Options

do you pick up lotto tickets from the floor?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
If you see a lotto ticket on the floor do you pick it up and check the numbers?

I do. I once found a ticket with five lines of numbers for that nights draw. (Didnt win a thing)

Also once found a strip of scratcards (4 of em) and won £10 .

Comments

• Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because in the event of a big win I wouldn't be able to prove I'd bought the ticket.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    No, because in the event of a big win I wouldn't be able to prove I'd bought the ticket.

Surely if they tracked down the purchaser there's a decent chance they'd give you a reward out of their winnings, though?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done but only one was a winner. I got a tenner.:)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always used to rescan any tickets in the lottery play unit when i ran a shop - never got anything :( but have had some luck with scratch cards especially when they have all sorts of symbols meaning you can win in different methods and it only takes a moment just scan and enter the 4 digit code and see
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what if you find a ticket down the back of the sofa from four months ago. How the hell are you supposed to prove it / remember where or when you bought it ?
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member

Is that a rule. We don't fill out a form when we buy so if it's CCTV evidence, couldn't you wait til the end of the time allotted to claim, where the CCTV footage would have probably been taped over, deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Surely if they tracked down the purchaser there's a decent chance they'd give you a reward out of their winnings, though?

True, but a reward would be unlikely.
    But what if you find a ticket down the back of the sofa from four months ago. How the hell are you supposed to prove it / remember where or when you bought it ?

Buy them online, then you won't have that problem.
    swaydog wrote: »
    Is that a rule. We don't fill out a form when we buy so if it's CCTV evidence, couldn't you wait til the end of the time allotted to claim, where the CCTV footage would have probably been taped over, deleted.

It's not worth the risk of prosecution.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    True, but a reward would be unlikely.

It's not worth the risk of prosecution.

Prosecution?

Was there a precedent set in the case of " F Keepers Vs L Weepers?

Seriously though,if you had found it, as opposed to stolen it. I doubt they'd be a prosecution, as, even if you found it, you could claim you bought tickets all the time and had no clue which one was the found one.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So is it actually the case - legally - that if you can't prove where and when you bought the ticket, then you can't have the winnings ?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which floor are you finding all these tickets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is it actually the case - legally - that if you can't prove where and when you bought the ticket, then you can't have the winnings ?

I don't know how they verify it. I just assumed they would have some system in place that would require you to give some details about when and where the ticket was bought, or provide proof of purchase.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there's been cases before of people trying to claim big winning's from other people's tickets and then not being able to verify that they bought the ticket and thus subsequently not getting the money.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a couple who got prosecuted for claiming a ticket they had found in the shop. I think it was for £15,000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    There was a couple who got prosecuted for claiming a ticket they had found in the shop. I think it was for £15,000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201932/What-lotto-bad-luck-Couple-30k-ticket-forced-hand-half-cash-real-winner.html

It was for £30,000 but they only had to pay half of it back, and the rightful ticket owner has to sue Camelot for the rest because they won't pay up.

Also it looks like if someone else doesn't claim before the time's up you might get the money, at Camelot's discretion.