Buying both PS4 and Xbox One?

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know PCs moved on but I remember having to have a few different autoexec boot files to hand depending on the game I wanted to play. Lol
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Yeah that £350 (excluding games and accessories) and the £300 i'm spends on an Xbox one with games and accessories (when i'll be willing to pay in the future) totaling £650 is the same price i could pay for a top of the range PC and keep it running the latest games for 10 years

The argument for PC gaming is that its better and cheaper but its always that better part that gets me, why would you want a PC that is only slightly better than consoles but not the best, surely you would want to own the best Gaming PC possible at all times or what is the point in even caring about that little bit better to begin with

Then comes the console exclusives, i could have the best Gaming PC ever worth £10,000 but will it play Uncharted? will it play The Last of Us? Will it play RYSE? the answer is no

In 5 years time i'll be waiting for AC10 (or whatever) on PS4 think wow that looks amazing, while the first thought for a PC gamer will be what are the specs do i need to upgrade anything, what do i need for max settings etc, i know which one is better for me

You speak from someone who has never gamed on PC. You don't even need a beast PC. Just optimize what you prefer. Framerate or graphics? With consoles you have no choice when developers choose shiny graphics nearly all the time. But if you play games for the gameplay FPS wins everytime. I'll list you some points on why PC is actually better:

Optimization - Graphical settings, resolution, controllers etc

Faster and easier to use UI

Cheaper games on release

Steam Sales, Humble Bundle etc something that even Playstation Plus cannot compete with.

No online subscriptions to play basic MP games like Call of Duty.

Mods that have increased the lifespan by a huge amount e.g. Skyrim

Higher standard of games that focus more on the gameplay/multiplayer aspect instead of the story. If I really wanted to experience something like 'The Last of Us' I'll simply watch a 'let's play' because the whole game is pretty much focused on the story anyway.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I used to enjoy PC gaming in the past. The things I really enjoyed was the mods and playing with the hardware, tweaking settings and trying to get the most out of my hardware. I would often buy new graphics cards, add memory, try beta and custom drivers and I got just as much fun out of trying to squeeze an extra couple of frame per second out of a game.

These days I just want to power on a box and load a game to play. I find consoles perfect for that. Without the hardware tweaking I found PC a lot less enjoyable. Consoles perfectly suit me these days. Although I do miss the modding a game.

To each their own...

Yeah... But consoles haven't been able to do that since the days of the PS2 generation. Sometimes with consoles you have to deal with patches etc. They are acting more and more like PCs nowadays but as a lesser version.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Yeah... But consoles haven't been able to do that since the days of the PS2 generation. Sometimes with consoles you have to deal with patches etc. They are acting more and more like PCs nowadays but as a lesser version.

I regularly fire up my console and just play a game, patches happen but are rare.

I have been there, done that with PC so I know what its like. PC suit some people, consoles suit others I don't know why PC people find that concept so hard to grasp.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I regularly fire up my console and just play a game, patches happen but are rare.

I have been there, done that with PC so I know what its like. PC suit some people, consoles suit others I don't know why PC people find that concept so hard to grasp.

Right... And you would know on a PC nowdays you can simply play a game. Just lately I had South Park ready to play. I didn't even need to pick it up.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entirely anecdotal, but know a few people who got a PS4 initially who are now getting an Xbox One as well. Reasons range from wanting XBox exclusive games to finding the PS4 "a bit boring". They all seem to be saying that they see the XBox will probably become their main console ongoing, even those that had a PS3 and 360 and mainly used the PS3.

To declare my interest, I only have a Xbox 360, but probably will get an XBox One in the next year.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't played games on a PC for years so I can't really comment, but doesn't the cost of having to upgrade and buy new graphics cards, RAM, processors etc level out the advantage of having cheap games?

The average price for a new release PC game is £30, only £10-£15 cheaper than a console game but to buy a brand new graphics card can cost up to around £500 so you would have to buy over 50 games to make up that difference on new releases by which point you'd be spending more money on upgrades.

How much does a PC gamer spend on average per year on keeping their systems up to date?
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    I haven't played games on a PC for years so I can't really comment, but doesn't the cost of having to upgrade and buy new graphics cards, RAM, processors etc level out the advantage of having cheap games?

The average price for a new release PC game is £30, only £10-£15 cheaper than a console game but to buy a brand new graphics card can cost up to around £500 so you would have to buy over 50 games to make up that difference on new releases by which point you'd be spending more money on upgrades.

How much does a PC gamer spend on average per year on keeping their systems up to date?

You don't need to upgrade every year? :confused:
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    You don't need to upgrade every year? :confused:

I'm not saying you do have to upgrade every year, I was wondering how much a PC gamer spends on their PC each year to keep it up to scratch with the new games coming out.

Or in fact, how often do you tweak your system with a new piece of hardware? How much money has been spent in total on upgrading your gaming PC?

I'm just interested to know whether the "cheaper" games are really a selling point if more money is spent on upgrades. One of my exes was a PC gamer and he was always spending lots of money on it.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying you do have to upgrade every year, I was wondering how much a PC gamer spends on their PC each year to keep it up to scratch with the new games coming out.

Or in fact, how often do you tweak your system with a new piece of hardware? How much money has been spent in total on upgrading your gaming PC?

I'm just interested to know whether the "cheaper" games are really a selling point if more money is spent on upgrades. One of my exes was a PC gamer and he was always spending lots of money on it.

I bought my gaming rig around 18 months ago. paid £1100 for it and haven't upgraded it all all.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Right... And you would know on a PC nowdays you can simply play a game. Just lately I had South Park ready to play. I didn't even need to pick it up.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. With PC they have upgraded parts, custom drivers and tweakable settings, I tend to get carried away with these things and find them a distraction to my gaming. When I played PC I was always think I can get more out of this, if I just add this graphics card or that memory or tweak those drivers I can run my game faster and with better settings. Console take all that away and so for me its just a lot easier as the temptation is not there.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Yay. Another thread that turned into consoles vs pc gaming when it had nothing to do with the thread.

Well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my gaming rig around 18 months ago. paid £1100 for it and haven't upgraded it all all.

I bought ps3 for about 300 at the time and ps4 for 350, so still have 450 out that to buy the next gen coming by my reckoning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I bought ps3 for about 300 at the time and ps4 for 350, so still have 450 out that to buy the next gen coming by my reckoning

The point being I haven't needed to upgrade. It's a myth that PC's need upgrading all the time.

btw. I have 360/PS3 and PS4 too :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah if you buy top end it should last a while. However if you buy medium it probably would need upgraded.
    I do think it possibly shows the pc isn't catering for everything though if you've backed that up with other consoles.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past I've bought, basically, all the consoles. I like the idea of knowing that whatever game comes out I'll always have the hardware ready.

This time around, partly due to a declining amount of free time, I initially went PS4 only - best option for me as the best place for multi-plats, a clear focus on gaming, PS Vita integration, PS+ and some amazing Sony franchises. Then I picked up a Wii U for the games you simply can't get anywhere else. I'm still holding off on Xbox One for now, but as soon as that killer-app lands I just know I'll be grabbing one of those too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Yeah if you buy top end it should last a while. However if you buy medium it probably would need upgraded.
    I do think it possibly shows the pc isn't catering for everything though if you've backed that up with other consoles.

no Uncharted or Killzone so I had to get PS3/PS4 too lol. I do wish that Sony would release some of their big titles on PC too but I can't see that ever happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant either with pcs being associated with Microsoft.

However this is why I hate MS for buying up things like titanfall. Its only us gamers that suffer
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One more for the argument :p some people don't have to room for a decent pc :p
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People who spend money all the time are doing it wrong, a well thought out system can last two or three years without any upgrades. Usually the big upgrades come when new consoles are released because the minimum/recommended specs go up but this time that isn't the case, this new generation is so weak anyone with a half decent PC now need not worry about upgrading at all.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PC compliments my console, do you realise how many games of the PS3/360 generation that I can play with PS4 graphics? :D Who needs backward compatibility when you own a PC :D:D

I bought Thief on the PS4 as the benefits of buying on PC were minimal, price aside, but I bought it on sale so it was actually cheaper than on Steam :D

I'm a console gamer at heart but I can see the benefits of having a PC at hand, especially now, as the PS4/X1 have limited games.

The Xbox One is becoming more appealing, MS seem to be getting the UI sorted and adding lots of features and its getting cheaper all the time, will buy the X1 at 299.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll end up getting an XB1 at some point (probz 2015) so all bases are covered. The main one being the 'exclusives' and the PC comes into it's own when the game is an multi format release as the PC version is usually cheaper. So owning all 3 is a must :)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never ever spent that much on a graphics card! Your just going off that myth that PC gaming is expensive again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So for the cost £1100 you got a decent gaming PC that you won't need to upgrade for the entire lifespan of the current generation and that is some how cheaper than £350 for a console that i won't need to upgrade ever :confused:
    jim_uk wrote: »
    People who spend money all the time are doing it wrong, a well thought out system can last two or three years without any upgrades. Usually the big upgrades come when new consoles are released because the minimum/recommended specs go up but this time that isn't the case, this new generation is so weak anyone with a half decent PC now need not worry about upgrading at all.

Two to three years but there are so many people mentioning the myths of needing to upgrade and that there current set ups will work for the entire 10 years of the PS4 and now you say a well thought out system will last 3 years :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    So for the cost £1100 you got a decent gaming PC that you won't need to upgrade for the entire lifespan of the current generation and that is some how cheaper than £350 for a console that i won't need to upgrade ever :confused:

Two to three years but there are so many people mentioning the myths of needing to upgrade and that there current set ups will work for the entire 10 years of the PS4 and now you say a well thought out system will last 3 years :confused:

Yeah our hardware costs more but we make the savings with our games. It pays for itself in the long run.