Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Nancy, Martha and Richard were the stand-outs for me last night, in a number of ways. The Thyme & Lemon cakes especially were slightly off-kilter but I loved the idea. Norman's matter of fact, no nonsense presentation was also quite endearing. He reminded me ever-so slightly of Howard from last year but I couldn't tell you how!

I knew it'd be between Claire and Jordan, too. Claire just seemed to be existing on nervous energy and Jordan didn't really have a decent round, did he.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed last night a lot.

Really like, so far, Nancy, Martha, builder bloke (who may or may not be called Richard) and Norman.

Really not keen on Jordan, sorry, I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, kind to grannies and rescues puppies and kittens on a regular basis, but I can't get Colin Hunt from The Fast Show out of my head every time I see him
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    From what I've seen it appears to be a kind of Bake Off does Strictly It Takes Two... There will be an interview with the leaving contestant and some filming which didn't make the final programme and some guests in the studio with Jo Brand.

I'll give it a whirl this week and then see what I think

I think it's meant to be more like The Apprentice: You're Fired... Interview with leaving baker, live audience, clips from next week's show, unseen footage of this week's show, panellists etc.

Last night I like Nancy, Martha, Kate, Chetna, Norman, Iain, Enwezor... What the hell, I liked most of them :D
    Wasn't so keen on Jordan, though, sorry Jordan :(
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the format of the Friday show? Am hoping we get to see some of the contestants from previous years, a few insights into the selection process and some filming not shown on the main part of the show

Previous contestants would be great rather than celebs who don't actually watch GBBO but are there because they've got something to promote.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Martha. She looks like she goes to St Elmo's and has midnight feasts with The Four Marys. I also liked Nancy. I loved the way she just got with it and crushed her nuts when they went a bit wrong and pretended they were meant to be that way all along. It's that kind of sang froid that won us the war.

I find hair-slides on anyone over the age of seven a bit creepy. I'm also not sure about Iain's beard. Beards just remind me of Mr Twit and that puts me off the thought of food.

BIB - Even females? :confused: Oh well, that's me at 47 creepy then, according to you! But I'd rather wear hair slides and be able to tame my holds-no-style, fly-away, poker-straight, sticks-to-my-head-if too short/won't-grow-long-enough-to put-in-a-hairband hair behind my ears than show it to the world in its un-pinned state, so I guess in that case I'm creepy! My 16 year old daughter too, come to that, who's sadly inherited my 'follicular' peculiarities!

I enjoyed the programme last night - it was a toss-up between Claire and Jordan because of their mistakes. My 16 year old (also a keen baker) loves Martha - she'd like to see her go a lot further, as would I! But no particular favourite - to me the baking is the key thing, not any one person, either positively or negatively!

At the risk of being called naive, I just don't see this 'agenda' being talked about in terms of 'consciously choosing' certain people to be on the show. But then, I don't look for it, either - and I'm not sure why other people do? I like baking (and cooking in general) and I do a lot of it (and get paid for it sometimes) and I watch to see others who enjoy doing it, and marvel at their ability to put themselves forward on TV to be critiqued - something my shyness would never let me do, no matter how often I'm paid to bake for others!

(And if I did, I'm afraid I'd be like Ruby in terms of always apologising for my mistakes even if I haven't made any - it's just my default setting, and comes with being innately devoid of any self-confidence. Who'd want to ripped apart as a person by strangers just for having traits that others don't care to understand? Not me, that's for sure!)

Oh, and I'm another one wondering at the strange scheduling of the companion show - it should be run like 'The Apprentice' with one following the other! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad they haven't tried to change anything a la Masterchef from a few years ago. Really enjoyed last night's opener but it went too quick, lol.
    Yes, Claire was annoying (or endearingdepending on your view) but I honestly thought Jordan or Iain was going. They were pretty bad (& Jordan has got on my nerves already).
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen it appears to be a kind of Bake Off does Strictly It Takes Two...

Oh dear. That means Boyzone will be there, pretending to have watched the program. And Michael Ball.......
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    Claire was a goner for me the second the backchatted Paul with her huffy "it's your opinion" retort.

Thankfully they kept The Amityville Horror music at an absolute minimum during the outdoorsy interludes.

I hope him with the yellow hair slides finds the time to fit in a trip to Claire's Accessories to upgrade to some good old fashioned elasticated hair bobbles. The slides look a bit precarious. I
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to comment, but having skim read the thread: gosh, what an unpopular man Jordan is here. I must be out here on my own as I thought he was great. Not necessarily a great baker, but a great personality. I really warmed to him. But then I thought Norman was sweet too, and I love seeing the older generation (sorry, I can't remember the oldest contestant's name) baking - no modern fancy fly-by-night rubbish, but proper old-fashioned, reliable baking.

It was obvious to me from the outset that Claire was going to go. Perhaps a combination of too much exposure early on, coupled with the fact that nothing she made really seemed that great. The disaster at the end just sealed her fate. I wonder how she managed to make the final 12 in the first place as nothing she did seemed remarkably good.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen it appears to be a kind of Bake Off does Strictly It Takes Two... There will be an interview with the leaving contestant and some filming which didn't make the final programme and some guests in the studio with Jo Brand.

I'll give it a whirl this week and then see what I think

I wonder when it's recorded; after the panel have been able to read the commnets on here - "well, some viewers said x-y-z", with luck?
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I wonder how she managed to make the final 12 in the first place as nothing she did seemed remarkably good.
    When I'm lost to explain someone's presence, like the man who made a Union Jack cake a year or two ago, the nice me suggests that they might create fantastic bread or pies...but because they don't make it through the first week of cake we never see their masterworks.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emms wrote: »
    So glad to see GBBO back and un-messed about with now it's on BBC1 :)

With hindsight I think Claire's departure was signposted by the amount of air time she got, they knew she would only have the one episode. I have to confess that I was finding both her and Jordan rather irritating, so I wasn't entirely sorry to see her go. I'm grumpy by nature, so I don't take well to excessive joviality :p Also, I agree that I wouldn't want to eat anything Jordan had produced because he looks slightly unhygienic... Favourite last night were Richard, Martha and Chetna, but also liked Nancy, Kate and Iain.

I have been lucky enough to get myself a Kitchenaid since last year, but now I have oven envy instead!

I said to the OH that I thought she would go because of the air time she got.

I'm interested to see what's in the Friday show.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    When I'm lost to explain someone's presence, like the man who made a Union Jack cake a year or two ago, the nice me suggests that they might create fantastic bread or pies...but because they don't make it through the first week of cake we never see their masterworks.
    That could well be the case. The scary part of that, though, is that according to Kate's profile page, she feels that cakes are her strong point and she didn't exactly shine with the cakes, even though Claire, Jordan and Iain all did worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/4tzcYPQns9JLk4QpdTkh1HT/kate
    http://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/bakers/kate/

I haven't read through the whole thread (lazy, I know) but am I the only one who found Iain's beard very off-putting? I used to work with a guy with a long beard and I'm not sure he ever brushed it because hairs from his beard used to litter the office and rather revolted me. I just kept imagining hairs from Iain's beard dropping into the food and got a bit nauseated by the thought of it.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fern3 wrote: »
    Oh dear. That means Boyzone will be there, pretending to have watched the program. And Michael Ball.......

Jessica Hynes and Lee Mead were the worst I've seen!
  • Options
    TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to make a quick de-lurk and join the thread :) So glad that moving to BBC1 hasn't changed GBBO much, it's as lovely as always!

Quick impressions:
    Claire - had a feeling she'd go. I went from liking her initially, to being irritated by her, to then liking her again towards the end.
    Chetna - I quite like her, although when I first heard her speak, I thought it was Zainab from EastEnders as she sounds really similar to Nina Wadia. I'm probably not going to get that out of my head now, am I?
    Martha - she seemed quite sweet. I don't normally like the young females (I am one myself) but she could be an exception. One thing though, I hope she doesn't keep going 'because it's Paul and Mary', 'because it's Mary Berry' etc - that could really put me off her. This week I could understand because it was week 1, but if she keeps saying it.....
    Diana - Haven't really got much of an opinion on her yet. I just call her 'WI woman' in my head so I remember the name.
    Kate - I really liked her, she has a bit of a Sophie Thompson vibe about her. I can see her going a bit quirky in later weeks.
    Nancy - I think she'll be the new Christine from last series (who was my favourite). Traditional but with a few modern twists perhaps.
    Enwezor - Not sure on him yet. I don't think he was featured much? I think he'll probably go early.
    Iain - Werewolf! And yet if you take away the beard and just look at the face, he looks like someone - possibly Peter Crouch? It's going to bug me all series I reckon. I quite like him though.
    Jordan - It might just be me, but I see him as Tim Anderson's (Masterchef winner from a few years ago who was American and was a bit quirky and really into Japanese food) British, much more annoying, younger brother. I think he'll go around week 3 or 4 maybe.
    Luis - loved his first bake! I have a feeling he'll get to halfway or thereabouts.
    Norman - I think he'll be one where you like what he produces, without necessarily liking him. Will probably get to around the same point as Luis.
    Richard - Wasn't Rob from last series a builder? (Went out about week 6) In any case, I was pleasantly surprised with what he came up with for the first bake, could be one to watch.

My prediction for top 3: I think it will probably be out of the women again this year (what's it been so far? Mixed final for S1, all female for S2, all male for S3 and all female for S4?), and I'd say Kate and Nancy will probably be there. Martha also has a good chance, but depends how she goes in the next few weeks - Ruby didn't have the best of starts last year, and had some dodgy bakes further on, but still got there. Out of the men, maybe Richard or Iain if he improves.

So my week 1 choices for top 3 will go Kate, Nancy, and then either Richard or Martha.
  • Options
    Mighty ZedMighty Zed Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Shame that An Extra Slice isn't directly after the show but I'm sure I'll be watching.

I thought that the timing of the follow up show " An Extra Slice" was strange too but just realised that it is on immediately before the Beeb's new series " Sweets made Simple" and they're probably hoping to hook some GBBO fans to raise their early ratings.
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

You may have a point there.
    So my week 1 choices for top 3 will go Kate, Nancy, and then either Richard or Martha.

I am not sure about Martha getting to the end. I agree, she is lovely, but I have a sneaking feeling that her lack of experience will tell in the end. If I am wrong, at least she seems a more cheerful and positive person than Ruby appeared to be last series.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Because she's young. Because it's a vastly popular show and they NEED a story because they must talk about the popular thing. Trouble is the popular thing hasn't started yet so they can only go on the profiles and hers is the 'story' because she's young. Simple as that.

As for this thread being in Reality, well if The Apprentice is in that section then this probably should be too.

They need to "Up" the Ruby factor from last year.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    The history bit is back next week! Thank god for that, other than its absence it was an excellent start to the series, no obvious changes made for the channel move.

Early favourites - Norman, Nancy, Martha and Chetna.
    Richard the Builder could be a dark horse.

Jordan the Geek - out next week.

And I like Kate.;-)
  • Options
    TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    You may have a point there.

I am not sure about Martha getting to the end. I agree, she is lovely, but I have a sneaking feeling that her lack of experience will tell in the end. If I am wrong, at least she seems a more cheerful and positive person than Ruby appeared to be last series.

I'm agreed with you on the Ruby aspect - like I said, I don't normally like the young females on 'reality' TV shows (Dani Harmer and Chelsee Healey on Strictly are probably the only exceptions), but Martha hasn't proven to be annoying yet.

I think she'll probably get to top 5 at least, it seems she has quite a bit of knowledge and some creativity, which could see her go a fair way. At the moment, I do think Richard may get to the final instead of her, but I can see her being there or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got really annoyed that people assumed it was Ruby's age that made people dislike her. I just found her constant moaning - even when she was told she'd done well - really irritating, she really brought the mood down! In fact Claire was irritating me in the same way so I'm quite glad she'd gone.

(I realise they edit these shows so both Ruby and Claire might be really upbeat for most of the time so it's more a comment on how they were portrayed than them as people.)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    I got really annoyed that people assumed it was Ruby's age that made people dislike her. I just found her constant moaning - even when she was told she'd done well - really irritating, she really brought the mood down! In fact Claire was irritating me in the same way so I'm quite glad she'd gone.

(I realise they edit these shows so both Ruby and Claire might be really upbeat for most of the time so it's more a comment on how they were portrayed than them as people.)

The trouble is that people remember Ruby too much because of the persona made up by the tabloids and people online. She lacked confidence but I remember her for her ability to improvise and give a good result from something that looked as if it would be a disaster. I saw some Tweets from her a couple of days ago where she was joking about who will take her role in the new series.

The schoolgirl in the new series might lack experience but she could make up for it with an ability to learn quickly with being more used to being in a learning environment than older contestants.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No disrespect folks but can we talk about the bakers from THIS series? The whole argument about Ruby got boring enough last time round without it spilling over into this series which she's not even taking part in...

I do find Martha a bit precocious but she seems a very nice person with the right kind of positive attitude. I think she deserves to stand or fall on her own merits, not in comparison to an extremely divisive contestant from a year ago.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen that the companion programme is hosted by Jo Brand as it's such a well worn gag and part of her act that she likes cake. I find her irritating, but i'll give it a go and hope she doesn't do her act and just gets on and presents it, and also that it follows the format of The Apprentice:You're Fired as opposed to Strictly:It Takes Two. As others have said, the scheduling seems a bit off, losing impetus from not following the main programme, but we'll see how it does.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    No disrespect folks but can we talk about the bakers from THIS series? The whole argument about Ruby got boring enough last time round without it spilling over into this series which she's not even taking part in...

I do find Martha a bit precocious but she seems a very nice person with the right kind of positive attitude. I think she deserves to stand or fall on her own merits, not in comparison to an extremely divisive contestant from a year ago.

Tell you what, maybe you should put me on IGNORE, because I'm highly unlikely to get through the whole 10 weeks without mentioning anything or anyone from another series.