Options

A drug addiction storyline for Ben Mitchell?

StubeStube Posts: 16,834
Forum Member
✭✭
It would make sense I think. At some point in the near future he's going to return to the square and when he does, he's not going to be forgiven easily. He'll have a lot of demons from both before prison and in prison. His father was a drug addict and we've already seen "like father like son" traces in him regardless of whether he wants them or not. I think it'd also be a great opportunity for EE to actually do a drug addiction well for once these days (I've heard Nick's one back in the day was really good).

I think that when he arrives, he should have a few easy light-hearted storylines since he left on quite a heavy note. But after 6 months or so, I'd like to see this storyline happen.

Comments

• Options
    DreamHavenDreamHaven Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    It would make sense I think. At some point in the near future he's going to return to the square and when he does, he's not going to be forgiven easily. He'll have a lot of demons from both before prison and in prison. His father was a drug addict and we've already seen "like father like son" traces in him regardless of whether he wants them or not. I think it'd also be a great opportunity for EE to actually do a drug addiction well for once these days (I've heard Nick's one back in the day was really good).

I think that when he arrives, he should have a few easy light-hearted storylines since he left on quite a heavy note. But after 6 months or so, I'd like to see this storyline happen.

he would probably come as a drug dealer
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's still to come out about Dean that he's a drug addict (he was rubbing his eyes and nose in a scene in the Vic the other day, it was a dead giveaway) but I actually like the thought of a few characters in the square (obviously that would have included Lucy but also maybe Ben and Jay, maybe even Max) having a drug habit due to a dealer who's hiding in plain site; someone like Charlie, for example, or Aleks.

It could potentially be a very interesting storyline to see how a few characters become embroiled in it, and it would explain some of the erratic behaviour we've been seeing from some of them recently.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouid actually like to see this for Johnny rather than Ben, perhaps Ben's bad influence will take Johnny into darker territory and will show us what Sam Strike can do as an Actor.
  • Options
    Neu IntentionNeu Intention Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I wouid actually like to see this for Johnny rather than Ben, perhaps Ben's bad influence will take Johnny into darker territory and will show us what Sam Strike can do as an Actor.

Don't wish that on poor Johnny! :(

It would make more sense for Ben or someone deeply affected by recent events on the Square to turn to drugs - I can see other Carters like Tina or even Mick more likely. In fact Johnny is one of the least likely people on the Square currently who I'd expect to turn to drugs. And again you're assuming that Johnny and Ben will get together (which they hopefully won't).

Johnny does need a big storyline soon, just not Ben related or anything so outrightly dark from the usual norm. It has to keep with Johnny's character and be believable.

EDIT: If anything Johnny would more likely be taken advantage of and/or try to help someone with a drug addiction, like Dean or (in the worst case scenario) Ben. Maybe he'll find drugs or find out someone is on drugs and try to help them - with somewhat success.
    Additionally it would be better if Johnny wasn't romantically involved with the drug addict, maybe a relative or friend. And then eventually Johnny will end up outing said drug addict to their family and getting blamed for not saying anything sooner when the poor guy was trying to do the right thing, either through loyalty to that person or being threatened by that person (or both).
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think somehow Peter is connected to drugs in some way, I still think it will be revealed at some point that those drugs that Lucy had were Peter's and she was covering for him. Lucy was many things but no way could I see her taking drugs, she was far to smart for that. Peter on the other hand...he spent time in Devon and his behavior even before Lucy's death was somewhat erratic. It could also mean that Peter was on drugs the night Lucy died and perhaps has had a memory lapse and is involved in her killing in some way. I still recall the promo of Peter burying things at the Allotment which showed to me he wanted to bury secrets that Lucy had and I am sure drugs was one of them.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's still to come out about Dean that he's a drug addict (he was rubbing his eyes and nose in a scene in the Vic the other day, it was a dead giveaway) .

He's been doing that for a while: I noticed a few weeks ago too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    He's been doing that for a while: I noticed a few weeks ago too.

Exactly. It's either something Matt Di Angelo does without noticing or, more likely, it's a major hint that he's on drugs.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »

He will be forgiven easily as TPTB will make everybody so utterly shit scared of Philth's short, chubby wrath that no one will dare say a word.

Sad but true. >:(
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. It's either something Matt Di Angelo does without noticing or, more likely, it's a major hint that he's on drugs.

I've also noticed this but until someone mentioned that it could be drugs, I didn't take much notice and just thought it was Matt.

This was the first time I noticed it - at 3:14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKsBgeoec28

I've always thought there was a reason why Dean was introduced the week Lucy died and then disappeared for a month. I also think Ben's involved somehow. I don't think him or Dean are dealers, but they could definitely have something to do with the drug element of Lucy's death.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I've also noticed this but until someone mentioned that it could be drugs, I didn't take much notice and just thought it was Matt.

This was the first time I noticed it - at 3:14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKsBgeoec28

I've always thought there was a reason why Dean was introduced the week Lucy died and then disappeared for a month. I also think Ben's involved somehow. I don't think him or Dean are dealers, but they could definitely have something to do with the drug element of Lucy's death.

All David's eating constantly was pre-planned and built up to his heart attack. Could be clues about Deano being planted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's still to come out about Dean that he's a drug addict (he was rubbing his eyes and nose in a scene in the Vic the other day, it was a dead giveaway) but I actually like the thought of a few characters in the square (obviously that would have included Lucy but also maybe Ben and Jay, maybe even Max) having a drug habit due to a dealer who's hiding in plain site; someone like Charlie, for example, or Aleks.

It could potentially be a very interesting storyline to see how a few characters become embroiled in it, and it would explain some of the erratic behaviour we've been seeing from some of them recently.

This sounds like a great idea. Perhaps Dean, Jay and one of the older characters??
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't he messed up enough?
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All David's eating constantly was pre-planned and built up to his heart attack. Could be clues about Deano being planted

That's very true! David was shown eating a lot for a good 6 months before his heart attack. I think DTC could definitely have written this so we will see I suppose.
    dd68 wrote: »
    Isn't he messed up enough?

Ben could be using drugs to try and deal with everything - him and Dean could have a lot in common if all this is correct - prison at a young age and then a drug habit to deal with everything.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,871
    Forum Member
    I do not find drug addict storylines entertaining or good to watch in anyway. No more of these storylines I say.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Only if Sam, Phil, Peggy, Jay, Ronnie and Roxy get their baseball bats out again to lock him in a room :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CamCam wrote: »
    This sounds like a great idea. Perhaps Dean, Jay and one of the older characters??

Thanks, I really do think it would work well with the current element of mystery in EE. I could also maybe see Abi being involved; it may explain her poor exam results and jumpy behaviour?

I'm sure there's more to come out about Charlie - you don't get a car like that through petty theft. Nick's text to him saying 'I'm onto you' might have been related to him dealing drugs. We've got Rainie as well; where is she getting the crack from? So Charlie could easily be the dealer at this point, and this could have been one of the reasons he was so keen to stay in the square, because he's built up a list of regular punters there.

I definitely think Dean is on drugs but I expect more to come out on this storyline, and for it to link to Lucy's death in some way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the Dean theory but I was talking more about a storyline primarily focusing on drug use and effects. I feel that Dean has too many storylines going on at the moment for drugs to really be touched on properly.

The drug addiction idea for Ben came about simply because he'll need somewhere to go as a character once he returns which is realistic. A cliche villain would be terrible, a sudden saint would be unbelievable - I think the logical step would be to show his vulnerable, weak side. There could be some potentially powerful stuff if his drug use affected Lexi in some way.
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This would be a fantastic story
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    or better yet try and be a bit more realistic and highlight the fact there are recreational drug users that don't become addicted. Ones what use at the weekend then work their 9-5 everyday of the week and are normal useful productive members of society.

Not everyone becomes an out of control addict after 1 or 2 sessions like what soaps lead you to believe.

of course this what i said will never happen because the show and its writers would be crucified by the media. When we all know what kind of habits people within that world have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne B wrote: »
    or better yet try and be a bit more realistic and highlight the fact there are recreational drug users that don't become addicted. Ones what use at the weekend then work their 9-5 everyday of the week and are normal useful productive members of society.

Not everyone becomes an out of control addict after 1 or 2 sessions like what soaps lead you to believe.

of course this what i said will never happen because the show and its writers would be crucified by the media. When we all know what kind of habits people within that world have.

I agree with you but it would just be seen as glamorising drug use. I think that's what the likes of Skins is for. It'd never work in a primetime soap.