Eastenders draws harsh criticism

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    What happened next ........ Thank you for asking Window Shopper.

Well my daughter and I were discharged 5 days after her birth despite the fact that she was still not feeding very well (Weak muscle tone). We returned to see the consultant who told us that the Ds was confirmed and then sent us into a corridor to wait for more tests. When he saw me crying he asked my husband what was wrong with me!

She was vomitting quite alot but we were told that this is what babies do. On day 7 she vomitted a whole bottle of milk all over us but the vomit was bright green.
    We rushed her back in hospital, they examined her and then emergency transferred her to a larger hospital where she was placed on intensive care. 4 hours later she underwent surgery to reconnect her stomach and bowel and to reposition her intestines. We were told that the next few hours were likely to be hardwork. Honestly on that terrible day I was hit by the rush of love that I had not felt after her birth. She fought so hard to survive that I now wanted to fight for her too.

16 months on she is the most amazing little girl. She charms everyone. The holes in heart are closing, she has passed her hearing test and her glasses arrive next week. She is my world!

Not sure that this link will work but if it does please feel free to watch her montage, I hope that it shows that life carries on and that children with DS are just like any other child.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=3b64782f8159bb2c6dbe4&skin_id=0&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url
  • Window ShopperWindow Shopper Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Loublou wrote:

Well my daughter and I were discharged 5 days after her birth despite the fact that she was still not feeding very well (Weak muscle tone). We returned to see the consultant who told us that the Ds was confirmed and then sent us into a corridor to wait for more tests. When he saw me crying he asked my husband what was wrong with me!

She was vomitting quite alot but we were told that this is what babies do. On day 7 she vomitted a whole bottle of milk all over us but the vomit was bright green.
    We rushed her back in hospital, they examined her and then emergency transferred her to a larger hospital where she was placed on intensive care. 4 hours later she underwent surgery to reconnect her stomach and bowel and to reposition her intestines. We were told that the next few hours were likely to be hardwork. Honestly on that terrible day I was hit by the rush of love that I had not felt after her birth. She fought so hard to survive that I now wanted to fight for her too.

16 months on she is the most amazing little girl. She charms everyone. The holes in heart are closing, she has passed her hearing test and her glasses arrive next week. She is my world!

Not sure that this link will work but if it does please feel free to watch her montage, I hope that it shows that life carries on and that children with DS are just like any other child.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=3b64782f8159bb2c6dbe4&skin_id=0&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Thank you so much for sharing the montage and the story, I have tears in my eyes writing this! you have a beautiful daughter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mutleygold wrote:
    I am speaking from my own experiences,if you have had the same experiences as I have then maybe you may realise where I am coming from. When I hear buzzers being rung & all I can hear from the night station is staff chatting & not responding to patients,when the Chief Executive's #2 admitted that they had failed me,when I have worked for NHS direct,speaking from a qualified nurse point of view,when I was in A&E for 13 hrs & was forgotten about time after time,when I had nursing staff who left me to walk on my own after being given morphine & hadn't been on my feet for hours.When recommendations were made following my meeting with CE #2 re pain training.If you had nursing staff who were rude to you when I tried to explain that the pain relief medication wasn't effective & I had been admitted to get my pain under control.
    Please do not describe me as rather rude after the treatment which I received.

It is incompetence when someone doesn't do their job properly,we all have a different pain threshold,the medical staff aren't the ones who are experiencing the pain,it gives them no right to tell someone else what they are feeling.
    Caring has gone out of the window in the nursing profession nowadays,it is just a job for many. Out of a team of 10 staff on the ward there were only 2 who were competent,a ward sister actually told me that unfortunately most staff do not understand pain.

I had a friend who was in a life threatening accident and was in intensive care then a general hospital ward for about four months, I too witnessed some horrific incidents, patients pressing buzzers with no nurse responding even though they were around, even nurses laughing when handling the body of an elderly man who just died. But these nurses are totally overworked and underpaid, on crazily long shifts they become like zombies and operate, Ike robots- often lacking any emotion or sensitivity as they are so knackered.
    The nurses themselves are not to blame it’s the system created around them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jen0607 wrote:
    i know nothing about down's babies, but i do know about abortions...

Stacey would have to have had a pre-op appointment and they would have gone into great detail about what the procedure entailed. When I had my first appointment, it took over 2 hrs to complete. (and I had to wait 10 days from seeing my GP to seeing the hospital)

I then had to go back a week later for the actual operation. I never went back and now have a beautiful son but the way the dealt with both Stacey's and Zoe's abortions was complete bull. If they wanted to do the story justice, they should have showed the wait in between the two appointments, because it is hell.

Absolutely. My first appointment took about three hours- continuously having to go and see one doctor/nurse and then going back to waiting room to wait for the next, which was tiny and you were sat cramped staring at other girls from all sides on top of each other, all of you on the verge of tears and very depressed- but there was no privacy. I was made to wait three weeks until my first procedure and because there was not one on London for over a month I had to go down to Birmingham twice. And this was going private.

Eastenders does no way come even close to showing the ordeal girls go through in waiting through these gaps, and the strain it can put on a relationship with your partner(if you are in one). This would have made for gripping viewing- but again they cant be bothered to develop longer term, more realistic storylines and take the easy option.
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. My first appointment took about three hours- continuously having to go and see one doctor/nurse and then going back to waiting room to wait for the next, which was tiny and you were sat cramped staring at other girls from all sides on top of each other, all of you on the verge of tears and very depressed- but there was no privacy. I was made to wait three weeks until my first procedure and because there was not one on London for over a month I had to go down to Birmingham twice. And this was going private.

Eastenders does no way come even close to showing the ordeal girls go through in waiting through these gaps, and the strain it can put on a relationship with your partner(if you are in one). This would have made for gripping viewing- but again they cant be bothered to develop longer term, more realistic storylines and take the easy option.

I am in no way saying that what you experienced isn't true but I accompanied a very close friend of mine to have an abortion a few years ago.

It was a private clinic in London. There was no pre-op appointment, just a small consultation when we arrived. I paid for her before she went through and she was in and out in a few hours. Everything about it (apart from the payment side) was very similar to what was shown in Eastenders.

I'm actually really suprised to see that many other people have experienced something different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote:
    I am in no way saying that what you experienced isn't true but I accompanied a very close friend of mine to have an abortion a few years ago.

It was a private clinic in London. There was no pre-op appointment, just a small consultation when we arrived. I paid for her before she went through and she was in and out in a few hours. Everything about it (apart from the payment side) was very similar to what was shown in Eastenders.

I'm actually really suprised to see that many other people have experienced something different.

I think the procedures must have changed because that actually doesn’t sound legal! Are you sure your friend has not been to consolations prior to just turning up on that day? That sound quite suspicious…
    They have to take several hours: to go through the procedure with you in detail and you decide which you want, do scans, take blood, fill in lots of lengthy forms etc etc which would entail more than just a 'small consultation'!
    I am surprised that you are surprised that it would normally be so quick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is definitely the system around the nursing/medical staff that is at fault, not them. I would suggest that people's bad experiences are not the norm, but more likely the exception.

Its a thankless, demanding and exhausting profession i believe. Nurses deserve a hell of a lot more pay than they get, for all the grief they receive day in day out.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er- no! I have had an abortion and went private- there are only 2 central organisations in the UK you go through- and are then given a clinic of theirs to visit which is nearest to you. It is not a matter of calling up and getting one performed at a clinic that suits you- on the same day at all. I had to visit 6 different clinics all across the UK to have mine done- and really know a lot more about the process then you clearly do, I’m sorry I have to say. Eastenders portrayed as easing as flipping through the yellow pages to order a takeaway - it really is not. They got a lot more than simply not portraying the overcrowded waiting rooms wrong- believe me.
    I think this can be a worrying thing considering many teenage girls watch it and may be influenced by how it is portrayed on EE.

I have got to say that this is totally different to what I experienced last year. My experience was much closer to that described by ebjeebe.

I saw my doctor on the Friday and was given a referral letter, called the number on the letter and was given an appointment at a Marie Stopes clinic 10 days later. I arrived at the clinic, filled in the forms, waited a while, saw the nurse, waited a while longer, went for the procedure and was in a taxi back to the station within 3 hours.

FF
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is clear that there are varying experiences. The NHS is very similar to Holly's experience, privately i have no idea. But would assume it to be easier, as you are paying for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went private though, as did most of girls in the waiting room with me- most had even worse experiences than me sadly (and I haven’t even told you the half of it)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FearFactor wrote:
    I have got to say that this is totally different to what I experienced last year. My experience was much closer to that described by ebjeebe.

I saw my doctor on the Friday and was given a referral letter, called the number on the letter and was given an appointment at a Marie Stopes clinic 10 days later. I arrived at the clinic, filled in the forms, waited a while, saw the nurse, waited a while longer, went for the procedure and was in a taxi back to the station within 3 hours.

FF

But you still didn’t just walz in to a clinic on the sameday through an ad you’d seen in the yellow pages as shown on EE! Marie stropes are much better than BPAS who I went through.
  • Streaky BaconStreaky Bacon Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    sHAYneWARD wrote:
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I make this point every time the lazy little whingers make a claim for more money.

I have worked with many of them for many years in several hospitals and those I have met who genuinely care about the patients and their profession, and have the mental capacity to do anything more than make a bed or give a bath, could be counted on the fingers of one hand.
    Let's hope that those are the ones that look after you then if you ever have to go into hospital :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses are FAR from lazy - that is a disgusting disrespectful comment, which i am sure is far from true in the majority of cases.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I booked mine (abortion) on the phone. Flew over from Ireland. Had it done in Marie Stopes, Ealing and left a few hours later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Honey will come good. She and Billy will love that baby to bits.
    Excellent storyline-brave too.
    My children had no problems or special needs so I can't fully understand the situation Honey is in- but there is sure to be shock.She has been in denial but I am pretty sure we will see the process of her accepting, then bonding with her baby.You know what she's like , she'll fall in love with the baby and become enslaved to her. This is a love story waiting to unfold.

Loved Loublou's post. Made my day.....so much love. Thank you for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds awful! would you mind telling me when you had your baby. when my mum went into labour with me(fifteeen years ago) she says that the midwife was fantastic. helped her the whole time and even stayed an hour and a half past her shift to make sure everything went well! i suppose it just depends on who you get.

It was in 1983 in Southampton.
    I had 3 different midwives who didn't do regular checks & I had no family present.
    I found out after the event that I could have had my own midwife who I had seen at my ante natal checks but I wasn't informed of this option.
  • Still DirrtyStill Dirrty Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see the family of the baby EastEnders are using on This Morning today? they talked in great detail about the storyline and their own experience and Fern said that the Downs Syndrome charities are all 100% behind EastEnders so no harsh criticism at all then.

Sounds like the press were just using this non story to have yet another go at EE :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mutleygold wrote:
    It was in 1983 in Southampton.
    I had 3 different midwives who didn't do regular checks & I had no family present.
    I found out after the event that I could have had my own midwife who I had seen at my ante natal checks but I wasn't informed of this option.

oh exactly where i was born...year or so later mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a friend who was in a life threatening accident and was in intensive care then a general hospital ward for about four months, I too witnessed some horrific incidents, patients pressing buzzers with no nurse responding even though they were around, even nurses laughing when handling the body of an elderly man who just died. But these nurses are totally overworked and underpaid, on crazily long shifts they become like zombies and operate, Ike robots- often lacking any emotion or sensitivity as they are so knackered.
    The nurses themselves are not to blame it’s the system created around them.

It is a shame that we have had to witness such experiences. I actually blame the nursing training & the calibre of some individuals who perhaps shouldn't be considered for training in the first place. Unfortunately standards are so low in most professions & are fast tracked,I feel that back to basics is the way to go.
    Many nursing procedures have become easier eg,taking blood pressures,temperatures,bed pans,disposable syringes.It seems that paper work has become a real issue but then forms of communication have increased.
    When I look at the uniform that I had to wear compared to most of todays,the nurses & doctors look scruffy& this can lead to a poor standard of work as there is very little pride.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sHAYneWARD wrote:
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I make this point every time the lazy little whingers make a claim for more money.

I have worked with many of them for many years in several hospitals and those I have met who genuinely care about the patients and their profession, and have the mental capacity to do anything more than make a bed or give a bath, could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

No problem,I'm pleased that I am not alone with my thoughts. Caring should be a priority,sadly 9 times out of 10 it isn't in some medical staff's vocabulary or nature. Unfortunately patient's aren't in a position to choose. I have changed a consultant on occasions when I have been discharged as an inpatient.
    Many consultants have zero people skills,yet again they think they are God but they are just mere mortals. It is a great pity that they can be notorious for their brusqueness,but my view of them rates very low.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loublou wrote:

You have a beautiful daughter! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    From today’s Metro: The Downs storyline is ‘riddled with inaccuracies’ says the Royal College of Nursing. Its has been criticized for being factually incorrect as well as presenting midwifery in a poor light. The RCMs Sue Jacob said the BBC had a responsibility to get its fact right.

I agree with this- they also always present abortion totally incorrectly- a character decides to get an abortion, looks a number up in the yellow pages and goes along the same day and has it done. This is also not the case and usually means 3 or 4 drawn out visit to clinics over several weeks/a month- to present it as something so easily accessible and simple is also very irresponsible of the BBC.

Well i disagree, i watched the BBC's morning news and it had a man on there who said that the stroyline was based on his experiences with his young son with downs. And to be honest with the abortion storyline, this is a soap we are on about here, it's not affecting you in anyway it's a programme you watch and if you don;t like it, don't watch it! I think that the episodes were great, one of the best we've seen in ages and it doesn't need to be 100% right! It's a TV soap, nothing is always correct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see the family of the baby EastEnders are using on This Morning today? they talked in great detail about the storyline and their own experience and Fern said that the Downs Syndrome charities are all 100% behind EastEnders so no harsh criticism at all then.

Sounds like the press were just using this non story to have yet another go at EE :rolleyes:
    Exactly what i just said, you're totally right there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i disagree, i watched the BBC's morning news and it had a man on there who said that the stroyline was based on his experiences with his young son with downs. And to be honest with the abortion storyline, this is a soap we are on about here, it's not affecting you in anyway it's a programme you watch and if you don;t like it, don't watch it! I think that the episodes were great, one of the best we've seen in ages and it doesn't need to be 100% right! It's a TV soap, nothing is always correct.

Yes it is a soap- but it’s the BBC’s most viewed programme so I would hardly say its ‘just a soap’. It is trying to accurately portray real life as happening in Walford- if not they would just bring in aliens if they wanted it to be removed from reality!
    It is reaching out to millions of people everywhere so the least they can do is make sure their storylines- if they choose to portray such serious issues as abortion in the first place- are realistically portrayed. Another thing for you to consider- when someone does go through something abortion, have a baby with downs- an issue that is close to their hearts- of course it will affect people if they then see this issue being portrayed on television.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they showed midwives quite well. Honey's midwife was pushy, domineering and interfering and quite unsupportive. That has been my experience of most midwives and health visitors. Of course the RCN won't agree...they have a 'reputation' to protect.