but not the movies then you'll get the HD sports channel, but not the HD film ones. All HDTV boxes will be Sky+ boxes so that probably does include the Sky+ subscription charge.

Yeah thats what I thought. Still I don't mind paying £10 more for HD and Sky+, but I am sure I read else where that someone stated on the new SkyHD site it says you will need a seperate Sky+ sub to take advantage of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't knock it, that's the third time I've heard these figures. From what I understand it the £10 is for HD service, not for channels. A bit like Sky currently charge £10 for Sky+ if you don't take a certain package. So yes it's a bit of a rip off if you don't have Sky movies or Sports. Also if you look on Sky's HD site there's a section that says if you want Sky+ functionality you have to also pay a Sky+ subscription also! (unless you take out two premier channels)

It's been suguested that Telewest/NTL will launch later in March so I'd be supprised if Sky didn't try and bet them.

Although there are rummor that the HD box actually has a 300GB hard disk not a 160GB, are you sure that bits correct ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't justify paying £15 for 2 Mix's, £10 for HDTV and another £10 for Sky+.

See I would not mind if Sky released a cheaper HDTV box that did not have Sky+ in it. Then I would not feel as bad only taking out a HDTV sub and not Sky+. But if I have to spend £300 on a new box and only use it for HDTV and not Sky+ I will feel cheated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big sellers of HD will be movies and sports, so I'm afraid with only wanting Sky One HD you are not really the person they are aiming at. Sky want Everyone on Sky World plus HD plus multiroom; don't expect them to do anything to make it easy for you to stay on 2 x Mixes.