Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Whose 'RQ' and Richard? :confused:
    Richard Quest, the excitable guy on CNN. He usually hosts Quest Means Business, and knows a lot re airlines too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NN chaps and chapesses, as I'm off for another kip, but hope tomorrow brings lots of interesting news, from anywhere. ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't go yet, as RQ is back and says the Bay Of Bengal search will go ahead,as they have to in the absence of any evidence....and the Malaysians are going to give a delayed Press Conference at midnight.

Darn it, going to bed, and will read what the Malaysians say later in the day.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Richard Quest, the excitable guy on CNN. He usually hosts Quest Means Business, and knows a lot re airlines too. :D
    Never heard of him!!

I don't have CNN which is probably why. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of him!!

Shame, as CNN are good to watch, along with some of their anchor people, like fit Anderson. :D Have a peek in their online site:) nn
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Richard is pretty good on Cnn.

I think I remember him years ago on bbc doing the business in the mornings.

How he know a lot about airlines and planes I dunno but he is very knowledgeable and great to watch on CNN
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame, as CNN are good to watch, along with some of their anchor people, like fit Anderson. :D Have a peek in their online site:) nn
    Well if 'fit' Anderson is a bloke.....he won't appeal to me because i'm not gay. But i confess to having a major crush on Kaplinsky when she first hit the News desk. :D:D:cool:
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Interesting couple of paragraphs:

Mr Akers, from Wetherby, North Yorkshire, said: 'There are a lot of theories around at the moment but that is wreckage from flight MH370.

'As to why the ship would have passed it by or not reported it, I do believe there could be something more sinister going on the authorities may not be telling us.
    Akers' previous conspiracy theory involves the HMAS Sydney (II) - an Australian Navy light cruiser lost in 1941, and finally located in 2008 - or not, if you choose to believe Akers! He claims that was a different ship, and that he found the real ship in 2007, by peering at satellite images.

I suspect he's chosen to offer the media an alternative view about MH370 simply in order to gain publicity for his claims about the HMAS Sydney. I couldn't find anything that looked remotely credible about either matter on his website.

Another warning sign is that he always uses "we" when it seems that he really means "I". This appears to be a ploy to persuade people that his theories are not believed only by himself.

Oh, and based on my knowledge of physics, this sounds like complete bollocks:

"Mr Akers’ search method combines images from different parts of the light spectrum. Using software he developed, he said he’s able to look 10,000 feet under the sea."
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    odz1 wrote: »
    Richard is pretty good on Cnn.

I think I remember him years ago on bbc doing the business in the mornings.

How he know a lot about airlines and planes I dunno but he is very knowledgeable and great to watch on CNN

Is he the shouty one? If so he scares me a bit.
  • Options
    indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Thanks, but do you know when Echo and Tireless finished their current search, and are they on their way back to port? Haven't had a chance to check them out, but do hope they have something to report. :)

Echo finished just over a week ago. Tireless I'm not too sure but around the same time. They are both going back to their regular duties.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Akers' previous conspiracy theory involves the HMAS Sydney (II) - an Australian Navy light cruiser lost in 1941, and finally located in 2008 - or not, if you choose to believe Akers! He claims that was a different ship, and that he found the real ship in 2007, by peering at satellite images.

I suspect he's chosen to offer the media an alternative view about MH370 simply in order to gain publicity for his claims about the HMAS Sydney. I couldn't find anything that looked remotely credible about either matter on his website.

Another warning sign is that he always uses "we" when it seems that he really means "I". This appears to be a ploy to persuade people that his theories are not believed only by himself.

Oh, and based on my knowledge of physics, this sounds like complete bollocks:

"Mr Akers’ search method combines images from different parts of the light spectrum. Using software he developed, he said he’s able to look 10,000 feet under the sea."

Software? That smacks of the old Hollywood cliche in which a super-sleuth takes a grainy photo and instructs the computer whizz to "zoom in" on one tiny area so they can read the date on a newspaper in the background! If the data isn't on the image in the first place, you won't find it with software!

I'm really struggling to understand the MH370 claims on the guy's website. :confused:

http://www.australias-titanic.com/malaysian-flight-mh370/

If I put the coordinates of the oil rig into Google Earth, I get the following ...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/8%C2%B022%2730.2%22N+108%C2%B042%2722.3%22E/@8.7466819,106.4068623,537019m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

The guy on the rig states that his observation was 260-275 degrees from his position (so almost due west), roughly 50km away, and the plane was either coming towards him, flying away, or falling straight down ... so it was on an east-west line from his point..

He also said the sea was 225-230 degrees which is pretty much south west. He said the wind is NE-ENE (so it's coming from that direction and blowing towards the south west).

Akers then shows an image of the crash site with a marker which is hundreds of kilometers north of the position of the east-west line on which the guy saw something. How on earth would debris get there in two days? :confused:

http://www.australias-titanic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/MH370-Yellow-Marker.jpg

I've already mentioned that the colours in the "debris" image are wrong ... and as for the "cockpit windows" ... how can anyway say those are cockpit windows from a plane? He claims the angle of the windows "gives them away". Really?

http://www.australias-titanic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/MH370-Cockpit-Windows.jpg

How about the additional "window" up and to the right of the two he's marked with arrows ... the one that's deeper, offset and set slightly farther away? I guess he must have ignored that one because it doesn't fit in with his theory!

http://rantsofasassystew.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/malaysiaairlinescrash.jpg
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Never heard of him!!

I don't like him, he's a bit too shouty for me.

Apparently Richard Quest interviewed the co-pilot a couple of weeks before MH370 disappeared. Spooky!
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-mh370-tragedy-font-hisham-s-statement-1.585441

According to Hisham's statement, there are now 3 naval ships surveying the Bay of Bengal area.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-mh370-tragedy-font-hisham-s-statement-1.585441

According to Hisham's statement, there are now 3 naval ships surveying the Bay of Bengal area.

What a waste of everyone's time and effort, completely pointless! The Bay of Bengal claims have been considered and dismissed by the JACC Australia search team. Are the Malaysians etc. now going to send ships out to investigate every pathetic conspiracy theory we've heard about, anyone for Diego Garcia? <rolleyes>

The claims are a PR stunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    What a waste of everyone's time and effort, completely pointless! The Bay of Bengal claims have been considered and dismissed by the JACC Australia search team. Are the Malaysians etc. now going to send ships out to investigate every pathetic conspiracy theory we've heard about, anyone for Diego Garcia? <rolleyes>

The claims are a PR stunt.

I guess they've nothing to lose. If they didn't do it, there would be in for even more criticism.

The Bangladesh Navy are undertaking the search, and if GeoResonance are as good as they claim, they should be able to go straight to it.

Nothing found so far though!

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-mh370-tragedy-font-no-plane-wreckage-in-bay-of-bengal-1.585259

* EDIT * Ocean Shield looks like she's on her way home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess they've nothing to lose. If they didn't do it, there would be in for even more criticism.

The Bangladesh Navy are undertaking the search, and if GeoResonance are as good as they claim, they should be able to go straight to it.

Nothing found so far though!

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-mh370-tragedy-font-no-plane-wreckage-in-bay-of-bengal-1.585259

Wise words from the Malaysian Acting Transport Minister:
    Hishammuddin said he at first was looking at the possibility of getting an appropriate vessel to search the area to confirm that lead.

"But, I just want to stress that by doing that, we are distracting ourselves from the main search.

"If we went there and the result from the search was negative, who is going to be responsible for that loss of time? Having more vessels out there (Bay of Bengal) will affect the search in the (current) area," he added.

- See more at: http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-mh370-tragedy-font-no-plane-wreckage-in-bay-of-bengal-1.585259#sthash.9EL2luhh.dpuf

Oh no!!! The cupboard is bare! ("Ocean Shield returned to port on Friday...") :o:(

Big meeting next week between Malaysia, Australia and China, in Canberra. We should learn more about the next steps after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no!!! The cupboard is bare!!! :o:(
    Hmmm.....linky doesn't work d@ve but apart from crew change i'd have thought replenishment of supplies and fuel for Ocean Shield a simple enough task to sort out at sea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm.....linky doesn't work d@ve but apart from crew change i'd have thought replenishment of supplies and fuel for Ocean Shield a simple enough task to sort out at sea.

Had major formatting problems! :o All fixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had major formatting problems! :o All fixed.
    Oooo......formatting 'fun' eh? I had to do my first format on 8 a few months ago.....very very different to XP!

Looks like they are set in for the long haul then. No expense spared. A horrible thought this but when they do eventually find it, i doubt there will be any bodies. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh no!!! The cupboard is bare! ("Ocean Shield returned to port on Friday...") :o:(

According to MarineTraffic Ocean Shield is still on her way, and quite some distance from the coast, pootling along at a stately 11 knots. In fact, judging by her course, she seems to be taking the scenic route!

The Malaysian Six Golden Flowers and Chinese Hai Xun 01 are still shown out in the boondocks, as expected. No idea where the other Chinese ships went. If I can remember their names, I'll look 'em up!

Cesar Chavez is well up the Australian coast now, but still with no destination listed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No idea where the other Chinese ships went. If I can remember their names, I'll look 'em up!.

Nan Hai Jiu 115 shown as parked up off the south coast of Malaysia as of the 18th April.
    Dong Hai Jiu 101 shown between Sumatra and Java as of the 21st April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nan Hai Jiu 115 shown as parked up off the south coast of Malaysia as of the 18th April.
    Dong Hai Jiu 101 shown between Sumatra and Java as of the 21st April.
    Must have run out of noodles? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you been petitioning the Fremantle Harbourmaster, BG?

After your comment about the "unearthly hour" Echo was due to leave, it's been changed again ... to 14:00 Perth time (07:00 UK time) on the 4th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you been petitioning the Fremantle Harbourmaster, BG?

After your comment about the "unearthly hour" Echo was due to leave, it's been changed again ... to 14:00 Perth time (07:00 UK time) on the 4th.
    I did try! :cool:

But even 0700hr is 'land of nod' for me! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if 'fit' Anderson is a bloke.....he won't appeal to me because i'm not gay. But i confess to having a major crush on Kaplinsky when she first hit the News desk. :D:D:cool:

It doesn't matter to me whether he's gay or not, as he still looks good, with a personality to match, which is a rarity these days, especially on tv, where most of them are so bland. Speaking from what I see on my telly. :) Don't know who this Kaplinsky is.

Had a look at Marine traffic a few minutes ago, and saw some ships close to Chennai, and one was Tiger( something, forgot rest of name), and it looked like a search ship to me, while rest were cargo and tankers, but this Tiger something suddenly vanished. Think they're in the wrong area, but I expect they'll find out soon enough. :)
This discussion has been closed.