Comments

• Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Great Train Robbery

The Moors Murders.

Kennedy Assassination.

Cuban Missile crisis.

I was in my teens when News broke on the above so have very clear memory of the events.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    The loss of HMS Affray (submarine) in 1951 is the earliest I can remember. I was 7.

I was born the day it sank. I even mentioned it in another thread.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68345427&postcount=90
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple more

Louise Woodward

Bill Clinton resigning

Oj Simpson court case

Michael Jackson (original sex allegations )

(Bit of a bleak one here but a paedophile called Sidney Cooke who killed a rent boy :(
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    As a child - The feeling of betrayal when Churchill having led the nation through 6 years of war, was rejected in the 1946 election.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princess Diana's death

9/11

Foot & Mouth disease

Kosovo

Sarah Payne

Holly and Jessica

George W Bush becoming president
  • soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Hillsborough disaster (remember seeing that on tv).

Gulf war (My brother collected loads of newspaper cut outs and made a scrap book all about it, I found that rather frightening to be honest).

James Bulger (that really stuck out in my mind as I was the same age as the killers, and just couldn't believe two kids my age could do that to a baby! ..that horrified me! ..still does.

Manchester bombing..., I actually heard that from my house and remember my dad saying "that was a bomb!" (My dad is an ex soldier) ... That was a scary day being so young at that time.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) The Yorkshire Ripper - specifically when he killed a lady in hospital grounds of the hospital my mother worked in.

2) The SAS storming the Iranian embassy. I remember it being a Sunday night & I had to go to school the next day. A Newsflash cut into the programme we were watching & it was on for ages.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall the link-up of the Russian Soyuz space shuttle with the US Apollo one, in orbit, in 1975; also the probe that landed on Mars in 1976, and sent television pictures back to earth. I recall seeing the pictures captured by the latter, and being disappointed there were no Martian beings appearing in them, being a science-fiction/space obsessive at age seven!
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very vividly remember, when I was 9, the story of Maria Colwell, a child who was killed through cruelty and neglect by her mother and stepfather. I read the story in the Daily Mirror and it was my first introduction to the notion that parents could harm their children. I have since read a lot more about Maria and this case was one of the first which prompted changes to childrens social services. It's the only news story I have any memory of as a child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Kobe earthquake vividly - if only because whilst the news was on my nan asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. Being the unassuming, non-ambitious child I was, I said I wanted to be the Prime Minister of the world :blush: My dad then asked me what I would do as Prime Minister of the world - and the first thing I said was that I would repair all the damage that was on the news.

I also remember Princess Di's death, mainly how boring it was that everyone was going on about it. Didn't get the big deal at the time. And I vaguely remember news reports about Bosnia, but had no idea what was actually going on.
  • RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A boy my age at the time (9 or 10) going missing from home, and being found dead somewhere in the country after several days, apparently through natural causes not homicide, the boy having run away by himself

As soon as I read this I thought his name was Lester, then got to this post.
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    The first news story I remember vividly was the missing school boy Lester Chapman and then him being found dead in river silt by a rubbish tip.

Such a sad story, I must be the same age as you because I remember it as well.

First political memory was of a programme I wanted to watch - I don't know exactly, Barbapapa or Wacky Races or something - being taken off to show coverage of Harold Wilson resigning. I wasn't very happy! I also remember something called 'Sex Discrimination Act' and having a vague idea it was something rude.

Foreign names seemed to stick in my mind: Aldo Morro, he was an Italian politician kidnapped and found shot; Amoco Cadiz was an oil tanker that sank and all the oil got washed up on a beach in France.

I remember rabies scares, really horrible adverts showing a man in a hospital bed writhing around in pain, then a vicious dog showing its teeth.

Elvis dying, but I wasn't sure who Elvis was - Elvis Costello was starting to become well known around the same time so I assumed it was him who had died!
    Got really confused when he kept releasing new songs... :D

I was always getting confused like that, at Wimbledon I heard them talking about Billie Jean King, but when I saw the scoreboard on the telly it said 'Mrs LW King', so I assumed I kept hearing them wrong and her name was actually Lily Wean King. :D

I remember my mother and sister gathering round the telly to watch Wimbledon every summer, a phrase that sticks in my mind is "we don't like Stan Smith". I don't know why they didn't like Stan Smith - I remember buying a pair of trainers with his name on when I was a teenager, and remembering again that mum didn't like Stan Smith, but I've never thought to ask either of them why. From what I've read, and I don't remember anything about his playing, he wasn't one of those troublemakers like McEnroe or Nastase. :confused:
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Michael Jackson reports in the 90s?

Me too. I was convinced Jordan Chandler was a lying little git but the Martin Bashier (spelling?) documentary and the fresh allegations years later made me eat my words.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Diana's death and 9/11
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Surprised no-one's earliest memories were Thatcher resigning

I remember Thatcher resigning 'cos it meant there were no lunchtime kids programmes on that day and I was livid. I was only about five or six and I just remember sulking at the TV because boring politicians were on.

To be so innocent....:cry:
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Me too. I was convinced Jordan Chandler was a lying little git but the Martin Bashier (spelling?) documentary and the fresh allegations years later made me eat my words.

Of course the fact he was acquitted of all charges doesn't matter?
  • RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Thatcher resigning 'cos it meant there were no lunchtime kids programmes on that day and I was livid. I was only about five or six and I just remember sulking at the TV because boring politicians were on.

To be so innocent....:cry:

Kids always lose out! Just the same with Harold Wilson, don't these politicians want kids to have any fun?! :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the Yorkshire Ripper was eventually caught i will always remember there was a chap at my workplace who had the misfortune of being a Sutcliffe double.....even to his slightly dark skin tone and identical beard style.

He'd actually been taken in by Police for questioning before the real Sutcliffe was caught.

Pretty spooky feeling looking at the guy on my workplace!
  • Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The resurrection of Jesus Christ our Saviour.
    :cool:

James Bulger
    Stephen Lawrence
    Rachel Nickell
    Berlin Wall
    Sarajevo
    Nelson Mandela
    Gulf War
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The black panther
    Lord Lucan disappearing
    Decimalisation
    Princess Anne getting married
    Evel Knieval flinging himself over a canyon or something on a motorbike
    A plane hijacking that went on for some days - I don't think everyone came out of that one alive
    Sugar rationing due to a shortage for some reason
    Nikki Lauda's motor racing accident
    The drought of '76
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nest wrote: »
    I very vividly remember, when I was 9, the story of Maria Colwell, a child who was killed through cruelty and neglect by her mother and stepfather. I read the story in the Daily Mirror and it was my first introduction to the notion that parents could harm their children. I have since read a lot more about Maria and this case was one of the first which prompted changes to childrens social services. It's the only news story I have any memory of as a child.

That's awful. I don't remember that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Maria_Colwell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Lawrence
    Rachel Nickell
    Berlin Wall
    Nelson Mandela

All of these, yes. Nelson Mandela being freed was an especially powerful image that stuck with me, even though I didn't really know what was going on at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    The hungerford shooting
    Jeremy Bamber shooting dead his family
    Kings cross fire
    John Lennon being murdered
  • tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Falklands War
    Miners Strike
    80's Royal Weddings
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    Surprisingly.......an awful lot. I am not exaggerating. When Saddam was executed...it was BBC2 and a repeat of Dr.Who was on. A purple banner went across the screen saying breaking news on BBC2. It actually terrified me, I was that young and up that late at night and then staying up to watch that.

Channel 4 bomb scare.....Gos live eviction was scapped, Channel 4 ident for a long time with scary music then repeat of either Friends or Simpsons.

Tsunami is also a memorable one. Seeing that on T.V....I still remember the graphics and the Newsround graphics showing that wave going across buildings and explain about tectonic plate activity (I think it was used again for Japan).

Thailand coup in 2006, I remember watching ITV that night.

Queen mother passing as well. Unliike others, I was watching Channel 5 at that time and it was one of those family comedies with Adam Sandler. I don't know the name but it was about a monkey going into space and then it interrupted, had the graphics and the news came up.

Strangely I don't remember 9/11 coverage though. I do remember 7/7 coverage. The map and everything. I definitely remember London 2012 announcment :) the day afterwards...:(.

I remember Iraq very well and get a lot of nostalgia from thinking about it. Being in school and our teacher talking about it to us in class. I remember bits of Osama dieing and all the people shouting "USA USA" outside the White House....and then the big internet row over whether we should be celebrating someones death or not (oh if they knew what would happen when Thatcher went :rolleyes:.

Liquid bomber is also a memory....anything to do with an airport, a plane or Thailand. Coverage of the SARS as well.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't have a telly (or a fridge or a phone!) when I was little, but we listened to Radio 4, and I remember the story of a lady called Muriel McQuire going missing. It was the main story for a long time. I remember the Richard Nixon going to China. I remember Watergate but I was in France at the time so I only understood part of it, my French wasn't brilliant. A replica of Princess Anne's wedding dress was in the window of Grey's in Bull Street, Birmingham right by the number 91 bus stop, back to Pheasey estate.