• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    A slotted spoon is easier for getting rid of the water
  • Options
    Sir Jeremy IIISir Jeremy III Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    A slotted spoon is easier for getting rid of the water

Yes i use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water however the egg will still be wet, which is why i sit it on a piece of kitchen role.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best way is to use a pan with taller sides than a flat pan and swirl the water round with a teaspoon very quickly, then drop the egg into the middle fo the pan. The swirling water will help keep the white all together for the first few seconds. I find this never fails and never need ot boether with vinegar.
  • Options
    Sir Jeremy IIISir Jeremy III Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    CherylFan wrote: »
    I think the best way is to use a pan with taller sides than a flat pan and swirl the water round with a teaspoon very quickly, then drop the egg into the middle fo the pan. The swirling water will help keep the white all together for the first few seconds. I find this never fails and never need ot boether with vinegar.

You only have a small splash of vinegar which doesn't flavour the egg whatsoever.
  • Options
    kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use cider vinegar, about a table spoon per pan.

Don't know why but cheap eggs never work - even the free range bulk 18 packs. Only proper free range seem to give the perfect poach.

Economy free range are ok but are rough and watery compared to woodland or white box free range.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    kibblerok wrote: »
    I use cider vinegar, about a table spoon per pan.

Don't know why but cheap eggs never work - even the free range bulk 18 packs. Only proper free range seem to give the perfect poach.

Economy free range are ok but are rough and watery compared to woodland or white box free range.

It's the same with all eggs - the better the egg you buy, the better it tastes. I'm not sure whether this works in baking, but I'll bet some people can tell the difference.

I never buy cheap eggs anymore, both on grounds of taste and how the hens are kept.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I poach mine by oiling a plastic poached egg cup, cracking in an egg and putting it in the microwave on the medium setting for a couple of minutes - excellent with toast. Under no circumstances should you use a high setting though as that tends to produce a bang!