Options

Masterchef: The Professionals 2013... coming soon

Comments

• Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    It looks lovely but is it worth £35 a head?

Part of the deal is your going to a place to eat that you can say you have been to and where people who can't afford 35 quid mains haven't been to

All part of the great British class system

I'll never get over the woofters who open the doors at the top hotels act like they are so special and royalty. Doesn't matter what hotel you work at, your still a woofter who opens doors for people for a living
  • Options
    SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desmondp wrote: »
    Damm this Frackin ads on this forum are now driving me bananas !

Whose bright idea was that

I don't see any ads at all. I use Firefox with the NoScript* add-on. Can you use an ad-blocking add-on with your browser?

*Blocking ads is not the primary purpose of NoScript, but a welcome 'side-effect' There are add-ons specifically to block ads though.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the deal is your going to a place to eat that you can say you have been to and where people who can't afford 35 quid mains haven't been to

I'll never get over the woofters who open the doors at the top hotels act like they are so special and royalty. Doesn't matter what hotel you work at, your still a woofter who opens doors for people for a living

.... and Britain is the only country in the world with expensive restaurants? That standard of cooking is always going to cost a lot more than a 'normal' place because of the expense of ingredients, number of staff employed, surroundings etc.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at the menu as well

For two people you are looking at around 160 quid all up with wine. You have to pay that kind of money for decent places nowadays and it's not like you would go there every few days.

Some people drink 200 quid worth on a night out, some people gamble that much and others spend that much on food

That's money I am willing to spend to check out a restaurant once in a while. They did not seem to go a pretentious route either. All the precision was there to achieve consistency with every plate.
  • Options
    CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member

I've been to some very smart hotels and I've never encountered a rude or superior door opener, they've always been very courteous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    Not the first time they could not split two chefs, within five minutes of him being on in the first round, Adam seemed to be shown as a potential winner, a trait I have seen several times on Masterchef, I doubt the show is produced for telly until the series is over, so knowing who the finalists & winner are the editing to me always points to a winner very early, if Adam does not win this either jointly or on his own I will eat my hat ( though it will be cooked in three different ways :D)
    :D:D

This is the first time I've watched Masterchef in any depth. In the past I've usually turned off, so I hadn't realised there had previously been joint winners.

But certainly Adam (and Scott) have been my favourites from the word go. As far as Adam is concerned, he doesn't seem to put a foot wrong, and I agree if he doesn't win (either solely or jointly) then I'll be gutted.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It tastes better when you know that no people were humiliated during preparation of your meal :D That chef looked like a nice person that can get from his staff what he needs without shouting at them.

I thought Head chef was very good- he maintained his high standards but was encouraging throughout- not "this is rubbish" but "you can do better"
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a charming and lovely chef he was last night, with tasty looking food and an encouraging, pleasant atmosphere. Hopefully this is the way forward for all top restaurants. :)

I still haven't forgotten the awful Micheal Kitchen's appalling behaviour towards the French Formula 1 chef a few years ago, reducing him to tears and totally shredding his confidence. That was bullying not teaching, and the BBC should never have shown it. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Do you mean Tom Kitchin?
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean Tom Kitchin?

If he's the Scottish chef with the curly black hair - yes.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a massive Masterchef fan, because I'm vegetarian and find it hard to get excited about all the meat/fish dishes which make up a lot of the show, but I've been watching a little bit this year and I am a true foodie (if you can call a veggie a foodie!).

I don't really see the point in them doing a service and another dish for a head chef when it doesn't appear that that feeds in to their ranking. Normally the head chef seems to just say both did very well and that's about it. I wish we'd see them providing detailed feedback.

Also I do find it interesting that working in a kitchen with loads of staff your role is basically to cook meat/fish and then just compile things on a plate, none of which you've cooked, made, measured or thought about. It's basically just putting the meal on a plate, apart from the cooking of the meat/fish. Of course things have to be pre-prepared and you have a kitchen full of people doing that for you. I just find it's more of a test of putting stuff on a plate the way you're told to, whilst under a lot of pressure. It's not really cooking per se, and in a smaller place with few staff I imagine it feels a lot different and you're really having to multitask. I understand they want things to be consistent, and to save time, but really everyone else has done a lot of the work for you and in some cases it's quite fool proof (everything is measured, inspected, heat tested for you etc).

The bits I can really look forward to are the desserts which are often veggie.

Things I dislike about high end cooking are on-trend things such as everything being a 'ketchup' or 'emulsion'. I'd like them to actually tell you what makes it a ketchup over whatever other terms are interchangeable!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Last night´s chef, Ashley, was demanding, precise, fair, and straight, yet he was also quite calm, controlled and encouraging to the contestants. And that is a two-star restaurant with Heston´s name on the door. That shows that there is no need for all that humiliation we sneak-peaked. There´s this nonesense in the industry that claims that in order get to the top you have to behave like a prick, sacrifice your friends, your family, your life, the dignity of others, take their souls and treat them like shite.

I am glad that we are getting to see top chefs such as Ashley, Tom Kerridge, Michel Roux Jr... etc. that have no need to take that approach.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evening peeps!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    evening peeps!

Hello!
    Forum slightly more user friendly tonight
  • Options
    EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bonsoir :)

Polish sausage for me tonight - but not three ways, learnt from Monica's experience :blush:;)
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    hello lovely posters hope you are all having a nice evening
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The breaks between programs are getting as long as ITV
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    hello lovely posters hope you are all having a nice evening

How you feeling Planets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's Mr Darcy and Sealdavide tonight isn't it?
  • Options
    eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EllieG wrote: »
    Bonsoir :)

Polish sausage for me tonight - but not three ways, learnt from Monica's experience :blush:;)

You're polishing your sausage tonight?:D

Evening peeps. Smilies look a bit weird to me now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if I like either of these two chefs :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    How you feeling Planets?

still bedbound but not too bad thanks badcat....hoping there's no unsavoury looking dishes tonight though!!!! thanks for asking hope all well with you!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    it's Mr Darcy and Sealdavide tonight isn't it?

Unfair, Mr Darcy has home advantage :D (hate these smilies grrrrr)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a Nice Chef or Nasty Chef?
  • Options
    EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    eggplant wrote: »
    You're polishing your sausage tonight?:D

Evening peeps. Smilies look a bit weird to me now.

:D

I can't tell the blooming things apart, they all just merge into one yellow blob (bit like some of the cooking we've seen) :mad: (that's apparently "mad" - looks slightly unsure to me)