Toya has a law degree?

Comments

• clandestinyclandestiny Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, knowing the capital of countries isn't a reliable indicator of intelligence.

Just because you don't know the capital of a few major countries on the planet, doesn't mean you aren't well informed with world news, etc and what not.

7 year olds know the capital of Japan. How is it possible for somebody to be "well informed with world news" but not know the capital city of the major players in the world news? Surely the world news would mention the names of cities and countries now and again.
    Face it, she is another in a long line of Big Brother phonies, just like Toya, Steven, Marlon, Danielle... basically ALL of them..
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she mentioned her law degree by 22, did she then insult Marlon by saying "22 and working in optics yeah yeah" or along those lines. I found that comment a bit harsh. Marlon has been an idiot in some of the things he says, but when I was 22 I was working as an admin (still am) and I started studying for a degree with the OU when I was 24.
    At least Marlon has a job, having a law degree (or any degree) doesn't put you on a pedestal of intelligence.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Oh and here was me thinking I was just amongst a very rare breed of mad and/or jealous people. :D :rolleyes: Exactly everything you've said! I think any person that has experience with people and is actually in-touch with reality can tell there's more chance of peace in Syria than this bird having studied and graduated in law.

This isn't pigeon-holing or labeling either, because not every person is the same and I appreciate that. Every gay person isn't going to be camp just as equally not every former law student is going to be contrived and calculated in their natural behaviour, but there are JUST FAR TOO many distinct differences between what someone who's just studied an intense course like law would be like and the way Toya is. She JUST finished it. It's impossible to switch that quickly to this different way of thinking.

Only last year she was doing dissertations and how-many people do you know that studied law and after graduating didn't take the year off? Who would be able to cope with going immediately into the big brother house? Anybody who's just worked their arse off would want some much needed down-time.

I can see your point, but Marco Sabba was a law student when he went into bb5. His barking seal noises, taunting dancing, etc, must have been quite a switch from how he'd been when studying. And for many of the people who'd want to become HMs, BB probably seems a good break from working their arse off.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    I can see your point, but Marco Sabba was a law student when he went into bb5. His barking seal noises, taunting dancing, etc, must have been quite a switch from how he'd been when studying. And for many of the people who'd want to become HMs, BB probably seems a good break from working their arse off.

Marco also admitted that he regretted doing the bb experience and has since successfully put it behind him.
  • MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not only the behavior that people are noticing with regards to her not being educated.

It's the lack of vocabulary, the lack of grammar, the inability to string together coherent sentences, the accent variations, the bad language ect.
    And wasting her time blogging on the internet about beauty tips.

I think most people think that the least an education can do is elevate a person beyond being so superficial and beyond being so volatile. It should provide some perspective and some inner self awareness surely?

Exactly, brilliant post.
  • Desy BoyDesy Boy Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marco. Big Brother 5. Shrill banshee. Law student.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True and that's a fair observation. Although, I could argue most of that bloke's antics were for show and want of coming over/across as entertaining.

I don't agree BB could seem like a good break from working their arse off. Big Brother's been going for many, many years and everybody knows how much potential scrutiny house-mates come under once they're out the house. A law student would rationally be able to see a several week potential stay in the BB house may involve a little bit of stress, considering the nature of how big-brother operates. Tasks, arguments, people leaving you become close to etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 year olds know the capital of Japan. How is it possible for somebody to be "well informed with world news" but not know the capital city of the major players in the world news? Surely the world news would mention the names of cities and countries now and again.
    Face it, she is another in a long line of Big Brother phonies, just like Toya, Steven, Marlon, Danielle... basically ALL of them..

I've always sensed Steven as effortlessly smart.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couple of points.

Marco was still a student.

BB then and BB now are very different programs.

Marco came across that he was playing and that he was very immature. Toya is presenting herself as the "finished article".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of points.

Marco was still a student.

BB then and BB now are very different programs.

Marco came across that he was playing and that he was very immature. Toya is presenting herself as the "finished article".

:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toya is a prime reason why I don't judge people on their academic achievements. Maybe applaud them for hard work and dedication but I've met too many numbskulls with degrees spouting crap all day while some of the most insightful and intelligent individuals work as plumbers. Toya with a degree wouldn't surprise me as it is a basic requirement for many Nigerian families. Whether she transfer a knowledge of tort to an empathetic understanding of others' feelings or what people call 'emotional intelligence' is obviously not supported by her nonsensical behaviour in the house. Marco is a perfect example of how working in a profession like law equips you far more than simply studying the theory.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not only the behavior that people are noticing with regards to her not being educated.

It's the lack of vocabulary, the lack of grammar, the inability to string together coherent sentences, the accent variations, the bad language ect.
    And wasting her time blogging on the internet about beauty tips.

I think most people think that the least an education can do is elevate a person beyond being so superficial and beyond being so volatile. It should provide some perspective and some inner self awareness surely?

But none of these things would make me presume she was lying about actually having a law degree. And many of the things you list (accent variations, volatility, perspective and inner self-awareness) tend to come with maturity rather than through education.

Her communication seems to be a lot more muddled when she is angry or flustered - she's a lot better when she is calm.

As others have said, there are degrees and there are degrees, and I can't imagine that she was top of her class, or that she will consider (at present) continuing any further with it, but I don't doubt that she did it. It seems such a silly lie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desy Boy wrote: »
    Toya is a prime reason why I don't judge people on their academic achievements. Maybe applaud them for hard work and dedication but I've met too many numbskulls with degrees spouting crap all day while some of the most insightful and intelligent individuals work as plumbers. Toya with a degree wouldn't surprise me as it is a basic requirement for many Nigerian families. Whether she transfer a knowledge of tort to an empathetic understanding of others' feelings or what people call 'emotional intelligence' is obviously not supported by her nonsensical behaviour in the house. Marco is a perfect example of how working in a profession like law equips you far more than simply studying the theory.

Well said, especially the last part which is very observant. I have met many people who have a "law degree" but between that stage and becoming a trainee solicitor or doing the Barrister pupilage there is yet miles of learning to take on. The worlds of practising and studying the theory of practising are the differentiating point!!
  • GrandmotherGrandmother Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've got a law degree (from a jolly good university, I'll have everyone know!) and it's not actually that big of a deal. As long as you can be bothered to put in a month or so's work before your exams in the summer, you can pretty much goof off for the rest of the year. One of the courses I studied was Medicine, Law and Ethics, and in spite of not going to a single lecture (they took place at nine on Friday morning - to hell with that) I still got a 2:1.
  • Underground manUnderground man Posts: 493
    Forum Member

Anyone who saw Marco's late night conversations with Victor will know he was highly intelligent.

I suppose without the live coverage it's difficult to get to know any other side of Toya than the one they show us.
  • Underground manUnderground man Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    chavet wrote: »
    There's been a massive change in what makes people academically successful, though. About twenty years ago, in Scotland, there was a shift away from core skills such as spelling, grammar, sound construction, etc., towards 'capturing the essence' and 'expression' and coursework. Coupled with that, there's been a change in society's attitudes, whereby people now feel entitled to things on the basis of ambition (rather than aptitude e.g. popstars, presenters, writers who don't write their own material). This was something that was prevalent when I was at university, where people didn't think that their inability to do, or understand, the work should be an obstacle to them getting the highest marks in the class.

As someone who now tutors people with learning disabilities, I can see the disadvantages they might face in an assessment structure that might not be able to capture how intelligent or competent they are, but all we've really been left with is a decline across the board. More recently, I've discovered that some bright spark seems to have decided that the traditional method of learning times tables was, like, 'too rote, man', so, instead, schools have only taught pupils to add on the numbers until they get to the answer, so if you ask what 11 x 11 is, they need to go: 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 110, 121, which makes maths exams incredibly difficult in so many ways, let alone life.

I posted this video earlier of a National Debate Contest in America...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jomFmN1tFSw

Something has gone seriously wrong with any education system that can produce this. And I suspect whatever did produce it is - to varying degrees - going on all over the world.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a law degree (from a jolly good university, I'll have everyone know!) and it's not actually that big of a deal. As long as you can be bothered to put in a month or so's work before your exams in the summer, you can pretty much goof off for the rest of the year. One of the courses I studied was Medicine, Law and Ethics, and in spite of not going to a single lecture (they took place at nine on Friday morning - to hell with that) I still got a 2:1.

Thank-you for this - I think people are putting a law degree on a very high pedestal and associating all sorts of qualities and attributes with it.
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdcage wrote: »
    Marco also admitted that he regretted doing the bb experience and has since successfully put it behind him.

to be fair he did act like a fool though. there is a difference between being on tv and acting like an insane clown... take fight night where he dances like a court jester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Thank-you for this - I think people are putting a law degree on a very high pedestal and associating all sorts of qualities and attributes with it.

Amen to that.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was it assessed on exams only?

How did you get the material for the module you missed? Did they not penalise you for non attendance?
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she has, she probably bought it on the Internet as she's 29 yet didn't know what the word 'veto' meant. And probably still doesn't...
  • Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    chavet wrote: »
    I think the distinction is that the law degree is the LLB and 'law school' refers to the postgraduate part (especially since she says she trained as a lawyer). Kim just has the LLB part, as far as I know.

She's said law degree and business masters. She most likely has a Bachelors in Business Law and a MBA. She would still have the option to take the Bar and practice law in the US if she wanted, because not every state requires law school to be a licensed attorney. If you can pass the test, you're in. She would (like any other attorney), be restricted to the states where she's passed, so she'd still have to go to law school for any state that requires it to take the exam.

Ultimately, that's a bad idea, though. The US has more law school graduates than it has jobs for them, and right now, law school is nothing but a gigantic debt you'll spend 30 years paying off without ever working as an attorney (which is also why she's probably going to stick with Playboy as long as she can. Business school isn't as expensive, but she probably still has a good $60-80k in student loan debt for the full 6 or 7 years).
  • yipgumyipgum Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    A degree in law just means a Bachelor's degree focussing on Law here in Canada ( you can have a degree in fine arts) which takes three years then you do months to years of articling and then have to pass the bar exam.
    JFK Jr. who wasn't the brightest guy took it three times before h e finally passed it.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see her kicking off in court
  • HelenbemerryHelenbemerry Posts: 5,738
    Forum Member
    Desy Boy wrote: »
    Yes there are degrees and there are law degrees. All I'm saying is that some posters here seem to be placing the fact that she is Nigerian with getting a dodgy degree. They couldn't be further from the truth and I find it personally insulting to come to some conclusion that relates being Nigerian to a lack of education. In fact most people who have been to uni would refute that as they probably would have been surrounded by West Africans studying.

In either case, personal indignation over, booksmarts are very different from street smarts. You talk one way, you write another. We are long past Pygmalion in 2014.

I think most people are shocked that she has a law degree because she isn't very intelligent, not that she's Nigerian